New Pelican coolers

blue dog

Adventurer
That there is a Queensland blue heeler. He is a bit on the large side for his breed due to his dad being 30% dingo. He is a 55 lber and should not be over 45 lb's. Smart as all get up, and loyal to the point that he would kill or die for me, but he is a well socialized animal that knows his place. He loves to play with any dog or child, but if a dog fights with him, Lookout, some killer tasmanian devil comes out in him and there is no stopping him. He goes to work with me everyday, and easily has 75,000 miles in the truck. He has been from the tip of Cabo San lucas, pre ran the baja 1000, and had his toes in the Arctic ocean. Only heeler people get it, but they are the best dogs.

The cooler. Part of the reason i got the Pelican cooler is that i have 5 pelican case in various sizes, all have been abused beyond belief, and held up just fine. That says a lot to me. Now, i just happened upon the pelican cooler when it was on sale and i still paid $230 out the door, if it was not on sale, the price was around $365.00. If i had to pay full pop for the cooler at the time, i may not have purchased it. I have had it for a month now, and i can not say anything bad about it. I think the pelican has better latches then the yeti, other then that, they are not that different. As noted before, the pelican cooler has the same warranty as the cases, made right down the road in Torrance ca, and a company that stands behind its products. I would suggest these to anyone that has a need for a quality cooler in rough and extreme environments.

Shameless dog and pelican toughness plug. dogs with pirate patch's rule.

Attachments

• IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1106.jpg
    IMG_1106.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 108

SteveG

Adventurer
Cool dog.

I see BFG projects a tube bender and a custom rear axle... now I need more info on the truck. What ya got there?

blue dog

Adventurer
Cool dog.

I see BFG projects a tube bender and a custom rear axle... now I need more info on the truck. What ya got there?

old class 8 chebby. can not hang with todays class 8 trucks. Score has changed the rules and ruined the class. Desert racing is not what it used to be. You need to be lucky sperm or a cfo of a fortune 500 company to go and compete with the other vehicles now days. The days of a few buddies building a truck in there garage and racing for fun are long gone. so sad. Anyway, the class 8 had a yard sale at the San Felipe 250 a few years ago, and she has never been the same since, the entire truck is wracked, and nothing short of cutting her completely apart and rebuilding her from the ground up will do her any good. She was fun, big block, th400 trans, King shocks, had a dana 60 rear trussed and a 14 bolt trussed. Front 17" travel, rear had 22" s. Was a heavy truck and never really had good steering. Basically it is a giant paper weight at this time.

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 98

qwerty

Observer
Until I came across this thread last week, I didn't know Pelican made coolers. Yesterday I went to my local Costco and found them there at these prices: $250 for the 65Qt and $300 for the 95Qt.

XJCamper

SE Expedition Society
Pelican cases are very nice and well made. They are virtually indestructible just like their cases. The one thing about the coolers that I can't get past is they do not make one with casters. Even their smallest cooler is very heavy and almost impossible to move one full of fluid. I cannot justify the money spent on a cooler that I have to have help moving. I have several of their larger cases With casters and love them. Even in the woods I can drag them around. You can get some great deals on one of their coolers if you watch your local gun shops and pawn stores.

qwerty

Observer

It looks like there are a bunch of typos in that comparison. Looking at specs for the 65 Qt model, there is no way the Pelican can hold 15.55 more Liquid quarts and 3.89 more Gallons than the Yeti model with the interior measurements listed in the comparison. The Pelican interior measurements are listed as 25.66" x 11.16" x 12.50" which equals 3,579.57 cubic inches, while the Yeti's interior measurements are listed as 24.38" x 12.00" x 12.00 which equals 3,510.72 cubic inches. That's a difference of only 68.85 cubic inches. I also doubt that the Pelican 65 Qt cooler is the only Pelican cooler made in the Philippines and the U.S., and that the Yeti 65 Qt cooler is the only made in the Philippines and not also the U.S.

I ment to ad a disclaimer that some of the info seemed odd.
It looks like there are a bunch of typos in that comparison. Looking at specs for the 65 Qt model, there is no way the Pelican can hold 15.55 more Liquid quarts and 3.89 more Gallons than the Yeti model with the interior measurements listed in the comparison. The Pelican interior measurements are listed as 25.66" x 11.16" x 12.50" which equals 3,579.57 cubic inches, while the Yeti's interior measurements are listed as 24.38" x 12.00" x 12.00 which equals 3,510.72 cubic inches. That's a difference of only 68.85 cubic inches. I also doubt that the Pelican 65 Qt cooler is the only Pelican cooler made in the Philippines and the U.S., and that the Yeti 65 Qt cooler is the only made in the Philippines and not also the U.S.

qwerty

Observer
I just realized that the Pelican coolers don't come with a dry rack basket, but the Yeti coolers do come with a dry rack basket. You can purchase a dry rack basket separately, but it costs a whopping $65!!!:Wow1: At $65 they're not even stainless steel, but powder coated steel. Meanwhile, Yeti sells replacement dry rack baskets for only $9.99.

The Pelican 65qt and 95qt can each hold two baskets side by side, which would run you an extra $120. Yikes!

http://www.pelicanprogear.com/produ...oler-Dry-Rack-Basket-Small/cooler accessories
http://www.pelicanprogear.com/product/Pelican-ProGear-65QT-Elite-Cooler/coolers
http://store.yeticoolers.com/products/Tundra-Baskets.html

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Lat time in CO at the hunting shop they had the three majors in the new HD designs

pelican
yeti and Engel

My choice out of the three would have been the Engel - due to the size -not so many un needed protusions

same sealing and thickness of foam just in a smaller exterior size

teotwaki

Excelsior!
So do we start a pool on how long it will be before Pelican engineers go ahead and design in a Danfoss or Sawafugi compressor? :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94