Desert Rigs: Ideas to help keep cool. Share

88Xj

Banned
Awsome idea's! The tarp deal, would also be similar to a roof rack..the rack would off shade ove the roof, thus the rack would ake the majority of the heat!

88Xj

Banned
Awsome idea's! The tarp deal, would also be similar to a roof rack..the rack would off shade ove the roof, thus the rack would ake the majority of the heat!

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hiya

My camper roof was kinda shiny bare aluminium. It got so hot in the sun i needed a camping mat to keep me from burning myself on it.

I then painted the roof white (with a white rubberised masonary paint cos thats all I could find where I was at the time), suddenly the roof is cool to the touch and the interior is much cooler! Three years later its still in perfect condition!

I had thought silver would be a good colour, but not nearly as good as white!

Also, I think for the silver reflective stuff to work you need an air gap. I imagine thats why the material mentioned has bubbles too, or the heat would just conduct through?

:)

bftank

Explorer
excellant thread!

we had a thread on this in ck5, and one of the ideas that came up was an australian style roof rack. the floor of the roof rack is about 1-2" about the suv's roof, and is made of aluminum painted white on top and black underneath. the idea is kinda like a heat shield for your roof. plus the gap allow the hot air to be pushed out the back as you are going down the road.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: My jeep lives in the NorNv desert and the temps have gone up to 115°F (usually 95°F) and I've insulated the inside overhead surface of my '08 JKUR-

There are several overhead insul companys so that won't matter, but

By using Auto Thermal-Acoustic insulation (shinyside up) my jeep can op in the desert and The A/C only has to be cycled now and then--I don't like full A/C-

PICT0028.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

I've gone with the low tech approach. 1) I have dark tinted windows on the rear window and the glass of both rear doors. Used to have the front windows tinted as well but the second fix-it ticket put an end to that. 2) I installed window valences or what ever they're called. These allow me to have the windows cracked to allow ventilation without rain coming in. 3) I put a salvage cover (heavy duty flame retardant tarp) on the truck rack that acts as a double roof over a portion of the cab's roof and creates a shade area in the bed.
The older land rovers had a double layer top with a air space.

88Xj

Banned
Great ideas fella's. I'm happy this thread is going in a positive direction! I've looked around at Lowes yesterday & found the ceramic heat reflective coating. I think I'm going to look more into one of those vents & thn coat the roof!
Ideas on that vent. Should I have it facing forward or backwards. Forward wouild force air into the cabin while driving....which could get annoying I'd imagine. But backwards it may not get enough air, or not make enough difference?

But so far it seems coat roof inside & out. Reinstall the sunshade type material. Tint windows & install a roof vent.

mudbutt

Explorer
I've been thinking about this for a while now. And it just so happens my headliner is out of the Jeep at the moment. So now would be the time.

Thank you for making a thread about this.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I vote alfresco.....

P10105961024x768.jpg

Oh wait.....I almost died last time I did that :)

I do think there is something to be said for a little bit of shade and open air flowing everywhere. One you acclimatize and are drinking enough fluids it's not too bad as long as you can keep the direct sun off your head. Some vehicles with lots of glass just tend to act like a huge greenhouse.....HHHHHHHOOOOOTTTTTT! Running the A/C adds some strain to the engine, especially when running in sand.

grimbo

Explorer
Safari roof, which is the second roof with a gap as mentioned earlier, tinted windows, insulated headliner and floor, heat wrapped exhaust, insulated firewall, sun visor for windscreen, and the final one I saw for a oil exploration rig in outback south Australia was a fine water misting system that they used to keep the work box cool, bit much for a DD I guess but food for thought.

88Xj

Banned
Ya I think I will be saving up enough for 2 to 3 coats of monstaliner...probably 2 gallons worth. I also need to by the Henrys roof coating. & some type or sound deadener/insulator. I will probably strip my floors of there current bedliner, then lay down the instaltor, also doing the fire wall. Then 2 to thick coats of monstaliner to build it up, then a thinner coat to ge the correct texture!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz