Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

campertramper

campertramper

Does anyone know when the Ursa Minor mattress covers stopped being made out of sunbrella and started to be sewn out of gray/black tweed material? @Dan Grec has sunbrella (I'm not sure what his camper numbers is?) and I have gray/black tweed (#409). My other important question is, why did Ursa Minor change the fabric? - were there any meaningful disadvantages to using sunbrella?

Attached is a screenshot from https://ursaminorparts.com/collecti...oducts/j30-mattress-and-hatch-pad-cover-set-2 which states that 'Mattress covers at times were Sunbrella in various shades, current production is a gray/black high-wear tweed pattern.' - it just doesn't say 'why'.

Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 6.24.05 PM.png

I'm asking because I'm going to have a custom 3.5" foam mattress made for the top and I have to choose a fabric for it. I've already templated the 4 different pieces and I've tested the top with 4" of foam and it closes just fine without bedding. If anyone else out there is interested in such a solution, send me a message as I can order in bulk.

Last edited:

dmulk

@that_dude Alright Rick...pics or it didn't happen! (Hopefully it happened for you today. ?)

Also, confirmed versatie should be here this weekend. So there will at least be three of us out there with those racks. (Thanks again for your time answering questions @Gear ???)

-dan

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Does anyone know when the Ursa Minor mattress covers stopped being made out of sunbrella and started to be sewn out of gray/black tweed material? @Dan Grec has sunbrella (I'm not sure what his camper numbers is?) and I have gray/black tweed (#409). My other important question is, why did Ursa Minor change the fabric? - were there any meaningful disadvantages to using sunbrella?

Attached is a screenshot from https://ursaminorparts.com/collecti...oducts/j30-mattress-and-hatch-pad-cover-set-2 which states that 'Mattress covers at times were Sunbrella in various shades, current production is a gray/black high-wear tweed pattern.' - it just doesn't say 'why'.

View attachment 705772

I'm asking because I'm going to have a custom 3.5" foam mattress made for the top and I have to choose a fabric for it. I've already templated the 4 different pieces and I've tested the top with 4" of foam and it closes just fine without bedding. If anyone else out there is interested in such a solution, send me a message as I can order in bulk.

Sunbrella does not breath. It’s like sleeping on a waterproof mattress linear. The current black/grey fabric is more comfortable to sleep directly on. Just my .02 cents.

that_dude

@that_dude Alright Rick...pics or it didn't happen! (Hopefully it happened for you today. ?)

Also, confirmed versatie should be here this weekend. So there will at least be three of us out there with those racks. (Thanks again for your time answering questions @Gear ???)

-dan
Haha! It did. Picked up J30 #499 yesterday. It’s a Gen 3 as has sort of been discussed here. ? They now use the later style JK rear hatch glass, the interior hatch panels are now the same as the JL30–square opening, and the rain/drip gutters are molded in. There are other small updates. They said the lights are new and improvements were made in areas where they had problems with leaks.

And I could be wrong about this, but I think it’s taller in the rear than the previous gen. There appears to be more space between the top of the rear glass and third brake light (though I suppose the old glass style could have been narrower and taller, but I don’t know the dimensions of the old style glass). I didn’t ask when I was there because I didn’t really notice until I got home and realized the Jeeps is taller than I was anticipating by about 2.5”. I had figured I’d be within an inch of clearing my 7ft garage and could make it work….definitely not the case ?

F4B612DA-3D4F-4366-AB0C-E4D833EFC63D.jpeg5143C340-47DB-43FD-BD08-5360C6C062AB.jpeg

Last edited:

that_dude

I suspect this is something that John thought about doing, or it was a limited run that never came to market that he mentioned to Chris.
Another interesting product that I would definitely consider purchasing are the zippered mesh pockets that screw into the inside of the top of the camper. I believe Chris had BRO create something like this for him but they never came to market. Looks like UM has a some listed as OOS on their accessory page.

My planned solution will be using a molle panel that I've found on Amazon in it's place to give me some simple overhead slippered pockets.

-D

The Ursa ones are available now. ?

You have to go to ursaminorparts.com —> Menu—> Full Catalog—> Page 2.

They don’t show up under JK/JL J30 Parts and Accessories or Jeep Accessories.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
I didn’t ask when I was there because I didn’t really notice until I got home and realized the Jeeps is taller than I was anticipating by about 2.5”. I had figured I’d be within an inch of clearing my 7ft garage and could make it work….definitely not the case ?
Just get smaller tires! Do you have any pics of the new panels and how it looks inside the Jeep? Nice looking build you have going there!

that_dude

Just get smaller tires! Do you have any pics of the new panels and how it looks inside the Jeep? Nice looking build you have going there!
Haha. Cheaper and easier than making the garage opening taller for sure! I have a shop behind my house where it will fit, but it would be nice to park in the attached garage. I’ll figure something out.

I’ll get a pic of the inside soon…my kids are up there right now transferring the patch collection from the old hard top…they’re pretty stoked ?

And thanks! I think I’m pretty close to having all the major build stuff done now that I got the Ursa…. and my grab bar finally makes sense!
5F6F6B81-1D82-4D91-B02E-5C0F98F0F11C.jpeg

dmulk

Haha! It did. Picked up J30 #499 yesterday. It’s a Gen 3 as has sort of been discussed here. ? They now use the later style JK rear hatch glass, the interior hatch panels are now the same as the JL30–square opening, and the rain/drip gutters are molded in. There are other small updates. They said the lights are new and improvements were made in areas where they had problems with leaks.

And I could be wrong about this, but I think it’s taller in the rear than the previous gen. There appears to be more space between the top of the rear glass and third brake light (though I suppose the old glass style could have been narrower and taller, but I don’t know the dimensions of the old style glass). I didn’t ask when I was there because I didn’t really notice until I got home and realized the Jeeps is taller than I was anticipating by about 2.5”. I had figured I’d be within an inch of clearing my 7ft garage and could make it work….definitely not the case ?

View attachment 706035View attachment 706036
Man I'm glad I went with the L track for the racking....looks great! Mine should show up today or Monday. ?????

dmulk

Haha. Cheaper and easier than making the garage opening taller for sure! I have a shop behind my house where it will fit, but it would be nice to park in the attached garage. I’ll figure something out.

I’ll get a pic of the inside soon…my kids are up there right now transferring the patch collection from the old hard top…they’re pretty stoked ?

And thanks! I think I’m pretty close to having all the major build stuff done now that I got the Ursa…. and my grab bar finally makes sense!
View attachment 706057
Or just deflate the tires a bit to squeeze in...???

that_dude

That’s what I keep telling my wife after I make a major purchase too! I’ve got a fuel tank on the way presently. I really like the grab bar, where did you find that?

I mean I said I think ?

The grab handle is from Carolina Metal Masters.

Here are the pics of the Gen 3 interior (the kids got lazy/distracted with the patches—I’ll probably end up being the one up there fussing with them lol):
F0320A96-7672-4A72-9A77-C8F16499BFD5.jpegA0D9725E-14C3-4F9D-8C31-E015A1AE4C8D.jpeg60EBB7E6-50A3-45CA-A516-7EE5B8CB74A5.jpegC9FB4307-120C-4D9D-BDBD-2318F1228969.jpegBD2E5A5B-9F12-484C-8A33-7409FD37488C.jpeg6ECC227B-4DC3-4B31-8353-F76DB516A2B3.jpeg

that_dude

Man I'm glad I went with the L track for the racking....looks great! Mine should show up today or Monday. ?????

I need to install the arrowhead end caps and they will really look good. Not sure why Ursa didn’t install them, but they were in a box with my extra hardware.

Or just deflate the tires a bit to squeeze in...???

I don’t know… I’m at about 87” at my highest point on the Jeep. 85” is where the garage door header sits.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94