Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

cowboybirder

Observer
270 awning questions

I am interested in a 270 awning (either an Eziawn Bat or Alu-cab shadow. I would like to hear from anyone who has one and their experiences with them.
I know John has installed some and want to know if there if there have been any issues with the J30 top itself handling the weight load all on one corner.
Are there any issues with the awning interfering with opening the top? I have top #208 with the steel in the top for mounting.
Thanks, Gary

TheDriver

Observer
I too am interested in this Gary. I will placing an order shortly for the J30 and am wondering if the shadow will work or place too much stress on the mounting points. Other posts I've seen say that the end (pivot) of the shadow must be directly supported from behind to avoid flex and problems with the awning itself. Pictures I've seen of mounts fabricated for the awning have beefy welded multi-tube + plate arrangements directly behind the pivot. Anyone with experience on the combo please enlighten us :)

Thanks,

Chris

venture4wd

Supporting Sponsor
I too am interested in this Gary. I will placing an order shortly for the J30 and am wondering if the shadow will work or place too much stress on the mounting points. Other posts I've seen say that the end (pivot) of the shadow must be directly supported from behind to avoid flex and problems with the awning itself. Pictures I've seen of mounts fabricated for the awning have beefy welded multi-tube + plate arrangements directly behind the pivot. Anyone with experience on the combo please enlighten us

As a J30 and awning owner, I would be reluctant to install a Shadow Awn on a J30. While the J30, and its four mounting points, would undoubtably be sufficient to carry the stowed awning, when the Shadow Awn is deployed, the rear corner of the vehicle supports the bulk of the awning's weight. In the case of the J30, there is no material in that rear corner to support the awning. Custom bracketry with ample backing would be absolutely necessary at the rear corner of the camper shell.

The Shadow Awn is monstrous and introduces some unique challenges. In the event that it is successfully installed, I would also worry about the long-term fatigue that the awning would impose on the J30's structure. An unexpected and violent gust of wind with the awning deployed could wreak all kinds of havoc.

I'm not here to discourage. It's a beautiful awning, and the J30 itself is built like a tank. An engineer with enough determination might be able to devise a brilliant solution. However, as a consumer with experience with all of the aforementioned products, I would have great trepidation.

TheDriver

Observer
Thanks Christopher!

This confirms the gut feeling I had looking at the combo. I''ll come up with another (likely homebrew) awning solution that breaks down, can deal with wind, and that keeps the weight stowed low (inside) when not in use. As nice as the fast setup/takedown of the shadow is, not having 50+lbs up that high will be nice too. Plus the $1400 will cover a fridge and some more electrical items.

Chris

rubicon91

Explorer
Super Excited! I sold my trailer yesterday and today I just ordered my J30. I talked to John last week and he was saying delivery should be early to mid December. Hoping before the first of the year I will have it and on my Jeep. I cannot wait!!!

ratled

Adventurer
Anyone near the Reno area that would be willing to show off their J30? I'm having a tough time putting real life scale to all these outstanding pictures and videos.

ratled

ShawnB

Nomad
Great thread, thanks for all the useful info that has been posted.

Just ordered my J30, headed out to CA after the new year for the install, then off to Mexico and Central America to do some overlanding!

Bam2413

Observer
Update:

As posted earlier I had to unbolt the middle cross member on the roll cage to accommodate the open floor plan j30. To regain structural support I installed the 3rd row bar to the cage. Works perfectly and looks like it was made for the j30. Today I began modifications on the roll bar padding to work with the new 3rd row bar. Yes I had to dust off the sewing machine!

IMG_20171104_163506_358.jpg
IMG_20171104_163506_361.jpg
IMG_20171104_163506_360.jpg
IMG_20171104_163506_362.jpg

rubicon91

Explorer
I am due to have mine the week before Christmas. If it comes on time what a present for me. Beyond excited and ready to get it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

IDRMOFJEEPING

What did you all do with the back seat, take it out, fold it down, build a platform? I'm getting my J30 installed on Monday! Super excited!

ShawnB

Nomad
What did you all do with the back seat, take it out, fold it down, build a platform? I'm getting my J30 installed on Monday! Super excited!

Personally taking the back seat out and building a flat platform. Storage underneath and a nice step up for getting in the J30.

rubicon91

Explorer
I will eventually get the 60% delete from goose gear to go with my floor plate and side cubbies but for now or better yet when mine is finally here and installed I will just have the rear seat folded down. I have kids that utilize the rear seats. So I will just make due.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94