Who here Mtn Bikes CO?

Funrover

Expedition Leader
tacollie said:
I do a lot. This is the best time on the front range and the western slope to ride. The mountains can get a little muddy and even snowy this time of year.

to true!! I was thinking about heading up to Winter Park one last time before Winter Sports are there..... I am there every weekend once that starts...LOL

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
cool, I ride 2-3 times a week usually... Good chance we are going for a trip to Fruita or possibly Zion in the next month or so...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
dieselcruiserhead said:
cool, I ride 2-3 times a week usually... Good chance we are going for a trip to Fruita or possibly Zion in the next month or so...
There's not much riding inside Zion (I think there's a paved bike trail). Most N.P.s are not singletrack MTB friendly. Rather than Zion, you should do the trails around Gooseberry Mesa, JEM trail and Broken Mesa. Fruita, well yeah, we end up there 2 or 3 times a year. If you are up for it, the Edge Loop is an epic, but all the trails off 18 Road are cool, Zippity to Joe's Ridge to Chutes & Ladders is a fun one. Out in the Rabbit Valley area, the Western Rim is a great ride or the loops at the Kokopelli.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Thats exactly where we will be, the Gooseberry area and I forget the other trail that sort of parrallels Gooseberry.. That is the goal.. The guys I'm going with all know the area and trails well, I've never been down there other than to Zion and Springdale.. Cool :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
By the way....I posted this on the land use forum:

Some of you guys are mountain bikers. You probably already heard, there is much talk of closing the Continental Divide Trail to mountain bikes. That would suck. That is one of the crown jewels of extended mountain bike touring rides.

You can get more information at the IMBA web site.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Flounder said:
Some of you guys are mountain bikers. You probably already heard, there is much talk of closing the Continental Divide Trail to mountain bikes. That would suck.
It would suck, but it's also been overblown on the Internet. Talking to some people last time I was down in Salida w.r.t the Monarch Crest sections of the CDT and responses back from the Gunnison NF (the comment period was extended to 10/12/07, so get those letters in!) and Gunnison and Chaffee Counties it's very much undetermined. Chaffee County in particular is really against any changes and the local USFS offices aren't pushing this. It sounds like a higher level is seeing the wording in the CDNST legislation and asking why bikes are allowed on. This seems like an inconsistency in management between National Scenic Trails and someone in Washington is trying to push something onto the local management. No one locally really wants to see bikes banned from the Monarch Crest because it is a HUGE economic stimulus for Salida, Poncha Spring, Buena Vista and Gunnison and trail issues are not a real problem. People are pretty mellow out there and it's really the motos that are doing damage (a large part of the Monarch Crest is open to motorized travel). One option that sounds reasonable is to separate bicycles from motorcycles in the travel corridor to keep the classic ride from Monarch Pass, Rainbow Trail and USFS trails and roads still viable.

However, every mountain biker should be an IMBA member! That is so very true.

The IMBA page (there's an automated comment option, just to help you get it done):
http://imba.com/news/action_alerts/08_07/08_09_divide_ban.html

Last edited:

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Flounder said:
By the way....I posted this on the land use forum:

Some of you guys are mountain bikers. You probably already heard, there is much talk of closing the Continental Divide Trail to mountain bikes. That would suck. That is one of the crown jewels of extended mountain bike touring rides.

You can get more information at the IMBA web site.

CRAP!!!!! I have only done part of that!!!!! I hope they don't shut it down off to the IMBA site!

7wt

Expedition Leader
Since you guys ride and I haven't in about ten years (read I don't)...I'll ask you all. I am wanting to dust off the old Klein and start riding again but need new shoes and pedals. What are a good set of each to get back into the swing of things without dropping a large cash load on? The pedals that are on it are Onza's....yes you read that right, I have a relic.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
7wt said:
Since you guys ride and I haven't in about ten years (read I don't)...I'll ask you all. I am wanting to dust off the old Klein and start riding again but need new shoes and pedals. What are a good set of each to get back into the swing of things without dropping a large cash load on? The pedals that are on it are Onza's....yes you read that right, I have a relic.

I just bought some new pedals and ended up going with a more of a no-name. I go a set of VP-133 from Mountain Equipment Co-op. I beileve they were right around $50.

Full platform steel mountain pedal with SPD. Makes it easy to ride while not clicked in. Low cost and low frills.

I also have a pair of Time ATAC's (right in there with your Onza's) still kicking around...

Pete

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
7wt said:

If they work, just use 'em. If the elastomer has gotten hard get something new. I'm not convinced pedal technology in the MTB world has really advanced that much.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I have basic pedal for MTB!! I quit cliping in years ago off road... To many issues!

For road cycling I use shimano and have no problems!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online