Thread: Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

So those awning brackets came from UrsaMinor? I'm going to have to drop John a line and see about getting a set. Thanks!

But first, I have to figure out what awning I'm going to get....

By the way, I REALLY like your Terraflex rack too. Damn! That is just a nice setup! Congrats!

Will latches on side be blocked by an awning? When I eventually get mine I plan on having the latches on front. How long of an awning are you getting?

Quote Originally Posted by vtmactech View Post
    Will latches on side be blocked by an awning? When I eventually get mine I plan on having the latches on front. How long of an awning are you getting?
    Mine is being built now. I have an ARB 2000 awning that will be attached to the side. When talking with John at Ursa Minor the 2000 will work with the latches on each side. Where he would have to move them to the front he said is if I went with the largest ARB awning. So I would imagine it will depend on what awning preference you have. Regardless I would imagine John could put the latches wherever you would like.
    Instagram @gobirubicon

Quote Originally Posted by vtmactech View Post
    On mine, the rear edge of each latch is 85" from the rear corner of the top.
    An ARB 2000 awning is ~79" give or take a bit for the bag, so it should fit just about perfectly with a couple inches to spare. - that's what i'm leaning toward at the moment.

The entire roof line of the jeep with j30 mounted is 92" long, so even if the latches were moved to the front, a 2500 at ~99" will have a bit of overhang front and\or rear. would still certainly work, but the 2000 feels like a better fit.

- put another way, the j30 roofline is 2340mm, so right in between the ARB 2000 and 2500 awnings that are conveniently named for their length...
    Last edited by JARunning; 01-02-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JARunning View Post
    On mine, the rear edge of each latch is 85" from the rear corner of the top.
    An ARB 2000 awning is ~79" give or take a bit for the bag, so it should fit just about perfectly with a couple inches to spare. - that's what i'm leaning toward at the moment.

The entire roof line of the jeep with j30 mounted is 92" long, so even if the latches were moved to the front, a 2500 at ~99" will have a bit of overhang front and\or rear. would still certainly work, but the 2000 feels like a better fit.

- put another way, the j30 roofline is 2340mm, so right in between the ARB 2000 and 2500 awnings that are conveniently named for their length...
    Chris Shontz with venture4wd has the 2500 Awning with the latches on the front. Here is a link to his thread here on Expo. This may help you see the length and all. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/th...ring-in-a-Jeep
    Instagram @gobirubicon

Here are a couple views of my J30 & ARB 2500 equipped jeep. The 2500 is more or less centered on the roof. The rear of the awning roughly aligns with a short awning on the back.

New buyers should be happy for the improvements to the brackets... now they are slotted to give you some built-in adjustment. I had to do some major drilling which was not fun given the relatively thick SS bar stock they are made from. Also, they look to be coated with LineX now. Mine were coated with more of a rattle can type liner. Also, if you haven't set on the awning vendor yet, suggest confirming bolt size. ARB works. I used to have a CVT that had larger bolts... It was easier to sell and replace than drill out 12 holes through the brackets. It would be a different story if you could put them on a drill press before mounting.

If you are thinking about a side awning I would definitely get the brackets at order time. The front attachment point is really tough to get at.

awning_side by MQ, on Flickr

awning_front by MQ, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grec View Post
    John has said numerous times a J30 for the JL Unlimited is a high priority, and they will get working on it the minute the dealer gives them a set of keys!

-Dan
    I wish he would say the same about a new J180. Man I love those things.

Also, something like this LoD sliding roof rack off the back of a J180 makes me smile. It would be like a mobile tree house. PS I hate sleeping on the ground.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep...-rack-400.html
    Attachment 430041
    Attachment 430042

Just out of curiosity, what roof racks is everyone using on these? I see several options listed on the build site.

ratled

Quote Originally Posted by ratled View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what roof racks is everyone using on these? I see several options listed on the build site.

ratled
    I got the Yakima mounts on mine. I didn't realize when I ordered that if you don't order the actual racks, then you don't get the adjustable mounts - the back mounts ones on mine don't slide fore/aft. I would have liked that feature, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever actually get a rack up there, so it might be a moot point.

Page 167 of 168 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168 LastLast