Does anyone bother with the R1200GS Adventure here?

Snarky

Hell Paso
They are terrible bikes to some. It's almost the wrong mix of modern and archaic technology. Boxer engines practically from the 20's combined with modern materials and electronics. They are not just heavy but also top heavy and enjoy falling over. ABS system is difficult to work with at best. They somewhat known for being unreliable, especially in the rear end. The engine is clanky and noisy, and you never quite know if it's eating itself or running perfectly. However, when you're riding down the interstate at 85 mph smoothly at 4-5k rpms fairly comfortably, and then later traversing a somewhat technical mountain road full moderately sized stones and deep ruts on the same bike and somehow dont fall over, you kind of fall in love.

I replaced my quick and reliable '09 Kawasaki KLE650 Versys (which had replaced a slow and less reliable specimen of '01 XT225 [just that particular bike had issues, XTs are great]) for something that'll probably leave me stranded at some point. So far I got about 7000 miles on it, mostly from commuting and crossing between El Paso and Houston. I did the 600 mile break in service at the dealer, then half of the 6000 mile service myself and half at the dealer, I'm hoping to complete the entire 12000 mile service myself by the time it comes around, as to avoid those 200$ wallet drains. Not that it's difficult, I'm just lazy. I'm sure any one with a GS probably spends some time at advrider's GSpot. I mostly just lurk around here lately because I've been working on my truck a bit recently.

Wondering if there are any other R1200 GS or GSA owners that hang out around here. Search didn't turn up too much that was recent.

ee54018f.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
I have a lot of miles on the 1200GSA and owned an 1150GSA for a while too.

I love that bike. Having riden most of the available adventure bikes and having owned a KTM950 S for many years, I think the 1200GSA tops the food chain for true adventure touring. I have done enough single track to know that a 1200GSA is a way better dirt bike than most believe.

154954_10150131811773275_2269472_n.jpg

463414_10150820180913275_1668288197_o.jpg

2011 Adventure Motorcycle of the Year

squeezer

Adventurer
I work with a bunch of BMW GS fanatics. Between us we have every GS (including the G/S) ever built except for the R1100. R80G/S, R100GS (2), R100GSPDC (3), R1150GSA (2) R1200GS, R1200GSA (2) F650GS, F800GS (2), HP2. I have spent time on most of them (except the HP2) and if I had to take just one bike it would be the ????? Dammit even as I type this I just cant decide!!!

If a guy is going to ride lots of miles 2 up the R1200 is brilliant, If a guy is going to ride solo the F800 is a TON of fun. If a guy could only have one bike for the rest of his life... Give me the R100GSPDC please. Its slower than anything else up there, handles worse than anything else up there, stops worse than anything else up there. But saying all that the ridding experience of an Airhead GS is something that defies description.

Attachments

• Alvord.jpg
    Alvord.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 104
  • r100stream.jpg
    r100stream.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 111
  • openrange.jpg
    openrange.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 99

Hondarider

Adventurer
I actually just decided to sell my GSA. It's the bike I've always wanted...it's fantastic for travel...it's more than capable off-road...it's even better than my R1150GS...it's an outstanding machine. However...a month or so ago I was on a 2500 mile trip with a buddy of mine and I had an epiphany of sorts...I realized that traveling to beautiful places, meeting new people, scenic vistas, restaurants, adventures...was somehow less fulfilling when I left my wife and kids at home. I suppose its corny, but after a lifetime of motorcycle travel and winters spent dreaming of even more distant locales to explore, I think I may have lost my taste for leaving my family for a week at a time...I want to share those adventures with them...I think I might want a family expedition vehicle of sorts...I need a GSA with seating for 4. I still love riding and will always have bikes, but I don't think I need the big GS for poking around fire roads or riding to work or one day outings with the boys...probably switch to a single cylinder dual sport that costs roughly as much as the panniers on GSA. I expect crippling buyer's remorse the day after I sell it though.

Attachments

• R1200GSA2.jpg
    R1200GSA2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 109

zolo

Explorer
Oh I have defiantly bothered with the GS... I love that bike for sure. You would be correct it combines some nice quality's for sure.
And for me It was dead reliable for many thousands of miles.
On and off road. It did like to play dead, but a lot of that for me was side stand placement.

Great bike, lot of fun.

I have recently switched to a 990ADV. It also makes me smile...The KTM is so different but great at most things as well. The Hwy is not an issue and the off road and twisty's are WAY fun. Biggest complaint about the KTM is fuel range. Its no were near the GS.

RiverCityDave

красный октябрь
I actually just decided to sell my GSA. It's the bike I've always wanted...it's fantastic for travel...it's more than capable off-road...it's even better than my R1150GS...it's an outstanding machine. However...a month or so ago I was on a 2500 mile trip with a buddy of mine and I had an epiphany of sorts...I realized that traveling to beautiful places, meeting new people, scenic vistas, restaurants, adventures...was somehow less fulfilling when I left my wife and kids at home. I suppose its corny, but after a lifetime of motorcycle travel and winters spent dreaming of even more distant locales to explore, I think I may have lost my taste for leaving my family for a week at a time...I want to share those adventures with them...I think I might want a family expedition vehicle of sorts...I need a GSA with seating for 4. I still love riding and will always have bikes, but I don't think I need the big GS for poking around fire roads or riding to work or one day outings with the boys...probably switch to a single cylinder dual sport that costs roughly as much as the panniers on GSA. I expect crippling buyer's remorse the day after I sell it though.

I've gone through this same feeling. I cant stand leaving the kids at home, the short term fix was that my daughter rode with me a lot, from age 8 up, but now the boys are old enough, and they all want to go. So were back to the landcruiser. Fuel mileage is an issue on that beast, so we may be looking for new wheels soon to continue our adventures.

Snarky

Hell Paso
Glad to see some GS/A owners. (and a couple of KTMs)

The fuel range is my probably favorite thing about my Adventure. I rode from El Paso to Ruidoso, NM and back yesterday on one tank. The only annoying thing is trying to keep it under 25 mph in Downtown Ruidoso. I went look at the remains of my family's ranch after the Little Bear Fire. Pretty crazy, the side of the mountain from the back of Ski Apache to Nogal Canyon looks like someone stuck a million burnt matches upright in the ground.

Anyways, I think from Lake Jackson to El Paso I stop probably 3 times in ~800 miles. Usually once in Columbus, once in Junction, once in Fort Stockton. Of course that's with an 80mph speed limit (so I'm probably pulling 85-90 depending on my trooper bravery) plus, I usually don't leave Lake Jackson with a full tank, and once I get to El Paso I still have a day or so worth of fuel to putt around on.

The XT225 had an extended range tank and probably got better mileage than the GSA but it was slow. I always assumed it was because it was just because it was on 225 ccs but some folks claim higher speeds than I could even get my XT, I got usually 55mph top speed, perhaps 60-65 mph with the tail wind. I don't know, maybe it had fueling issues or something, it was kind of a hard starter some times.
bike.jpg

I was probably getting a similar range on the Versys, but with it's smaller tank I was probably refueling close to 5 or 6 times in the same span. Not to mention I was cruising at about 3000 rpms higher, the seat was somehow worse than the beemer's, and the wind was a beast at times.

175726_10150329387435292_554265291_8544737_1946869119_o.jpg

KHJPHOTO

Adventurer
How Large is the Family?

PERFECT:

IMG_2126.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
1200Gs has a level of class but I'm also of the boat that it is a heavy and fat pig that has great off road capability but is a great street and touring bike at its heart. I als don't like the drive-shaft effect, the cost and complexity it adds to repairs, and the limitations it places on true off road ability. I have time on 1100, 1150, an old R80G/S, and nearly a 1000 miles on a 1200GSA now. But I'll be buying a 950/990 if/when I am ready to buy a large bike again.

Last edited:

Hondarider

Adventurer
Couldn't bring myself to sell the GSA. Took it off the market and went riding. This bike makes me want ride further and further from my home. It is a big fat top-heavy pig, but once you're moving, it's fantastic.

...and I dig that GS sidecar rig.

dsy

Adventurer
12,000 miles on mine in 7 months. From Thunder Bay to Key West, on and off road and it never fails to put a big smile on my face every time I climb on wheather I'm heading to the store or heading out on a week long adventure. :bike_rider:

My jeep has been getting lonely. Have only put gas in it twice all summer.

Doug

img0480mw.jpg

ure1012.jpg

2012 GSA Adventure

Last edited:

BIGVAN

Lead Recon Team
One of the MANY things I love about mine is that I can load up the wife and all our gear and go. I like my DR-Z and my KTM alot but for me, my R1200GSA is the best! (My 4x4 Van is also getting lonely!)
:bike_rider:

Snarky

Hell Paso
Thought I'da chime in here again. I've gotten about 9000 miles on in 9 months. It's generally my daily driver. I did run into a little mishap out in the middle of nowhere (not mechanical, topographical, damn arroyos), with no cell signal, and I had to walk out of a national forest to a town (which also had no cellphone signal). But I recovered it, and repaired minor damage. No damage to myself other then pride.

I've collected a bit of kit, for survival, fishing and camping, I don't carry everything all the time, but I at least carry water, granola bars, and fire starting implements. Here is a photo of all my basic camping stuff.
0411AA14-4A45-4EFA-B89F-8231C4FE666C-5725-0000057C980EDC90.jpg

I think in this photo there is:
A dry bag with my sleeping bag stuffed in it. (32 degree)
A compression bag with my tent, stakes, poles, rain fly, and sleeping pad in it. (I also have a smaller hammock tent for when I'm in areas with trees [there are never any trees])
A LED Lantern.
A Small LED flashlight / personal defense stake.
A swedish knife/fire starter combo.
A small fixed blade knife.
A firestarter.
A small folding knife.
A small multitool.
A Leatherman Wave.
A rape whistle, compass, signal mirror combo, with matches stored inside.
A small first kit.
A space blanket and poncho.
Paracord.
MSR Whisper Stove and fuel bottle.
A Jetboil pot.
Freezedried food, 1L water, Granola bars.

In addition to that I have some fishing supplements for when I plan on fishing.
7EFE0A47-DA6C-476B-BFDE-915C07D1A6EC-5658-00000578D4BAA0F4.jpg

A tacklebox with:
Lures, small weights, hooks.
Floats, surf weights, rigging items.
Small filet knife with sharpener.
Stringer.
A few pain killers and new skin for cuts.
A collapsible rod that has been shortened even for for pannier storage.
A small spinner reel with 10# line.

On the back there is a Pelican tool case.
It is full of various things such as torx bits, torxs sockets, tire repair tools, CO2 inflater, extra engine oil, GS-911, filter wrench, bit drivers, zip ties ratchet, etc, etc...

Then there is basic riding gear:
Bike has changed a little since this picture.
5c398461.jpg

I have a REV'IT Defender Jacket and Pants.
An Arai XD-4 helmet with two shields. (one tinted, one not)
Moose Racing M1 MX Boots.
Swaney Gloves from REI.
(Gloves and boots are due for an upgrade)
3.7 liter military camelbak

123C7B28-0CCA-4AEB-B7BE-33DC3FFC117E-5658-00000578BBDC98C6.jpg

On the bike there are some pretty basic mods.
Trax Panniers w/ adapters for GSA racks.
Garmin Zumo 665 with weather and traffic.
55w 6000k HID bulbs in the stock aux lamps.
USB Charging port on the factory powerlet.
Stupid aluminum protector plates that probably don't do anything.
TKC80 Tires

Oh and I got one of these.
3E5056EB-F6D7-47E3-B6AE-DD3515FC4418-5725-000005803C60338F.jpg

If you get one, I recommend you program one of the messages with "I'm not dying, but I do need assistance". I haven't had to use it yet, but it seems to transmit okay. People have mixed results with them. But it's better than nothing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne