Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

goin camping

Explorer
Cabin fever won the battle Weds morn and I ran out into the Mojave for a quick overnighter.

California cold... 40 degrees with wind and on and off rain. Spent a glorious night in the J30. Warm, dry and undisturbed by the wind. Today is dry and sunny but tomorrow will be warmer so I'll open it back up and let any remaining moisture on the outside of the tent dry.

The less than 5 minute set up and tear down really makes impulsive short notice trips a breeze.

Corky5

View attachment 438082
View attachment 438083

Got a large crate delivered a couple of days ago. Hopefully if the snow lets up, I'll be able to install it soon.
I have been thinking about one of these for a few weeks. I was a little worried about having it shipped all the way to NJ. Also, most of the post I've read about j30 are on rubicons. I have a Sahara unlimited. Not being very mechanical, I was wondering how this would do on a Sahara.

Presto88

Adventurer
It would be fine on a Sahara. I think it only weighs 100 lbs or so more than a stock hard top.

As for shipping, it probably won't cost you too much more than what I paid to have it boxed up and shipped to me in Salt Lake City. It's not cheap, but I'd bet the biggest expense is building the box and getting on the truck.

rubicon91

Explorer
It would be fine on a Sahara. I think it only weighs 100 lbs or so more than a stock hard top.

As for shipping, it probably won't cost you too much more than what I paid to have it boxed up and shipped to me in Salt Lake City. It's not cheap, but I'd bet the biggest expense is building the box and getting on the truck.

It weighs around 260lbs
I have been thinking about one of these for a few weeks. I was a little worried about having it shipped all the way to NJ. Also, most of the post I've read about j30 are on rubicons. I have a Sahara unlimited. Not being very mechanical, I was wondering how this would do on a Sahara.

They weigh around 260lbs. As far as shipping they are well crated and plenty of people have had them shipped to the east coast. I had mine shipped in Feb to the bottom of FL. Not one issue at all. It is a little pricey between the crating and shipping but I would imagine if you were in CA getting it installed you would have to pay sales tax on it which would be the same thing and you also have the install fee so really there is not a difference in cost to me. I absolutely love mine been out 4 out of the last 5 weekends in it. The only issue I had was I needed to add a 1 inch spacer to the rear to offset the weight I did have a little sag but once I did that it has been perfect.

goin camping

Explorer

My jeep is a Sahara. I also live in the Mojave desert and it all works great for me. I do not rock crawl though. I just wander around the desert looking for neat stuff. Does fine on trails and no road situations.

The only thing that is different about the jeep is that the summer heat or winter cold does not come through the top. Nor does noise.

larock1971

Anyone add Yakima Tracks to their J30 themselves? Thinking about mounting up a set, looking for any tips or advice. Looking at the top and some pictures it looks fairly simple, drill it and bolt them up right? My top is fully coated in LineX.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Anyone add Yakima Tracks to their J30 themselves? Thinking about mounting up a set, looking for any tips or advice. Looking at the top and some pictures it looks fairly simple, drill it and bolt them up right? My top is fully coated in LineX.

I think you would want to drop the headliner first... otherwise you'll be drilling and bolting through it, which would look ugly.
Not only that, your bolts would crush the headliner to the roof, which I think would be bad for it and make your whole mountain weaker.

If it were me, I would drop the headliner and use extremely large washers (maybe even some plates) on the side of the top under the headliner to spread out the load as much as possible on the fiberglass.

-Dan

larock1971

I think you would want to drop the headliner first... otherwise you'll be drilling and bolting through it, which would look ugly.
Not only that, your bolts would crush the headliner to the roof, which I think would be bad for it and make your whole mountain weaker.

If it were me, I would drop the headliner and use extremely large washers (maybe even some plates) on the side of the top under the headliner to spread out the load as much as possible on the fiberglass.

-Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan,

My plan is to mount closer to the outer rail of the top, outside the tent canvas/headliner, more in line with the lifting mech but mid top.

I enjoyed following your build (and you journey), one day I may even tackle hard mounting a couple solar panels similar to your set up.

Dotar

Chris at Ursa Minor installed my Yakima tracks during assembly. They’re attached through the upper hinge mounts. He said it could still be done after completion, but holes would need to be cut through the fiberglass portion of the front headliner. The holes would then need patching and I’m talking about 2” diameter holes. Made me think of 50 years ago when I was patching the many dings I inflicted on my surfboard. Glad I thought about the tracks before completion!
Good luck!

Attachments

• E4215638-7036-44E9-9E43-8B01EC119239.jpeg
    E4215638-7036-44E9-9E43-8B01EC119239.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the reply Dan,

My plan is to mount closer to the outer rail of the top, outside the tent canvas/headliner, more in line with the lifting mech but mid top.

I enjoyed following your build (and you journey), one day I may even tackle hard mounting a couple solar panels similar to your set up.

Ah, that makes sense, you can get to the underside from "outside" the canvas. I would for sure use some big plates to act as washers.

Thanks for the kind words, though I can't take all the credit. Ursa actually mounted my panels, so the bolts were moulded into the fiberglass.

-Dan

ExploringJeeps

Does anyone have a J30 and an AEV tire carrier with gas caddy? I'm curious if when you are sleeping in the J30 if you can smell gas all night? I have tried regular gas cans and with pressure changes etc, they always seem to leak some gas and have a definite smell. Does that just come with the territory when you are carrying extra gas?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Does anyone have a J30 and an AEV tire carrier with gas caddy? I'm curious if when you are sleeping in the J30 if you can smell gas all night? I have tried regular gas cans and with pressure changes etc, they always seem to leak some gas and have a definite smell. Does that just come with the territory when you are carrying extra gas?

I slept in my J30 last night and it probably has a gallon or so of leftover fuel in the AEV gas caddy. It did not even occur to me regarding the smell. I think you will be fine unless you spill some on the outside.

JDaPP

Adventurer
I have camped numerous times with gas in both an aev and a titan tank and I have never noticed it. More importantly wife has never complained about it and she can smell the exhaust fumes from a 737 30000' up ;-)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne