Another Mercedes Vario Campervan

docka

Adventurer
Thanks Anton2k3
Yes, i suppose it's a bit pointless downplating it really. Actually, mine seems to drive better with a bit of weight in it, less harsh on the suspension.
Apologies for jumping in on the thread by the way.
I think i'll just get my original wheels shotblasted and powder coated, should come up ok, maybe fit some valve extensions too.
Bought and fitted some new heated wing mirrors with top brackets and they're a lot less rattly/noisy when cruising into a headwind.
There's another set on ebay at the moment if anyone's interested, though not from the same source as mine...
Btw, is the MB forum any good for Vario/814d info?
Cheers

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Docka,
The biggest reason for me changing to the 19.5in single wheel was the cost of replacing the original equipment Michelin tyres. I got all 5 wheels and tyres for nearly the same cost of 6 new original tyres (plus I'd have had to source a spare!). Ooh yes- They also look Cool :)

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
£2400 for 5 ex VAT from Aspect Wheels. I understand the diameter increase will help cruising engine speed and economy as well - but I've not tested yet.

Nigel Evans

Observer
Still playing around with the tyre pressure. I've finished the auxiliary tank (around 180kg) and have just started the bike rack. I'm going to stick it on a weigh bridge when I've finished adding weight and contact Toyo for advice. I'll post their reply.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Great design there Nigel. Do you have any pictures of the fabrication? Any idea of the weight? How have you connected it to the chassis?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NigelEvans

I'll post some pictures when it's back from the galvaniser if I have time. On the boat with the truck to Montevideo 3rd march so things are a bit rushed.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Nigel
I just saw your news on the Silkroute list. They tell me envy is a sin. Well I'm sinning big time!
Make sure you tell us how you're getting on so those of us who can't, can live vicariously through your adventures.

I

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Indeed, it sounds like you will be in for a long boat ride, take a hard drive with lots of tv series and films on it! I can recommend Madmen and Boardwalk Empire! Are you going to be setting up a blog to document your travels?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hey Nigel,

How did you attach the bike rack to the chassis?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94