Motorcycle advice

x32792

Adventurer
New Dual Sport - Honda CRF250L

Twice your budget, but very impressive on paper. The new Honda 250 dual sport is rumored to get nearly 100mpg (?) and will carry two people. It has a radiator, efi and weighs about 300 pounds. Fuel tank is small, but nothing a rotopak couldn't fix.

I'm anxious to read a real world report on this little bike being used for expedition travel.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/crf250l/street.aspx

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
A year and 5 months later and I have still not outgrown my 250. Even put 35,000 to 40,000 miles on it in that year.
That's New England. The OP and myself live in the desert. Our county and rural roads have 65mph speed limits so your adverage soccer mom is cruising them at 73-74. Interstates are 75mph so folks run 84. You need to cruise at 81 in the slow lane just so you dont get pushed from behind. I do understand how you like your 250. My dirt bike is my main ride and it's only a KTM 200. Light fast and easy to ride but my duel sport is a KTM 950 just to keep up on the roads. I do see a few 650s and they do OK until those passing at 84 blow them around a little. 650 is as small as I'd go for the roads in AZ unless the op really just wants to putt the Tucson city streets. I'd rent a PU and hual my bike before I rode it thru that rat race. Funny how us dirt bikers will smile on the edge of a canyon cliff but crap their pants in a wallmart parking lot.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
A year and 5 months later and I have still not outgrown my 250. Even put 35,000 to 40,000 miles on it in that year.

It all depends on where you are going to ride it & how well you fit the bike (ergonomically). If any significant freeway miles are involved - a 250 is going to leave you fixated on your rear view mirror & wondering when exactly you are going to be run over. Even my 650GS had trouble keeping up with traffic between Tucson & Phoenix when I had a load on it.

If you're not going to be on the freeway, sticking to state highways (55mph) and back roads, a 250 will probably get you by.

ThomD

Explorer
That's New England. The OP and myself live in the desert. .

Check again. OP lives in GA.

FWIW, I agree that for open highway use I don't think a 250 is up to the task for any distance. OTOH, my 650 ninja cruises nicely at 80+ Around here the ninja 250 is the oft recommended starter because they are plentiful on the used market and resell for close to what you paid for them if you do outgrow it in 6-12 months.

I LOVE California, where I can run 80-85 on my way to work and be 'keeping up with traffic'. It is always weird to travel to other states where traffic seems to top out around 68.

nickrp

Dont get a 250 if your gonna commute on it, I did, its been a month and its for sale because my commute went from 15 minutes to over an hour on the freeway, and i cant imaging that on a 250.

ravenranger

All 250's are not the same. So, don't dismiss all 250's out of hand because it's apple to oranges.

Seems "modern" 250's are underpowered but pick up an older 250 and you can have a ton of fun and outrun some 650's.

I have an '89 Honda NX250 (one of their 'early' dual-sports that they only brought into the US for two years). The NX250 features the MD21E engine (Honda's 250 race engine slightly detuned) which is a water-cooled, 249 cc, single-cylinder, four-valve, DOHC, four-stroke with an electric start (in fact, this engine was far enough ahead of it's time that the brand new CRF250L engine is based on this one). It produces 25 hp, weighs about 260 pounds, has a 6 speed transmission and a 32 inch seat height. (Just for comparison, a KLR650 produces about 35 hp and weighs in at about 400 pounds and has a 36 inch seat height). The little NX gets 80 mpg and can run 80 mph with no problem (actually handles that speed better than some KLR's I've seen) and I find it comfy enough to ride all day.

002.jpg

So, before you dismiss a "small" bike, be sure you're actually comparing apples to apples.
:D

Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
All 250's are not the same. So, don't dismiss all 250's out of hand because it's apple to oranges.

It produces 25 hp, weighs about 260 pounds, has a 6 speed transmission and a 32 inch seat height. (Just for comparison, a KLR650 produces about 35 hp and weighs in at about 400 pounds and has a 36 inch seat height).

So, before you dismiss a "small" bike, be sure you're actually comparing apples to apples.

I completely agree, 250s are dismissed completely by many people without proper justification, but they are not all for everybody. I ride my KLR about twice as frequently as my XT250, I've put about twice the mileage on it in 6 months as I did in 14 on my XT. 250s can be great bike, but many of them are cramped for taller people, or can't get up to speeds needed for a safe commute.

