Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Is the bar clipped to the ceiling (just behind the center lamp) a prop that would prevent the top from closing? If so it is a great idea. If you had a heavy load on the roof (more than usual for the spec of the gas struts) then the prop would eliminately any potential sagging.

It also seems it would be possible to circumvent the hatches by simply climbing up the spare tire and going in through the rear windows instead.

View attachment 113935

That's exactly what the bar is for. Just swings down and sets onto the base just above the cushion. The spare tire thing might work, but I have the spare on the factory mount right now. One of the next things I'm looking at is a rear bumper/swing out carrier that will be more sturdy. I have someone who does fabrication, and I was considering a small ladder of sorts mounted to the swing out carrier that would be better than clambering over the tire...

Septu

Explorer
I can't decide!! I keep thinking this, or a Mongolia tent on a rack, or a trailer with the Mongolia...

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Have you installed a set of drawers or camp kitchen in the back of your Jeep?

The Ursa Minor web pages for the Wrangler pop top start here http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/jeep.htm
Pricing starts at $5250.

In most instances I prefer to cook away from my vehicle. I also like to be able to remove what I'm carrying, but still be able to use it in place. I found a 45 gallon "Power Packer" storage box at Home Depot - $50. It carries my stove, cooking equipment, and various assundries. It also doubles as a table w/built in cup holders in the top. Very sturdy, inexpensive, and I can lock it when I put it out in the bear locker, or when it's just riding around in the back of my Jeep.

964f4d9904f92052bd2b6e741bc5bfd8.jpg

I have a mid sized ice chest, but I'm considering several options which will depend on the length of the trip.

I also use a Yakima top box from time to time.

Last edited:

kerouac

I just sold my Westy to eventually purchase a jeep and the Ursa Minor J30. Thanks so much for posting these pics as I think you are one of the early adopters of this conversion. Couple of questions....

Once Ursa Minor does their work, do you lose the "convertible" aspect of owning a jeep? What I mean is, can you take the J30 off your jeep and put a soft top on for those sunny days you are just crusin around the city? This is a big one for us as one of the things we really are excited about is owning a convertible. I'm considering a GOBI rack and maggiolina but I really like the Ursa Minor product and will go this way if I can still keep my topless option by taking the unit on and off as needed.

Secondly, do you notice any top heavy feel; does it add much weight?

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I just sold my Westy to eventually purchase a jeep and the Ursa Minor J30. Thanks so much for posting these pics as I think you are one of the early adopters of this conversion. Couple of questions....

Once Ursa Minor does their work, do you lose the "convertible" aspect of owning a jeep? What I mean is, can you take the J30 off your jeep and put a soft top on for those sunny days you are just crusin around the city? This is a big one for us as one of the things we really are excited about is owning a convertible. I'm considering a GOBI rack and maggiolina but I really like the Ursa Minor product and will go this way if I can still keep my topless option by taking the unit on and off as needed.

Secondly, do you notice any top heavy feel; does it add much weight?

Yes, you can take it off just like any other top. You might want to set up a good "lift" system - places like Quadratec sell them - as the 200 or so lbs. is a little much for a couple of people like the stock top.

I found there was a significant reduction in heat radiating through the top. I had it in 103 degrees the other day, and I put my hand up to the roof and still cool to the touch.

I feel a slight change in the "weight" up top, but my suspension handles it w/o any "sway" or other issues.

I have found there is a little noise with the hatches slight movement when I hit some bumps so I'm working on seeing if I can do something to quiet it down w/o sacrificing the tight tolerance for the cutout. One option is to simply take them out and put them in the back if I know I'm doing some long term off road. Not a really big deal, just something to play with...

JJBiggs

Supporting Sponsor | SEES
I am absolutely loving this. It would be perfect for solo excursions. This has got me seriously thinking.

Is there a set of tracks on the top for a rack?

C.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
I am absolutely loving this. It would be perfect for solo excursions. This has got me seriously thinking.

Is there a set of tracks on the top for a rack?

C.

I had mine installed with the Yakima tracks. The front bases are in a fixed position as they are incorporated into the "pop up" mechanism attachment points. The rear bases are in tracks and have about 3 feet of adjustability, or you could put in a third set of bases to have three support bars.

udoxx

Observer
I always wondered how this style of tent is better than a RTT on a rack. What are the pros and cons?

kmacafee

Adventurer
I had this conversion on a Honda Element. The quality is first rate and it was quite comfortable sleeping up there.

JDaPP

Adventurer
Pros:
- Tent is always there
- does not affect gas mileage (best I can tell),
- do not have to store tent,
- if it is pouring rain I can literally stick my hand out the window, undo latch, pop it up from the inside and climb in
- I am able to use the interior space of the vehicle in conjunction with the tent to change clothes, stand up, etc

Cons
- Price, although a jeep hardtop + rack + tent are very close in price
- looks a little funny
- can't move it to anpother vehicle

I am sure I am missing quite a few but I will let others weigh in.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Easier setup/break down
Few places for rain/snow to collect with vertical walls and a hard top.
Lower profile
Less weight/height than a RTT, hard top, HD rack
Ability to carry things on the roof along with the tent
Ability to stand up inside
Never have to load a heavy RTT before a trip or decide if it's worth the hassle to load it.

I really like the setup but its hard to pass up so much additional space with the habitat. Both of those have their own pros and cons as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles