The Original FlipPac Prototype?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
This was posted FS here recently by member JESSE A, I am documenting it in this section for historical value. Pretty sure this is the original prototype, serial number 1!

I know of the history between Six Pac and Flip Pac, and of the split, but I have never heard of Barr Industries and I never knew the design was this old. Now if someone... cough... Ursa Minor... cough... would just take this concept to the next level!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...pack-drop-in-type-camper-for-sale-in-(so-cal)

Some highlights:

"It has some shelving built inside with tons of storage and can sleep 2 in the upper bed and the table can be removed to sleep one persone or a small couple, this thing has tons of space and works very well.The tag on the inside says it is the #1 proto type built in 1977."

"7 feet long, 16 inch bed depth, 57 inches from the roof to the bottom of the door, 45 inches from the bottom of the bed to the roof, and 63 inches wide, the rachet straps on the inside make an x to keep the tent/matress/sleeping bag up nice and tight when folded up I just remove them after the camper is open and all set up."

"Skinned with aluminum with a woods core and paneling on the inside,I as far as I know it is the same as a flip pack I've never actually seen one, its old but I think that's what makes it really cool!"

"Pretty sure this is flip pac #1, as described by US4176873"

camper.jpg

camper203.jpg

camper204.jpg

camper202.jpg

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
Interesting that the phone number is a 714 area code, but a Santee address. To my knowledge Santee has always been a 619 area code.

kjp1969

Explorer
Barr Industries Inc. in Santee was formed in 1977 and currently suspended.
There is another Barr Industries Inc. in San Clemente that is active:
Barr Industries, Inc. 940 Calle Negocio, Suite 105A, San Clemente, CA. It's an office building, doesn't look like a manufacturing business.

homemade

Adventurer
I wish they would make a rooftop tent that works the same way.

They used to. A few years ago I saw one on their web page, the advertisement photo had it on top of a minivan (astro van I think). Who knows, if you contact them maybe they can still make one for you, It would be the standard flippac top on a shallow tray if I recall correctly.

suntinez

Explorer
They used to. A few years ago I saw one on their web page, the advertisement photo had it on top of a minivan (astro van I think). Who knows, if you contact them maybe they can still make one for you, It would be the standard flippac top on a shallow tray if I recall correctly.

Yep - at FRP there is a picture of something called a "Flippac Jr" mounted on a red Suburban. It's basically two lids which are hinged together instead of the truck shell hinged to a lid. Mounted on a rooftop rack, done several years ago.

[edit - it was an explorer]
flippacjr.jpg

I've explained to Homer that there is a market for this thing, but ... he's busy with other stuff. :snorkel:

I like the flippac proto #1 posted here, a few more options for an interior buildout and it could fly! This one kinda reminds me of the BellaPSD (Louie's) build from a few years ago.

Last edited:

CLynn85

Explorer
I believe this came up on craigslist sometime back. I remember it pictured on the back of a white 90's Toyota with a mediocre amount of information about it.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I believe this came up on craigslist sometime back. I remember it pictured on the back of a white 90's Toyota with a mediocre amount of information about it.

I save way to much stuff....Picture of Ressie Flip (I think) from craigslist a long while back.
First Flip Pac 1.jpgFirst Flip Pac 3.jpg

Louie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles