New Pelican coolers

SteveG

Adventurer
Sooo tempted!

I like the capacity of the 65 but that thing is 37" long! That's going to be tough to pack. Those of you that have one of these high0-end coolers, what size did you get and are you happy with it?

Thanks!

Honu

lost on the mainland
that is my problem is the size of the pelican ? looked at in person they are thick ! nice though but also ridges that are kinda big and deep :)

we have a fridge and our other food is in a tight container ? we used to bring a cooler along with some ice for the other stuff and kinda miss it
that way the bread does not get soggy edges from sweating and the smores makings while chocolate stays in fridge our mallows kinda stuck together having frozen juice boxes is nice for the kids ?

also kinda debating seems we cant get out on long trips as much as we used to so doing shorter 2-3 days maybe some frozen water and regular cooler with everything will be better than the fridge since all food can fit in it but might be looking at a larger one ? not sure yet

blue dog

Adventurer
so far so good, my 65 qt pelican cooler has worked as advertised. The key to keeping ice is to pre chill everything, and keep the cooler in a cool place before filling it. Normally i freeze 3 1 gallon jugs and place those in the cooler, put in my goods to be kept cold and top off with 2 7 lb bags of ice. Cooler has held ice in 90 degree weather for 6 days. I agree the 65 qt cooler is large, but i am ok with it. The cooler is just as tough as any of my pelican cases. I feel my purchase was well worth it at this point. I would actually like to get the 35 qt as well.

762X39

Explorer
Glad to see Pelican joining the club (Yeti, and Engel ice boxes). No harm in a little competition.:coffee:

JKRIO

I have the 35 and like it. Keeps ice for at least 5 day trips I have tested it on. But dang they are huge, takes up too much space in the back of the JK. I got it online for a little bit less than the Costco price.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Sooo tempted!

I like the capacity of the 65 but that thing is 37" long! That's going to be tough to pack. Those of you that have one of these high0-end coolers, what size did you get and are you happy with it?

Thanks!

Tempted to save your money or what? Have you read the cooler tests on here?

SteveG

Adventurer
So tempted... to buy one. I'm not sure what "cooler tests on here" you're referring to, so I can't tell you if I've read them or not. But, I'm not questioning their function, so maybe I don't need to? Why do you ask?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So tempted... to buy one. I'm not sure what "cooler tests on here" you're referring to, so I can't tell you if I've read them or not. But, I'm not questioning their function, so maybe I don't need to? Why do you ask?

Do a bit of research and you will find that the higher priced coolers are not much better than the Coleman Extreme Marine coolers. See them here https://www.google.com/search?q=col...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a and test here https://www.google.com/search?q=col...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

raven1911

Observer
Also I wonder if one of these things latched and locked would be bear proof?

My brother owns one and I would say yes enthusiastically. My friend and I stood on top of his cooler and I am 180# and he is 175# and it didn't budge. Solid as a rock!

xplrn42

Adventurer
Do a bit of research and you will find that the higher priced coolers are not much better than the Coleman Extreme Marine coolers. See them here https://www.google.com/search?q=col...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a and test here https://www.google.com/search?q=col...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

After a lot of thought and comparisons, I just bought a Coleman Extreme and heading out this weekend to give it it's first test. So far I'm happy spending $35 rather than $350.

Honu

lost on the mainland
when I worked on Charter boats we had big coleman and hinges would break quickly but we used some maybe 2 inch or so webbing as hinges :) and they lasted for ever that way but seal was not as important since we iced every day

I think to me a lot of the nicer is in build quality like handles not breaking and stuff :)

xplrn42

Adventurer
when I worked on Charter boats we had big coleman and hinges would break quickly but we used some maybe 2 inch or so webbing as hinges :) and they lasted for ever that way but seal was not as important since we iced every day

I think to me a lot of the nicer is in build quality like handles not breaking and stuff :)

I would agree.....for instance, you can't lock down the lid on the coleman, which for my use is actually a bonus. My wife and I do a lot of camping and my wife has nerve disorders and rheumatoid arthritus so simple and easy is the ticket for us, but well built too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online