Why I don't like BMW's.

kchristian

Adventurer
I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a good adv bike when we get back from our planned Central America/Mexico trip this winter. For some reason I just couldn't figure out why I had no desire to look at BMW's. It's strange because I'm a huge Bimmer fan when it comes to their cars. Then today as I was riding home on a Honda CBR 600RR, a BMW R1200gswhatever comes riding the oposite way on a two lane road. I do the natural thing and wave. He does nothing. Then it hit me. BMW riders never wave back. Harley guys wave. Goldwing guys wave. Other Dual sport guys wave. Do bimmer guys look at me like I look at scooter riders? I'd never wave to them. I'm better than them. (jk of course. But maybe not entirely.)

Anybody else notice this? What makes bimmer guys so different? If you are a bimmer guy, will you wave to a crotch rocket dude? I need to resolve this bc I am missing out on a big part of the adv bike segment if I continue with my distaste for BMW riders.

sandalscout

Adventurer
No clue, around here the BMW guys wave, but a large chunk of the Harley guys don't (I think that they THINK they are 1%s). I wave at the scooter guys though, I used to own a scooter and a moped, and there are plenty of both in downtown/east Nashville, and they are usually pretty cool guys.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Hardly [SIC] guys are the most non-waving in my experience (I ride a BMW). Sometimes I wave, sometimes I don't - but it doesn't depend on what the other guy is riding. Sometimes there are just too many bikes on the road to wave at them all, sometimes I'm just too busy trying not to get run over to wave at the guy that is on the far side of a 8 lane freeway with a 50' wide median, sometimes I'm just too damn tired to give a crap.

Clutch

<---Pass
Don't hate the player hate the game...

I don't care if people wave back or not, I don't like BMW's because they are BMW's...I don't know what it is, maybe because they charge a premium for inferior
parts they hang off of them or the gawd awful suspension, or the goofy layout, or the...:)ylsmoke:), I dunno....just don't care for them.

We all know KTM's are far superior machines.

:peepwall:

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Having owned a K100RS and a 530i my conclusion is BMW engineers do not know how to design automotive/motorcycle electronics. Both had significant reliability issues in that area. Only two examples, I know, but the reaction at the shop was my experiences were not unusual.

YMMV.

Cody1771

Explorer
no, must be the guys in your area, i know lots of BMW riders and never once have i had any hint of errgoance.

CodyY

Explorer
If there's two things I hate in this world it's; people who judge equipment based on stereotypes of their owners, and Harley riders

zolo

Explorer
Don't hate the player hate the game...

We all know KTM's are far superior machines.

:peepwall:

This man doesnt lie... Its true....

Besides the "band of moto riders WAVE" gets a little out of hand sometimes. If your in an area with tons of bikes why wave all the time?
If your someplace that is void of other bikes, then maybe I can see making sure to wave at the other guy/gal you might see.

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
I drive a pick-up truck.

I don't wave to mini-van, sports car, station wagon or semi drivers. I don't even wave at other pick-up drivers of the same brand.

Why should motorcycles be any different?

Clutch

<---Pass
Why should motorcycles be any different?

It is just one of those "In the Clan" things that people do. Moto people do it, boat people do it, air cooled VW people do it...

I get "the wave" from other air cooled VW drivers when I drive my VW Bus...(those same VW drivers don't
wave at me when I drive my Taco or Trooper, I am the same person...:elkgrin:)...now when a late model VW owner waves or gives me the thumbs up, I flip them
off....just because the look on their face cracks me up.

This man doesnt lie... Its true....

:ylsmoke:

NothingClever

Explorer
What is this clan thing you speak of?

I might wave at another KTM rider, I might not. I might wave at another Husqvarna rider, I might not. I might wave at another Ducati rider, I might not.

It's just (fun) transportation and I guess I'm just usually too busy trying to get somewhere that the gee-gaw thing has worn off.

Signed,
Curmudgeonly Callous Carl

Clutch

<---Pass
What is this clan thing you speak of?

I might wave at another KTM rider, I might not. I might wave at another Husqvarna rider, I might not. I might wave at another Ducati rider, I might not.

Doesn't matter the brand, the clan thing is: It is the tipping of the hat, the wink of an eye, the nod of the head, to another enthusiast, "The Wave" implies people are recognizing that you're one of "them". Like I said, VW, Boat, and Moto people do it...I even see bus drivers wave at each other.

I didn't invent it, it just the way it is...

I try to wave BTW, no matter what bike they are on.

Well, if you're comparing them to, say, something from Zengcheng Benma Industrial -- then yea, KTM is far superior.

:sombrero:

LOL...

Last edited:

jronwood

Adventurer
Personally, I like to keep my hands on the bars in case a deer jumps in front of me (I live in Pa.) or a tire blows. I TRY not to wave at anyone. Old school XT600 rider, trying to keep the front tire on the ground MOST of the time.

Jronwood

kchristian

Adventurer
Doesn't matter the brand, the clan thing is: It is the tipping of the hat, the wink of an eye, the nod of the head, to another enthusiast, "The Wave" implies people are recognizing that you're one of "them". Like I said, VW, Boat, and Moto people do it...I even see bus drivers wave at each other.

I didn't invent it, it just the way it is...

I try to wave BTW, no matter what bike they are on.

It is just the way it is. It makes you a part of something bigger than yourself. When I lived in Portland everyone in classic Volvo's would give the wave to me when I was cruising in my Amazon. I didn't even realize I was in a select group until that started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles