Big Bear Ride Video

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
A few of us headed from Forest Falls, CA to Big Bear & back via dirt this past weekend. There was four of us on dual sport motos. Here's a quick review video from my helmet cam.

[video=vimeo;47104066]https://vimeo.com/47104066[/video]

There's a slide out crash in front of me at the 4:20 minute mark, i apologize for the brief explicit language in advance. :bike_rider:

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I think I'm still a month out from doing any hard riding, but the fire roads are certainly do-able if I was able to do 9 hour saddle days two weekends ago...and you know the seat I'm on haha

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Nice. Looked like perfect weather too.

What are your thoughts on the DRZ after owning/selling the bmw?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Nice. Looked like perfect weather too.

What are your thoughts on the DRZ after owning/selling the bmw?

Yeah the weather was great. Called for 20% chance of showers, but we never received any.

The BMW was a pig that i was always trying to keep up right and tip towing around. The DRZ feels like a mountain bike with a motor. Literally, 200 lbs difference. Although it's a smaller motor it's geared for trail riding and with my amateur riding status, it's plenty for me. All in all, the DRZ is so much fun and less worry. I can kick it around, slide it around corners where as the BMW if it slides or you lose it, you better hold on tight because your leg isn't stopping it.

Two very different beasts. One for 80% pavement, 20% dirt. One the complete opposite. For me, i was at a point where i was trailering or trucking the BMW everywhere and knew i wasn't riding around the world anytime soon. The DRZ was the perfect fit since we base camp anyhow.

Lets get out and ride sometime Mark!

SWbySWesty

I agree with the DRZ comparison. I was waiting for him to answer before chiming in. It seems that the big adventure bikes are for those that use to ride the 100-300 miles to a destination, then run some backroads and ride it home. The smaller dirtbike is exactly that - a dirtbike. Truck it to the destination, go hard, truck it back. The only thing keeping me from trading in my DRZ for a big KTM is weight. I don't want to balance 500 lbs on single track.

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
Sounds about right. As an amateur rider, I take that back, a short amateur rider I wish my DRZ was a bit shorter and a 100lbs lighter. I really noticed it going up Lippencott mine in. Once I stopped, okay, laid it down, it was hard to get going again not being able to firmly plant my feet. I'm hoping that desire will go away with more time in the dirt.

So do both of you trailer your bikes to the trailhead?

Let's set up a local day trip! I've got the supermoto setup going on right now but with a little notice I can swap to the dirt wheels if I have to. I have been a little curious how well it'll handle the dirt in SM trim. :bike_rider:

SWbySWesty

The SM handles wonderful. I hitch haul the bike up, but I've been debating riding up. We can plan a Gorman day this fall when the heat goes away. That's an easy day trip. Or a weekend in BB.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the drz is a great dual sport. its not an adventure bike and its not a dirtbike. the size and geometry lend itself well to ride to your trailhead better than any real dirtbike will, but i wouldnt want to ride it more than 200 miles or so. using it as a basecamp bike is awesome, with the ability to get on the pavement with relative comfort to connect dirt trails is just great, i love dual sport.

dstn2bdoa

Adventurer
Is it me or is the video gone? Nothing is showing up on my iPad.

I live in BB, and just bought a DRZ, wanted to see this video :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne