Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

dmulk

I know you posted this 6 years ago (I'm reading my way through the UM thread to learn everything I can). What storage solutions did you land on? The smitybilt product you linked to is interesting although I worry it might not play well with the UM headliner (I don't have one yet). I'm working on creating my own maximum storage solution now by essentially adding molle everywhere I can (sun visor, seat backs, headrest backs) as well as those jk gama bags on one side of the roll bar and superee bags on the forward side. I'm also working on a molle and bag solution on the ceiling of the trunk area that won't interfere with visibility. I would love to learn what you came up with!

On one of my visits to their San Diego facility, I had a look with Kris at my overhead MOLLE system and he mentioned that "most of them" have interfere issues in some way but it looked like mine wouldn't have any:

This one drops quite a bit for the spod type systems and I haven't had any issues with interference except occasionally with my head if I'm jumping back in the jeep quickly and don't slow down. Driving and jostling on the trails side to side isn't an issue. I'm 6FT. My brother is 6 3. No issues for with of us.

When is your delivery date?

I'm excited, I'm over the half way point finally and should get it sometime in March hopefully.

campertramper

I tried a little tarp experiment today. I took a 12ft. Kelty Noah tarp and attached it to the cargo basket on the roof of the J30. I used a carabiner through the tarp eye and hooked it far enough forward on the basket to provide coverage over the 2 back corners of the top. I then hoisted the J30 up. Staked out the opposite corner of the tarp by using a pole to give some height. I then staked the 2 sides.

The tarp is less than $100 (they are always on sale somewhere for less). It will provide sun and rain protection on the cheap. It will probably work on any J30 with a roof rack.

A few pics...

IMG_20150826_123350458_HDR-M.jpg

IMG_20150826_123441561_HDR-M.jpg

IMG_20150826_123518364_HDR-M.jpg
Do you still use this solution? How long does it take to setup?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Has anyone added any switches inside the sleeping compartment? I want to add some porch lights for things that go bump in the night and I'm looking for ideas. Last summer I heard my pots and pans rattling and turned a flashlight on to discover that a herd of cows was under my awning looking for leftovers! They were just as surprised as I was and started a midnight stampede. I still don't understand how my awning made it out in one piece, guy ropes and all! I found some lights that I think will work perfectly mounted to my awning brackets on each side. They were at harbor freight and the price was right. I'm going to try running the wires under the bulb seal and tent into the sleeping compartment.
IMG-1343.JPG

eytonpay

Has anyone added any switches inside the sleeping compartment? I want to add some porch lights for things that go bump in the night and I'm looking for ideas. Last summer I heard my pots and pans rattling and turned a flashlight on to discover that a herd of cows was under my awning looking for leftovers! They were just as surprised as I was and started a midnight stampede. I still don't understand how my awning made it out in one piece, guy ropes and all! I found some lights that I think will work perfectly mounted to my awning brackets on each side. They were at harbor freight and the price was right. I'm going to try running the wires under the bulb seal and tent into the sleeping compartment.
View attachment 697771

Post back after, Im looking to do the same thing with the awning mounts and lights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

campertramper

View attachment 697771
I love this idea! Did you get it to work?

campertramper

Can't get to the jeep for pictures right now but I installed the Velcro around the lip of the panel. On the top it is the very edge of where you access / opening into the top (I believe the top has a thin lip that runs all the way around). On the panels it is the edge lip where they sit in the top when closed (edge lip will be thinner than rest of panel). Put the loop or soft side of the Velcro on the top and the hook part on panels (keeps it from grabbing stuff when you climb in). I bought a roll of Velcro at Lowe's and cut it in half length wise as this is a pretty thin area.
I did the entire lip which can make it hard to open so you may consider doing only portions. If you do whole lip push panels up in the middle where they meet as you will have better leverage.
Thank you for taking the time to answer. The next time it is convenient, would you mind taking a few pictures for me/us?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I thought I'd leave a little update on my hinge tamers for keeping the tent out of the hinge. All of my supplies and tools are here except for shipping boxes and I've built a jig for replicating. I have produced and installed the first finished set on my JKU. I have 20 more sets halfway through production and will be revealing them soon (for reals)! It all depends on me getting time from my busy schedule to finish them. Christmas will be over soon, my kids will go their separate ways and I should get them buttoned up in the next two weeks. Thanks for your patience! Have a merry Christmas everyone!

campertramper

Here's what my wife and I use. Just enough for glasses and wallet. $10.00 for 4 in different sizes in the camping section of our local store.
Here is what I just succeeded in mounting to my loft headliner. It's the Big Agnes Gear Loft for Backpacking and Camping Tents: https://amzn.to/3HcG2Lm

The cordage was just long enough to run under the far rear headliner screws/washers and the second headliner screws forward after removing all of the factory knots. I tried to replicate Venture4wds solution with Blue Ridge Overland Gear but they are no longer taking customer orders for custom jobs which is what Chris had made. I was inspired by https://www.youmeandtheparks.com/posts/ursa-minor-j30-buyers-guide who similarly use a tent gear loft that no longer seems to be available from REI. This particular product fits and offers 6 different pockets. The little ones on the ends are phone sized and the middle pocket can accommodate a small ipad or kindle. This solution is not yet field tested and so I can not yet speak to durability, but I'm preliminarily feeling pretty optimistic about it!Screenshot_20211225-100229.png

Last edited:

dmulk

Here is what I just succeeded in mounting to my loft headliner. It's the Big Agnes Gear Loft for Backpacking and Camping Tents: https://amzn.to/3HcG2Lm

The cordage was just long enough to run under the far rear headliner screws/washers and the second headliner screws forward after removing all of the factory knots. I tried to replicate Venture4wds solution with Blue Ridge Overland Gear but they are no longer taking customer orders. I was inspired by https://www.youmeandtheparks.com/posts/ursa-minor-j30-buyers-guide who similarly use a tent gear loft that no longer seems to be available from REI. This particular product fits and offers 6 different pockets. The little ones on the ends are phone sized and the middle pocket can accommodate a small ipad or kindle. This solution is not yet field tested and so I can not yet speak to durability, but I'm preliminarily feeling pretty optimistic about it!View attachment 698628
What do you mean BRO isn't taking customer orders? Are they going out of business or something?

campertramper

What do you mean BRO isn't taking customer orders? Are they going out of business or something?
Venture4wd had his bags custom made and BRO isn't accepting custom orders anymore. Probably because they are so busy with their regular products.

Last edited:

campertramper

IMG_20180217_142246_969.jpgHow much does the shower unit on the rear bracket weigh when full? I really like this setup but I worry a little about the weight on the top and the potential fiberglass fatigue this may exert on the shell. If any engineers on this thread could address my question I would be grateful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles