1978 Ford Crew Cummins hunting rig

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention after looking at your pictures to warn you about those c-clamps holding the topper down. I had a slightly smaller version in all 4 corners on mine. Forgot to check the tightness on them for about a month and JUST about lost the topper on the highway. Not sure why they started to come loose or if it was just the fiberglass on mine flexing. Ended up getting some bolt tightened clamps and haven't had an issue yet.

What are you running as far as exhaust goes? Just curious how you routed it really. Didn't see it in my extreme skimming of your build thread over on FTE.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
awesome truck, great body style with an awesome engine. Very jealous lol but congrats on having an awesome truck. Dont forget to post up more pics when u change stuff or mod anything.

Clutch

<---Pass
How loud is that cummins in the older style truck? And what are the mpg's are you fetching?

I go back and forth on gasser or diesel.

Got the go-a-head from my much better half, to sell our '73 VW Westy so I can finally get crew of that vintage myself, been wanting another 70's Ford F250 for a very long time now.

Higbean

Observer
I was a little worried about the volume so I put in a dynamat type product from Eastmans. The 1st gen Cummins is not all that loud compared to a 2nd gen. I was surprised the first time I fired it up at how quiet it was. It is louder than the 460 that was in there.

As for mpg's I'm around 15.5 freeway last I checked, but I haven't checked them since I tightened the bands in the tranny. Around town I've been getting 17 or so.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'm just going to say it again despite my hatred of having to repeat myself... Freakin' AWESOME!!

Higbean

Observer
Thanks Redthies! I saw your Crew and I'm a fan. Hard to go wrong with a Ford and a reliable diesel. Mines gone for the week getting the a/c installed. Ended up putting the condenser under the driver side with a couple of fans and a second evaporator under the back seat. Here's to hoping it freezes me out.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I know a guy in Norwood Colorado who was putting a Cummins in a '78 F350 super cab back in '00. I saw it part way through the swap when I stayed at his house on the way home from a winter in Mex. It must have been one of the earlier examples of this swap. I wish I had taken a closer look back then, but I was busy tweaking the injector pump on my diesel 60 series Land Cruiser. I sure know how cool this project was after the passage of a dozen years!

Are you in SoCal or??

Higbean

Observer
Took a few of my girls camping last weekend. They loved the camper. As a matter of fact, they wanted to sleep in it. It rained the second night and Mama and I were glad they did. Stayed dry and all our stuff stayed relatively dust free for the ride. I'm diggin the side doors. Made a deal with my buddies wife. Said I'd bring the firewood, if she brought the Sailor Jerry. I opened the side doors and stacked all the wood in the front of the bed. Thought I was in tall cotton until I saw the tiny bottle of Sailor they brought!
3bdc162a-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior