The Original FlipPac Prototype?

Bella PSD

Explorer
Images now linked to show up in thread.
First%20Flip%20Pac%203.jpg

First%20Flip%20Pac%201.jpg
You rock! That's exactly the ad I was thinking about!

billy bee

Adventurer
My FP has a build date and a S/N hand written on the rear window frame. May be useful to track not just this original FP but also other FP's. There are few enough of these around that there may be some value to future FP'ers to have the additional data.

As you can see, mine is #7088, built in August 2003:
smugshot6186308-XL.jpg

It is a full-size, short bed unit that was custom painted green (a GM color) for the original owner, from whom I purchased it.

bb

Attachments

• smugshot6186308-XL.jpg
    smugshot6186308-XL.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 9

brian90744

American Trekker
Billy.
That is not the serial number, it is the model #. According to Miss D @ FP mine is ford ranger model=7079

My FP has a build date and a S/N hand written on the rear window frame. May be useful to track not just this original FP but also other FP's. There are few enough of these around that there may be some value to future FP'ers to have the additional data.

As you can see, mine is #7088, built in August 2003:
smugshot6186308-XL.jpg

It is a full-size, short bed unit that was custom painted green (a GM color) for the original owner, from whom I purchased it.

bb

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
no DOM

No, I looked over the unit no DOM. I brought my unit used from northern Calif person. they said it was 5 years old????.
thanks=brian

Cheyenne Barr

Barrtop, now the FlipPac

Hi there!

I was getting all nostalgic and started looking through photos of the camper. I grew up in the BarrTop. Dwight Barr, my grandfather invented it. I'm 27 and as far back as I can remember I was in a BarrTop, so that was at least the early 80's.

My grandfather loved to rough it while his wife, Mary Barr needed comfort. The BarrTop was one at least a few inventions about making camping more comfortable and was totally inspired by her. Everyone in our family had a BarrTop. In fact, we needed to hide the trucks from the parking lot for a surprise party for him because he certainly would have known what was up seeing BarrTops filling the parking lot.

When I was a kid my dad would open ours up in our driveway and I would camp inside with my friends or just hang out and play.
Here's what looks like his patent.
He is really an incredible person, and I miss him dearly. Just before he passed away, he wrote this book.

It makes me so happy to see that people are appreciating it so much. Whenever I see one, I can't stop smiling.

suntinez

Explorer
That's very cool - thanks for stopping by!!

Patent drawings here, filed in 1977. I always liked the barn door better on these things :)

Last edited:

trump

Adventurist
Hi there!

I was getting all nostalgic and started looking through photos of the camper. I grew up in the BarrTop. Dwight Barr, my grandfather invented it. I'm 27 and as far back as I can remember I was in a BarrTop, so that was at least the early 80's.

My grandfather loved to rough it while his wife, Mary Barr needed comfort. The BarrTop was one at least a few inventions about making camping more comfortable and was totally inspired by her. Everyone in our family had a BarrTop. In fact, we needed to hide the trucks from the parking lot for a surprise party for him because he certainly would have known what was up seeing BarrTops filling the parking lot.

When I was a kid my dad would open ours up in our driveway and I would camp inside with my friends or just hang out and play.
Here's what looks like his patent.
He is really an incredible person, and I miss him dearly. Just before he passed away, he wrote this book.

It makes me so happy to see that people are appreciating it so much. Whenever I see one, I can't stop smiling.

Wow, welcome to ExPo and thanks for posting this. I've been enjoying the successor of your grandfathers' original design. Just out of curiosity... were you the rebellious teenager referenced in the book. :p

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Great stuff here. Amazing history of our Flippacs/BarrTops. Thank you all for sharing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior