Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

Boat.man

Builder of Jeep stuff
We have had our new to us J30 for a couple months now and are loving it! Working on little things for our style of travel. I still like to be able to take the top off and run a soft top, so I built a hoist system using para cord, pulleys and a cheap 110V winch! It works great and I can have the top swapped over in about 30 minutes!

IMG_4261.jpgIMG_4264.jpg

KellyM

Adventurer
Hello all, am new to this site. Great info here! I am on the fence on wether to order a J30 vs going the rack / RTT route. Is there anyone in the South Bay of CA with one who may be willing to entertain a visit from me to check one out? I'm in Long Beach and would be willing to travel a bit to see one.

Thanks for everyone's time and have a great night!

CFitz - I'm in Palos Verdes. You are welcome to come by and check out mine, but it won't be available in PV until Sept. 9th. PM me if that works for you.

Kelly

goin camping

Explorer
Hello all, am new to this site. Great info here! I am on the fence on wether to order a J30 vs going the rack / RTT route. Is there anyone in the South Bay of CA with one who may be willing to entertain a visit from me to check one out? I'm in Long Beach and would be willing to travel a bit to see one.

Thanks for everyone's time and have a great night!

Hi there,

I'm in Santa Clarita about 100 seconds from I 5. You are more than welcome to stop by and check it out. Only takes a moment to pop it up and let you roam around inside.

I'm working from home so almost anytime is fine. Just send me a PM.

Eagle05

Adventurer
Big Bend

We had a great couple of nights at Big Bend National Park. We got there too late to get a backcountry permit the first night and stayed at the Chisos Basin campground. It was beautiful and the temperatures we perfectly chilly all night. The family that rolled in with high beams, air pumps, and screaming kids at midnight were all the more motivation to find something more remote the next night out. That said, it was nice getting the J30 out and actually being able to unzip the windows in a relatively bug free environment.

On a side note, does anyone have a part number for the heavier duty struts for the top? The solar panels and Maxtrax are a bit much for the standard issue ones.

Attachments

• Big Bend August 2017 20.jpg
    Big Bend August 2017 20.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Big Bend August 2017 21.JPG
    Big Bend August 2017 21.JPG
    467.6 KB · Views: 113

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Those tops seems really good ! But it must be harder to remove them if you wanna go topless.

6 rear factory bolts on the tub and 2 bolts up front on the roll bar. Unplug the power wire clip going up to the top. Hoist and remove. Not that much different then before. Although it is heavier and wants to fall forward on the floor because of the length.

Yvan06

6 rear factory bolts on the tub and 2 bolts up front on the roll bar. Unplug the power wire clip going up to the top. Hoist and remove. Not that much different then before. Although it is heavier and wants to fall forward on the floor because of the length.

Ohh that's nice then ! We have one similar available in France called Jeep Gazell but it's really expensive and need modification if I remember correctly.

autarkus

Had a chance yesterday to check out goin camping's J30. He was really generous to let me climb around on his jeep and stretch out in the tent.

Some quick notes after checking it out:

• Getting it set up was really quick. Two simple latches, tug on a release inside, then lift from the back. The longest part of the process is walking to the other side of the Jeep.
  • Easy to stand in the opening and enough room to get dressed without being a contortionist.
  • The bed length is generous and the bedding is comfortable.
  • My biggest concern was the height, since my garage at work has a low ceiling. After measuring, his is only about 6" taller.
  • They say 10" on the Ursa site, and it sounds like they have made little tweaks recently. Either way, I think I'll manage to fit.
  • Closing it was simpler than setting up. Tuck in the sides, press the top down until the catches engage, then swivel and close the latches.

It was around 100º out there before the rain. That brought up another topic, which is heat rejection and insulation. I have a black top that soaks up the sun and cooks my head on a sunny day. The J30 in white, with bedding overhead will take care of that problem nicely.

I couldn't find anything I didn't like, so it looks like I'm spending more money on the Jeep.

ExploringJeeps

First trip to the North Woods

We got out this weekend up to Minocqua Wisconsin for the first of many nights in our J30. We are taking shorter trips, to perfect our gear and the process of getting into the top efficiently. We definitely have a ways to go, but that is part of the fun. I will write up a full first impressions review and post that in a few days.
37035254995_d33eb5e053_c.jpg
[/url]MinocquaJeep-5 by tom Alicoate, on Flickr[/IMG]

Loving it so far.

goin camping

Explorer
We got out this weekend up to Minocqua Wisconsin for the first of many nights in our J30. We are taking shorter trips, to perfect our gear and the process of getting into the top efficiently. We definitely have a ways to go, but that is part of the fun. I will write up a full first impressions review and post that in a few days.
37035254995_d33eb5e053_c.jpg
[/url]MinocquaJeep-5 by tom Alicoate, on Flickr[/IMG]

Loving it so far.

I am looking forward to your trip report.

I like your simple and efficient camp set up. Quick and easy set up and tear down just make it all better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior