Garmin coverage in Africa

jham

Adventurer
Anyone used Garmin and the Tracks4Africa maps in Eastern Africa? Researching the coverage and reception quality, specifically in Uganda.

I'll want to have a handheld with me at all times, preferably loaded with their maps via an SD card. I assume they wouldn't sell them if Garmin units didn't work well there, but I can't seem to find a Garmin coverage map online.

Thoughts?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
there's no map of coverage as it simply covers the entire world - other than caves and deep canyons or valleys with trees

jham

Adventurer
yes I used too in Kenya/Uganda, you should be fine. Pretty much every overlander uses T4A

Thanks, Christian.

I just placed an order for the software to use in my Nuvi on the roads around Uganda. Hoping it's detailed of Kampala, that has to be the most confusing city I have ever driven in.

Going to spend the afternoon searching for a hand-held to take care of all of our village mapping needs. Considering the GPSMAP 62st at the moment.

Sirocco

Explorer
Used a Map72CSX last year in West Africa mapping for T4A. Any of the map handhelds will work.

I just picked up a 60CX to run Open Street Map for our trip across central Asia, Mongolia & Siberia next year.

A lot of the countries on the T4A maps now come with routing ability and the coverage of East Africa should be excellent as many people travel this way. I would have thought a combination of OSM and T4A maps on a handheld Garmin should suffice.

G

jham

Adventurer
purchased the gpsmap 62 and the East Africa map download from T4A. Now I can't figure out how to get the maps loaded onto the device. All of the tutorials are outdated as it seems Garmin has now made BaseCamp the sole software for working with maps and devices.

EDIT: Finally figured it out. Found a mapinstall download link on a thirdparty site (wasn't working on Garmin's site) and got it transferred.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne