Another Mercedes Vario Campervan

Gretar

Hi Nigel
Interesting to hear about your conversion. I have got a Vario year 1997 and plan to change from 17.5 wheels to 19.5 and possibly 305/70R19.5 tires. I have difficulties in finding suitable rims locally. Gabo Amsterdam and Accent are wheel manufacturers you mention. Could you give me more details please.

Nigel Evans

Observer
Ian, it was for 5 wheels. I'll post details of the handling when I get it back from the converters. I'm hoping my first opportunity to try it will be to Aventure Overland show in October.

Gretar, Google Gabo Amsterdam it's the first listing. http://www.aspectwheels.co.uk/ for Aspect (not Accent). I think you may need to modify the bodywork to accommodate 305/70R19.5 tyres. My experience is based on the 4x4 panel van so please DYOR. You can find some more information on this forum.

Nigel Evans

Observer
Thanks Ray.
Hoping it'll be ready for the Adventure Overland Show (Daventry, UK) in a couple of weeks.
Apart from some finishing touches all I need to sort out is the auxiliary diesel tank. This is proving to be a technical challenge. The new bespoke tank is to be fitted on the opposite side of the vehicle to the existing tank (no space anywhere else). The bottom of the new tank will be lower than the existing tank (to give required size).
Trouble is there's no space for a new filler so the new and existing tanks need to be connected with a gravity filler pipe. I'd like to avoid moving the supply pipework and gauge to the new tank because of the work involved and the convoluted pipe runs. What I need is either a non-return valve or shut off valve on the filler pipe. I can then pump between the new tank and the existing without the gravity filler pipe emptying the old tank.
Alternatively it will mean filling the old tank, pumping the diesel into the new tank, then pumping it back when required.
If anyone can follow this and can think of a solution in the next day or two your help would be much appreciated.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I'm not sure if your original tank is the same as mine but assuming you interconnect the tanks - How about lowering the existing tank so the bottom of both tanks are the same height and then extend the filler neck sufficiently to allow both tanks to be fully filled.
The two problems I potentially see with this are:
1) The fuel gage will read full until the overall level drops below the top of the original tank
2) I suspect the pipes and flange for the sender unit may not be sufficiently sealed to be fully immersed.

Nigel Evans

Observer
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think lowering the tank is a go. Too many connections, heater, genny etc.

Think is going to be a reversible transfer pump. Going to the show at Daventry next week, maybe someone will think of something.

Nigel Evans

Observer
Finally had my first drive on the new wheels. The effect on gearing is very noticeable - at 2000 rpm it's now doing about 55mph. Much better! I'm going to play around with the tyre pressure, at the moment it feels very bouncy. Side wind seemed more noticeable and the steering feels a bit squirmy, probably just needs getting used to. One effect I hadn't considered was braking force, it defiantly needs a bit more effort to stop now. Think I'll get this checked out on a rolling road so I can compare to the previous MOT.image.jpg

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Looking good, liking the black paint along the sills....you may see another white vario with this soon!

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
Vario

Hi Nigel.
Was good to meet you and your wife at the Overland Show. Love your van, it has ended up looking really good and i hope you enjoy it. I have just fitted our new wheels from http://www.aspectwheels.co.uk/aboutus.html, 265-70-17.5 Conti LCS. I havn't driven it yet but plan to this weekend. We bought a winch at the show and as you can see i have fitted it ( still cutting and reinforcing the front bumper ).
Keep us posted on you travels.
Andy

Winch and wheels.JPG

Nigel Evans

Observer
Hi Andy
Looking good - Let us know how it drives.
I think we're going to change our mind about the 'big trip'. After listening to a few travellers at the show South America is looking favourite.

docka

Adventurer
Hi. Just stumbled across the forum and this thread. I'm converting a MB Vario and am wondering about your wheel conversions.
I dont intend to do any off roading but is it feasible to get rid of one of the double rear wheels on each side in the interests of fuel economy and de-rate the vehicle for weight?
Is this what you guys have done or are the new wheels/tyres capable of carrying the 7.5t GVW?
I must say to all who have posted pics of their T2s, well done they look great, hope i can get mine somewhere near the ballpark!
Cheers

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi Docka. The guys above have bought a new wheel/tyre combo, which are rated to the full GVW. Not sure about just removing a wheel, the tyres certainly wouldn't be up to it, not sure about the wheel itself. I'd be careful about down rating, its amazing how the weight creeps up when you add water, waste, batteries, spare parts (wheels/tyres!), not to mention the new interior build. Down rating might mean a lot of compromises. I'd love to use the wheel/tyres the guys in here do, but I don't have the spare cash as the moment. One day!

andylod

Tea Drinker :-)
Hi Andy
Looking good - Let us know how it drives.
I think we're going to change our mind about the 'big trip'. After listening to a few travellers at the show South America is looking favourite.
Hi Nigel
Finished the bumper, got tracking checked and wheels balanced today. Drives really nice, very small rumble as you pull away (off road tyre pattern) but then sits good on the road, no different from before. Our van only weighs 4.5 ton fully laden so i run the tyres at 65psi front and 70psi rear. Did have them at 90 but the ride was unbearable :smiley_drive:

Andy
photo.JPG

Nigel Evans

Observer
Neat job on the winch.

I think I'll try reducing the pressure on my tyres. I'm getting a disconcerting lurch on occasion, Joyce suggested it was because I was driving too fast, but that can't be right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior