Transmission Clunk....how screw'd am I?

mikelite80

Adventurer
Well title pretty much sums it up. Have a pretty regular clunk and delay in engaging between 3rd and over-drive. Just happened yesterday, so I drove carefully home and disengaged OD once I figured out that is where it was. So how bad is this? In darn close to 20 years of driving I've never actually had a transmission problem beyond replacing a clutch. Since it's not a total failure should this be a repair thing, or just replace it with a used one? Of course I know we won't know anything for sure until it gets taken apart. Just trying to get my head around what's going on before I take it somewhere. I think I could do a straight swap but I wouldn't even attempt a repair

Thanks!

Mike

2001 4Runner

keezer37

Explorer
I'd go into the "Factory Service Manuals" Sticky and look to see if there is a "Problem/Symptoms Table for your particular transmission. Mine points to speed sensor or shift solenoid valve. I do not believe either of these requires a rebuild. It requires little more than dropping the pan and valve body.
I know for my transmission (A750F), I would occasionally get a somewhat harsh engagement between 2nd and 3rd initially on winter mornings. Found that regular drain and fills works for me.
For your situation, if it were me, after reading up/familiarizing myself as best I could, I'd then visit a few shops, and listen for the guy who doesn't automatically say "rebuild/replace".
Transmissions are least understood and this lack of knowledge is taken advantage of.

No fault codes?

mikelite80

Adventurer
Thanks Keezer. No codes yet. Defiantly trying to get my transmission knowledge up to speed before I start taking it anywhere. After the rough engagement it runs fine in that gear, hopefully that is a good sign.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke