Utility Bed Install with Popup Camper

BCHauler

Adventurer
Wow. That looks great. This is a setup I am strongly considering as an eventual replacement for my banged up and rusty bed. A shortbed utility is pretty rare however.

Scoutman

Explorer
That turned out really nice. I've wanted to do that to my dodge ever since I got my camper but camper duty is so low these days it'll be a while. Looking forward to more picts and trip reports. :sombrero:

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
So we had a chance to head out to Blair Valley in the Anza Borrego Desert on Sunday afternoon to try out the utility bed and camper. We expected it to be very hot but surprisingly it wasn't. We entered at Little Blair Valley. Road isn't very rough but it was good enough to check the functioning of the camper.

20120902_2116.jpg

We continued on to a camp site that we've used off and on for the last 30-odd years at the base of Ghost Mountain. This site has some bedrock morteros and faint pictographs on the opposite side of the big rock. It's one of our old favorites for an overnight desert fix.

Thanks to the recent rains this summer we were treated to a fabulous display of cinchweed over the entire valley when we got there. It's pungent odor was almost overpowering when you walked on it and the little yellow flowers really dressed up the desert. It soon had me sneezing. Here's the campsite with the cinchweed blanketing the valley.

DSC_0004.jpg

We set up camp and had a good opportunity to try out the compartments. Everything worked out great. I think we're ready to take it to northern Nevada and Utah later this month. I'll see if I can post a trip report when we get back.

CIMG0004-001.jpg

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Oh, almost forgot to thank everyone for the input and kind words. I will do a little finish work on the back to dress it up but it's done as far as I'm concerned, with the exception of some front suspension upgrades. And a Buckstop bumper and winch. And...

Here's one more shot of the Blair campsite.

View attachment 119518

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
That looks absolutely awesome. Such a clean fit on the back and sides. How deep are the flip top areas? How much wasted space is there at the moment. Seems the drawer system you mentioned will solve that "problem".

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Thanks, ExpoMike. Appreciate the comment. I see you're a San Diego guy. Were you at the Fiesta Island M&G? I don't think I got to meet you.

Mc Taco - there's about 2 1/2 inches of wasted space due to the flip top. I'm not planning on making any changes for the time being. Just go with the flow and see how everything works out. At least that dead space is filling up the area under the camper overhang.

ExpoMike

I think we quickly talked, I saw you come in and was saying you found the right group. I didn't realize you had your family group just north of ours. My wife and I were there with our tri colored dog, Ellie

*What she likes to normally be doing, exploring*
DSCF9222.jpg

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
2.5 inches is not that much space at all. Unless you find a need to carry a lot of tent poles or canoe paddles I can't see it would be worth the effort to alter the truck box Perfect set up.

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Update on Utility Bed

We just got back from a trip to Northern Nevada and back down via Hwy 395. Truck and utility bed with the popup camper worked great. No issues at all. Having the extra storage space to store all the junk we take anyways was a definite plus for both of us.

Our first night out we camped off Greenwater Valley Rd on the eastern side of Death Valley. Here's a shot of camp. I will try to get around to posting a trip report on the run to Northern Nevada soon. Went as far as Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge.

DSC_0025.jpg

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
Update on Utility Bed

We just got back from a trip to Northern Nevada and back down via Hwy 395. Truck and utility bed with the popup camper worked great. No issues at all. Having the extra storage space to store all the junk we take anyways was a definite plus for both of us.

Our first night out we camped off Greenwater Valley Rd on the eastern side of Death Valley. Here's a shot of camp. I will try to get around to posting a trip report on the run to Northern Nevada soon. Went as far as Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge.

I love the setup. I'm hoping to do the same with my 04 2500 crew cab short box and yet to purchase northstar 850sc

Good luck, hope to see much more!

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
WOW looks amazing, one of the better mods that I have seen. Clean and useful. If you need something to do I have a truck that could use that same treatment. :)

topofpalomar

Enthusiast
Thanks, Guys. Appreciate the feedback. I've been busy at the fire station since getting back from our trip and haven't had a chance to do a trip report or any updating. I hope to get something on here soon. If you haven't already done so, be sure to check out ToolBox Guy's project. He's doing some nice upgrades on his rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94