Another Mercedes Vario Campervan

canals1164

Observer
Nigel

It looks good I dont think the bike will fall off, couldnt figure why it slid to right? Then it dawned, to open the door Dooh anyway hope you have a great trip.

Regards
Ian

NigelEvans

I guess the rack is around 60kg, most of this is because it needs to slide to the side. It's a bit over engineered especially when compared to the commercial racks I've seen. Mind I'm not sure how well they'd standup to rough road conditions. The bike's only 100kg so I'm fairly sure it won't be an issue. I think you can see the construction from this photo:image.jpgimage.jpg
The frame is then just bolted with a couple of angles to the main chassis members.

I've already written up the blog for the ship. "Got up, read a book, watched a film, looked at the sea, got pi**ed, went to bed" x25

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
What ports will you be visiting and will you get long in them?

I think Dakar is one of them. I visited it via motorcycle a few years ago. It's a big dirty city. The abandoned railway station is worth seeing as is the market beside it. You can stock on medical supplies:
100_2162 (1024x768).jpg

Isle de Goree is also worth a visit.

NigelEvans

I'm going Le Havre, Dakar, Santos, Montevideo. I understand it's just a few hours in each port so not much time for sightseeing.

Ian, any chance you could email the link for the workshop manual? I've got the wis but would you believe the epc I bought off eBay fell in half!

Arfur's World

Observer
Nice carrier for the bike. I'll be carrying my TransAlp on an easylifter on the back of Arfur so had Watling Engineers build me a heavy duty towbar setup, but I won't be doing any off-roading.

Anton2k3

Adventurer
One more question....what is the bike? And if you don't mind, how much did you pay for it? 100kg is a good light bike, ideal for a camper.

Thanks,

NigelEvans

Rejieu Tango 250. It's Spanish with a Chinese engine. Apparently the same Chinese factory that makes the BMW single. It’s very light, so light it's like riding a fully loaded mountain bike, which, when you're doing 65mph seems very strange.

Having said all this it really is a bit cr*p especially as they cost around £3k. If I had the time and could work out the logistics I'd have loved one of the Yamaha DT175s they sell as farm bikes in South Africa (about £2.5K brand new).

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I'm going Le Havre, Dakar, Santos, Montevideo. I understand it's just a few hours in each port so not much time for sightseeing.

Ian, any chance you could email the link for the workshop manual? I've got the wis but would you believe the epc I bought off eBay fell in half!

Nigel - was it the DVD that fell in half? Do you still have the activation code (it's computer specific)? I could see if I could upload the DVD images from my copy

NigelEvans

The ship's been delayed till Wednesday which has given me time to get to the weighbridge. 4180 kg on the back axle 2640 kg for the front. According to the Toyo data book recommended inflation is 115psi for the rear. They don't provide data for the lighter load at the front but I'm guessing 70 psi. Would you run at these pressures or adjust according to "feel"?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Are you not gone yet!

At 2640kg are you not already over the max on the front axle or do you have the "3000kg" springs?

Not that I'd be worried about it - just curious.

Best of luck. I can't help thinking your missus has pulled a fast one by flying out to meet you :)

Let us know how you're doing.

I

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94