That said, apples to apples comparisons are are needed when looking at bikes, the NX250 weighs 260 DRY, and the KLR is about 400 WET (337 dry).

sandalscout

Adventurer
Yeah, believe it or not. It's a big heavy beast, fortunately, the only place I've dropped mine is in the garage, and I was able to lay it down gently (I bumped into it while doing something else, spun around and grabbed the hand guard to lay it down). Picking it up was not the easiest, I wouldn't want to do it more than once or twice a day while riding, that's for sure.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Can't remember where I heard it, but someone said twisting the throttle on a Rebel 250 only changes the volume, not the speed. :)

I think most budget bikes, often first bikes, are choices of opportunity. You may have to just make it a hobby to cruise the for sale listings to find a bike that fits your needs and budget. That's how I ended up with my first bike in 1988. It was a fine, fine purchase at a garage sale. 1983 Honda Nighthawk 450 - $600.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I'm on the hunt for the summer, hoping to find something efficient, reliable, and decently cool. Anything you all suggest to look for?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
With gas prices now hitting 3.84$/gal for REGULAR here in Georgia, I have begun considering my options. I am 21, in college, and currently drive a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser with around 165,000 miles. Gets around 10-12 in town...14-15 on the road. (MPG of course) I have already decided that I'd like to sell the Cruiser, but that takes some time. Would probably trade it for a tacoma/4runner of the same year through a dealer, hoping to hold on to 4x4, if I'm going to have a truck/SUV...BUT If I find a good,reliable,efficient,fun car to drive...then so be it.

If you want to get a bike, get a bike but don't kid yourself into thinking you'll save money. Most likely you won't.

By the time you factor in the cost to purchase, training, insurance, and equipment, it's very unlikely that you'll save much, if any money. Also consider that motorcycle tires typically cost about $75-$150 each (depending on what type of bike and tire) and for installation you can figure another $50-$60 or so. Also MC tires wear out about 5 -8 times faster than car tires (I've been riding 30 years and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've gotten 10,000 miles on a tire. Actually, I can count on one finger. (6,000 -8000 miles is typically what I get from a rear tire, fronts can last about 9,000.) Most motorcycles need valve adjustments every 12,000 miles or so and that's a few hundred bucks unless you can do it yourself.

Finally, you will find that a motorcycle is not that convenient. If it's raining, if you have a passenger to carry, if you need to stop and get groceries, if it's unseasonably cold, then you may find yourself driving the SUV and leaving the bike at home.

If all you need is cheap transportation, a 10 year old compact car with 125,000 miles on it and a manual transmission will save you more money than a bike ever will.

Not trying to dissuade you from getting a motorcycle, just saying that the "it will save me money" argument rarely works.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
If you want to get a bike, get a bike but don't kid yourself into thinking you'll save money. Most likely you won't.

By the time you factor in the cost to purchase, training, insurance, and equipment, it's very unlikely that you'll save much, if any money. Also consider that motorcycle tires typically cost about $75-$150 each (depending on what type of bike and tire) and for installation you can figure another $50-$60 or so.
Who pays to have thier tires changed? LOLz. Also MC tires wear out about 5 -8 times faster than car tires (I've been riding 30 years and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've gotten 10,000 miles on a tire. Actually, I can count on one finger. (6,000 -8000 miles is typically what I get from a rear tire, fronts can last about 9,000.)
I replace tires every 2000 miles whether they need it or not. I allways run the stickiest compound so that I put fresh new tires on my bikes every spring. No dry rot or hard tires for me. the extra cost is worth it. Deosn't matter if it's a sportbike, ADV bike, or dual sport. Run the good tires. Most motorcycles need valve adjustments every 12,000 miles or so and that's a few hundred bucks unless you can do it yourself.
I check valve lash myself often. I have my Honda tech adjust them when the lash gets tight. But, never, ever take a bike in for a valve adjustment if it really deosn't need one unless we're talking 16,000 miles or something obvious. Easy money for them.

Finally, you will find that a motorcycle is not that convenient. If it's raining, if you have a passenger to carry, if you need to stop and get groceries, if it's unseasonably cold, then you may find yourself driving the SUV and leaving the bike at home.
He's in GA! Bikes have thier conveniences as well. They fit in elevators easy. And glide right through the front door of the apartment I had in Gainesville.

If all you need is cheap transportation, a 10 year old compact car with 125,000 miles on it and a manual transmission will save you more money than a bike ever will.

Not trying to dissuade you from getting a motorcycle, just saying that the "it will save me money" argument rarely works.

+1. I added a few things in red. I'd keep your truck or trade for an economy car, then buy a used bike. A bike isn't very practical on it's own unless you live in a city like Gainesville FL.

I'd recommend the Suzuki DRZ400s. You can find them used and they seem nicer in mild offroad than the CRF250L. Kawa KLR's are handy and super cheap as well.

A good DRZ400s is likely $3-4k. About $18 a month full coverage.

A Pirelli XCMH front and a Dunlop 606 rear is the hot setup for dual sport use up here. But I prefer Pirelli XCMH all the way around, allthough that rear is a little squishy for fast onroad turns compared to the 606, but it's way better offroad.

And I also plan on getting 2 sets, one for my DRZ and one for my CRF450r, of Pirelli Scorpian MXMS for better trails and offroad oriented trips. Ohio has no DOT tire requirements, just tread depth.

BlackdogGS

Observer
I ride a WR250R, it's way tall and expensive for what the OP needs. I would suggest he looks at the Yamaha XT250 or the new Honda dual sport 250. Both will get great milage but performance is dismal. My WR makes around 25 HP and that's barely adequate but I've learned to deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne