CDN M101 in Vegas

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Box looks good, a lot like my Dee Zee. I would be careful when and if you jackknife your trailer in tight quarters. My rear mounted tire hits the box if I turn too tight to the drivers side. I am extending the tongue so I am not too worried for now, will just be careful. Funny thing, I just mounted my Deep Cycle group 24 battery in the same battery box...1000 Watt inverter going in this week! And I am planning on a Solar Charging system... great minds think alike.

20120919_223351_zpse630084a.jpg

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
Box looks good, a lot like my Dee Zee. I would be careful when and if you jackknife your trailer in tight quarters. My rear mounted tire hits the box if I turn too tight to the drivers side.

I was concerned about clearance as well, but I have a couple of inches to spare when fully jackknifed.

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
So, three years later...

I decided to upgrade my RTT with a ruggedized Kukenam XL. Tent was delivered via FedEx today and I wasted no time installing. Very impressed with the tent and the extra room.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I really like the black cover and the new tent fits the top of the trailer like a lid. One issue is the clips used to secure the tent when folded seem cheap and I broke three right off the bat. I contacted Tepui about the issue and am waiting to hear back.

image.jpg

With the new tent weighing in at 200+ lbs, I decided it was time to install a pair of 100 lb gas springs to assist opening the top.

image.jpg

I also finally figured out the place to transport the solar panels is wrapped in the bedding in the folded RTT. Headed up to Fishlake National Forest at the end of June with my wife and a couple friends to celebrate my wife's birthday. Really looking forward to using the new tent.

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
This trailer has served me very well. I was a little concerned about paying $1000.00 when I first bought, but turned out to be money very well spent. I've invested a few thousand more into it and literally use this trailer almost every week. I've started camping more now that my work schedule allows, but I also use it to haul guns and and targets out to the desert, picking up firewood and general purpose transport of oversized items.

Couldn't imagine going through life as a Jeep guy without it.

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
Now that I've had some time I decided to setup the tent again and get some better pictures. I really like how the XL fit the top of the trailer and the balance is much better.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I keep a door mat under the ladder during storage and transport. Not a big issue with this tent because of the diamond plate, but it was definitely necessary to protect the bottom of the previous tent which had a softer aluminum bottom. Plus it's ready to put in place once the tent is set up and the ladder is in place.

image.jpg

image.jpg

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
It wasn't until today that I figured out what the short straps on the bottom of the tent were for. Instead of having the cover hang down, you can roll it up and strap it under to the tent to keep it clean and dry.

image.jpg

As I said before, the XL is quite a bit bigger than the standard Kukenam it replaced.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Advertised as a 4 man tent, you could easily accommodate 4 averaged sized adults in a pinch. Not the optimal orientation for sleeping, but my 6' 1" son fits comfortably.

image.jpg

Basic bedding remains packed in the trailer but we always bring additional blankets and pillows.

image.jpg

LED light hangs from the roof.

image.jpg

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
It seems like common sense now, but it took me a while to figure out where to pack my solar panels. They fit perfectly and are well protected wrapped in the bedding.

image.jpg

The rain fly is very rigid due to the additional supports and the is plenty of clearance between the fly and tent.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
The installation of the gas springs is a huge aid in opening and closing the top. Rated at 100 lbs each, they assist but will not support the open top. Still, much better than it was before with the 110 lb tent and no gas springs. Couldn't imagine not having them with the 200 lb tent.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I like the new tent. I have a CVT My Hood, it is the same size as yours, and takes up the entire lid on my CDN M101. Good size, and perfect fit.

My Mt Hood weighs in at about 150# as I recall and I am lifting the tent/lid/stuff with 2 x 80# gas lift springs. I imagine your tent/lid combo is a lot heavier than mine? I also mounted my struts closer to the open side and the lift point is right in the middle of the lid.

Took me a while to get the combo right, but it works flawlessly now.

Nice setup!

I like the new tent. I have a CVT My Hood, it is the same size as yours, and takes up the entire lid on my CDN M101. Good size, and perfect fit.

My Mt Hood weighs in at about 150# as I recall and I am lifting the tent/lid/stuff with 2 x 80# gas lift springs. I imagine your tent/lid combo is a lot heavier than mine? I also mounted my struts closer to the open side and the lift point is right in the middle of the lid.

Took me a while to get the combo right, but it works flawlessly now.

Nice setup
I was questioning whether 150 pounds aside was enough for my 310 pound lid

Last edited:

vegasjeepguy

Adventurer
The new Kukenam tent has rings along the bottom to hang gear. I had an old aluminum flag pole that I suspended with some wire ties and hung a closet organizer to store boots, flip flops, etc. with easy access from the tent.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior