Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

NFRs2000NYC

Adventurer
I may have missed it, but does anyone have photos of the optional solar battery setup? Curious how flush/seamless it is, especially if one gets it with the black roof option.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
Dang those look kind of bulky and "afterthought." I was hoping they had something a bit more built-in and streamlined.

I dunno... if I was running a business I would do the same. Solar panels come and go in the market, their dimensions change. Customers bring their own or want to change them out later due to different needs or perhaps problems with existing panels. The more "built-in" you make them the less likely you can accomidate what the next customer wants or what is currently available for sale from solar panel company X or Y or Z. Not to mention building in more complexity to the top for someone who doesn't want panels.

Caelan

Dang those look kind of bulky and "afterthought." I was hoping they had something a bit more built-in and streamlined.
It's a bit of a trade off. You're not going to get a "built-in" look regardless of what you pick, but you can come close with thin film solar panels. The down side is you'll need a larger surface area for an equivalent wattage as compared to rigid panels. Dan Grec has the cleanest setup I've seen. Mine has a pair of 100w Renogy Eclipse panels that stand off a bit, but match the black top pretty well from the side.

w7ldcard

I seem to be having issues with my J30. On bumpy roads it is making an increasingly loud squeaking noise towards the front passenger side. Any ideas. I to be forced to pull the whole thing off to find the culprit.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I seem to be having issues with my J30. On bumpy roads it is making an increasingly loud squeaking noise towards the front passenger side. Any ideas. I to be forced to pull the whole thing off to find the culprit.

Have you checked the bolts used to attached the J30 to the tub? After a season of use, all six of my rear bolts were between somewhat loose to very loose. Tightened all those down. The front two bolts are not supposed to be very tight, perhaps play around with looser/tighter on those? I definitely hear a bit of squeak at times from the same corner.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have an older one so front bolt attachment may have changed. I had a squeek going over large bumps as top shifted. I stuffed foam (like the kind used for sealing around a window ac) between the rollbar and the top and squeak went away.

rubicon91

Explorer
Did anybody see any discounts at all during the purchase phase?

No none at all and like pdxfrogdog said dont hold your breathe. Small Business. What you see online is what the price is unless you want some sort of option not there. Also I would get the shipping cost if you do ship before ordering so you are aware of what that costs. My shipping was $625 from San Diego to SW FL. So figure between the crating and shipping $1200 approx more than what the top costs.

goin camping

Explorer
Have you checked the bolts used to attached the J30 to the tub? After a season of use, all six of my rear bolts were between somewhat loose to very loose. Tightened all those down. The front two bolts are not supposed to be very tight, perhaps play around with looser/tighter on those? I definitely hear a bit of squeak at times from the same corner.

How did you check your bolts? Mine seem to be captured behind the top liner material.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
How did you check your bolts? Mine seem to be captured behind the top liner material.

At the rear, the excess carpet/liner is just tucked under the tub lip that the J30 top sits on. Feel around with your fingers... you should be able to gently tug and lift the carpet to expose the 6 bolts (3 per side). On mine there are several inches of liner material that aren't glued, just shoved underneath that lip.

hardwickj

I'd also emphasize - check the bolts! I had a terrible squeaking from my front passenger side that I couldn't locate. John kept suggesting it was probably the top rubbing somewhere on the frame, but I just couldn't locate it. I finally removed the forward most passenger side bolt and put a nylon fabric like washer on it and the squeak was completely removed. Planning on doing it to the rest of them before they also start squeaking, as I can here a sort of scratching sound coming from the drivers side bolt that I'm presuming will start squeaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles