Critique my first aid kits

I'm about to set off on the next leg of my trip, driving solo from the states to South America and back. My medical training is limited to what I learned as a scout and a little bit of reading and practice since then. I don't have any specific medical conditions to account for - this is just general preparedness.

My gear is divided into 3 kits.

portable / hiking kit
  • bandaids
  • moleskin
  • tape
  • antihistamine
  • ibuprofen
  • triple-antibiotic
  • alcohol wipes

common items kit for the vehicle
  • Quick Clot packets
  • disinfectant wipes
  • various bandaids & moleskin
  • tape
  • ace bandage
  • common OTC meds
  • triple antibiotic
  • antifungal ointment
  • disposable gloves

the unexpected trauma kit that I hope I never have to open
  • Alcohol, betadine, peroxide
  • Toolkit with pliers, wire snips, fancy nail cutter, flashlight, shears
  • laceration kit with a large quick clot sponge, bandaids, gauze, tape and adhesive bandages
  • burn kit with newskin, burn cream, gauze
  • splint kit with SAM splint, tape, triangle bandages, ace wrap
  • suture kit with prep pads, gauze, sutures, steri strips, tape
  • scalpal kit with hemostat, scalpal, tweezers
  • CPR barrier & gloves
  • mylar blanket
  • poison ivy / skin ointment
  • extra moleskin

This is drop-dead time for anything I want to order and keep in the kit. Any thoughts?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
CPR mask wise get a proper pocket mask for CPR-for example Laerdal Pocket Mask
add Dust masks and protective glasses

Anti histamine for alergies you never knew you had !

Once apon a time in Venezuela I found out I'm alergic to Ocelots ! only for a friend with drugs I may have ended up with serious problems !

If your travelling alone in the truck a sign or sticker showing where your first aid kit is may help in the case of you being involved in an accident- its unlikely fellow locals have anything but a dirty t-shirt to help but many may have had basic training through work or hobies

kneedragger

looks pretty good, did you include benadryl and Amonium AD??

I also like lots of sterile gauze for packing wounds or pading. I also like the military israeli bandages and torniquets.

Chris2000XJ

I second the tourniquet and israeli bandage. At the very minimum a tourniquet is a necessity, and should be a requirement of any aidkit. SOFT-T or CAT.

You can solve most problems involving blood with 4x4's and an ace bandage, so the israeli bandage while not a necessity is a huge convenience.

Thanks. I have an israeli bandage and dropped the peroxide. I never gave much thought to a tourniquet - I just figured I'd improvise with my belt if it came down to it but reading about the CAT tourniquet I can see the benefit.

I don't imagine I'll have much luck finding a good tourniquet in Mexico (I'm on the road now).

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Toss in a few Feminine hygiene maxi-pads. Those can also be used as trauma pads. Dual purpose.
Superglue. Lots of wounds are being closed this way today.
A blood pressure cuff and stethoscope can be a good tool for determining condition.

Anti-histamines for sure. A stethoscope and BP cuff might not be very useful to you if you're not carrying anything to combat low/high BP. Bring tylenol/advil as well.

Derek G

Observer
More gloves! First rule of first aid is BSI, body substance isolation. Get a box of nitrile gloves in case the person you are helping is allergic to latex. While it doesn't have to be in your kit, think of things on your rig that you could use for splinting (tent pole?) Also, learn how to take blood pressure and get a BP cuff and stethoscope. After a traumatic accident, a persons BP can be the first indication of whether or not they are going into shock. If you're in the back country and a person is going into traumatic shock, you can relay this info to first responders, at which point they may upgrade to sending a helo as opposed to a ground ambulance if the initial trauma doesn't seem that bad. BP is your first indicator of major internal injuries that you can not see.

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
right now im having to go a wound treatment doctor and have learned about silver packing strips. it not something i would keep in a kit that constantly be exposed to extreme heat. this material fights infection in wounds and needs to changed daily. it would serve you well with lacerations that cant be stitched or become and open wound during the healing process.

glove both latex and none latex,alcohol for sterilizing utensils and hand sanitizer

Holger

Observer
I wouldn't take a tourniquet.
I don't see a need.
With knowledge of the pressure points and a good pressure bandage I can stop pretty much every bleeding wound.

A Sam splint is very useful and lightweight.

More important take a good first aid manual and do a good first aid course.

For more in depth info you need to tell us where you going, how remote, size of the group and so on.
This link might be helpful:

http://http://www.applyfirstaidnorthernrivers.com.au/how-to-customize-a-first-aid-kit.html

Last edited:

DesertJK

Adventurer
Toss the peroxide. The cell damage it can do is not worth it.
If you or anyone in your group is over 40 put some chew able aspirin in the kit and learn to recognize heart problems.
A blood pressure cuff and stethoscope can be a valuable tool in recognizing the signs of shock, heart attack, and other system malfunctions that often happen after trauma. You need to know how to use them though.
Quick clot isn't something you should go right to. I would only use it if there was no other choice but to keep moving because of a continued threat. There are a bunch of reason the EMT's don't carry it.
If you can get a prescription for it, and learn how to use it (and when not to) get an Epinephrine auto injector (epipen) Anafalaytic (I know I spelled that wrong) shock can kill you in minutes if all of a sudden you find out your allergic to something.

My kit has the basics, plus:

2 liter bottle of O2, NRM mask, nasal canulas, and several sizes of OPA's and NPA's as well as a bag mask device.
One flutter valve for sucking chest wounds
A couple of 1000 ML saline bags and associated IV tools
A couple vials of Epinephrine (epipens cost too much)
and an AED.

I took over 600 hours of training to be allowed to carry and use this stuff, and even with that, I can only keep someone alive for a little while if they are seriously sick or injured. BTW, got most of the stuff in my kit provided to me by the fire department I volunteer for. My Jeeping and off road motorcycle skills mean I will be first on the scene of remote calls. I will also be on duty as an EMT during our wildland fire season this year. This is new to me, before this winter I only knew how to fix airplane and motorcycles, now I can sort of fix people.

My point is, training. The more you have, the more tools you can use, as well as being able to do more with less. If you live anywhere rural, most volunteer fire departments will get you trained if you can make a commitment to them. It is worth it in many ways.

David

Holger

Observer
What I offer notice in these threads is that people go totally overboard with trauma gear, but forget the most basic/ important thing:
Airway management, e.g. Guedel Airways and a resucitation bag ( bag& mask).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles