Motorcycle advice

Laxaholic

Adventurer
With gas prices now hitting 3.84$/gal for REGULAR here in Georgia, I have begun considering my options. I am 21, in college, and currently drive a 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser with around 165,000 miles. Gets around 10-12 in town...14-15 on the road. (MPG of course) I have already decided that I'd like to sell the Cruiser, but that takes some time. Would probably trade it for a tacoma/4runner of the same year through a dealer, hoping to hold on to 4x4, if I'm going to have a truck/SUV...BUT If I find a good,reliable,efficient,fun car to drive...then so be it.

So, yesterday I found my self at a HONDA dealer. Just checking things out, never really ridden a motorcycle, outside a dirtbike or moped. I'm not the biggest guy, a stocky 5'8. So a 250 would do the trick I think. What can you guys tell me about a honda rebel? Also looked at cbr250's. Like both of them, but really don't really want to spend a ton of money on a bike. 2k MAX, 1k preferably. Cheap, reliable, fuel efficient, and somewhat fun are my only concerns.

Any suggestions on other bikes to check out? Really like the hondas, no idea why...heard alot of good about them.
Any suggestions on how to make insurance/other costs cheaper as well? (i.e. quote the bike as "recreation" with insurance, smaller cc's, etc.)

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Honda makes a lot of good bikes. The 250cc rebel is not one of them.

Some of the 250cc dirt bikes will f'in scream - the 250cc street bikes (IE rebel) have trouble getting out of their own way.

With a budget of $1k - $2k, you would be better served by looking for a used bike.

Go with what ever style bike you want (cruiser, dual sport, sport bike, touring bike, etc) - but get one that is big enough to be comfortable on & powerful enough to ride in the places that you will actually ride. For most people, that includes the freeways where 65mph in the slow lane gets you run over - and remember that just because a bike will go 65mph, doesn't mean that it will like it. Both of my sub 300cc bikes will go 70 - but it takes a lot of work to get them there, and they are just absolutely strung out. As soon as I hit a small to moderate hill, I'm holding up traffic.

For insurance - smaller engine size is good, and avoiding any sort of high performance bike (which includes a name shared with an actual performance bike). A 250CBR may end up costing you more in insurance than a DR650 just because the CBR is a "sport bike". Of course, a frank discussion with your insurance agent will give you a better answer than a hundred responses on a forum like this.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
A lot of my riding would be rural Georgia highways. 55-62mph tops. Hell, here in the city where my university is, I think the max speed limit may be 45.
I don't know much about the different brands, mostly want something fuel efficient and reliable.

And yes, a used bike is my best option.

gromit

Bad Buddhist
First bike? The aforementioned TW200 or a Ninja 250. Start saving $ cause bikes are like crack, you'll want more. Oh, ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) on a bike *you* are the crumple zone.

i bought a KLR 250 off the EE on here, just recently traded it to a local guy for a KTM 400. (i have only riddin said 400 a couple times because its been down the whole time ive had it... great deal?)

RHINO

Expedition Leader
you mention gas mileage being an issue, so i assume money is the reason? a bike is not always the money saving endeaver you expect it to be, in fact most of the time a bike costs much more than a small car to own and operate. look into all aspects before you decide to buy a bike.

dont buy a rebel. are your main plans for the bike going to be commuting? i would say for a first street bike a good bet is something with a neutral seating position, like a honda hawk, suzuki SV ect.. i really think a 250 is a small bike for street. i also think dual sport bikes are incredibly easy to ride and control on the street and almost any of them make great first bikes.

brassknuckles, i was going to make a comment when you announced your trade, but i didnt want to rain on your parade and i hope i dont insult now, once your done working on it it will be a fun bike to ride, and then work on some more. i hope it will be worth the trade for you, ive been down that road and it kinda sucks.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
You will outgrow a 250 in a week.

its kinda funny cause its true but then as you get past the power trip and go fast stuff you'll find yourself wanting a smaller bike again, and remember just how fun they really are.

Silver dude

Xplorer
Test drive some models. The get signed up for the motorcycle training courses in your area to get your license. Then decide what you need. I personally am in the same boat but have my eyes on the adventure bikes. I'm tall so I need a tall bike and I like the versatility of a dual sport. Having ridden a few I'm looking at big thumpers 600cc or better. I personally feel safer when I don't have to struggle to maintain speed. If your riding highways personally I would look for a 600 or better.

I've been looking at 1 gen KLR 650's sure they might not be ultra modern or glamorous or fast. But, I find them on Craig list for $2500-$2000. They are robust and old enough that if I drop the bike on the trail I'm not going to shed tears. I'm mostly looking for a second way to get to work and save money. Not a chrome loaded money pit or a underpowered moped. Not really looking to make a statement with the bike just have something to ride.

Last edited:

jronwood

Adventurer
I have had three of these in the last,........15-20 years, 1985-1989 XT600, they are still worth the same $1500-2000. They out run many newer larger bikes due to lack of smog crap on them. There is alot of aftermarket stuff available for many newer bikes ,and VERY little for these, but they just keep chugging along. The first pic was the last one I had 15 years ago, sold it for...$1500. Second one is my "new to me ride" paid...$1500..... As far as the "outrun" comment I had better qualify, I rode a 2008 XR650 and was UNIMPRESSED. Now you can spend $2000 on aftermarket to make it scream, but I am on a budget. So, then my buddy the owner came by to pitch it one more tiime to me, and I followed him up the road, or more precisely HE followed me up the road....
Bikes.jpgphone 674.jpg

FAW3

Adventurer
Since your asking this question here on EP...can we assume that some aspect of having the bike may involve off road or trail use? If so, how much and what type (gravel road, maintained trail, wilderness trail/single track? How much is your normal travel on roads with speed flows of under 50 mph? How much at 60-70 mph? What about carrying "stuff" or a second person?

A simple thumper...350-650cc with a suspension that fits your size & weight would likely work...several examples have been listed (KLR, DR, XT)...all have long excellent track records, easy to ride and maintain...and as Ironwood said...they can be relied on to deliver what you need for a decade or more if ridden and taken care of. Some offer more or less in regards fuel tanks, fairing, suspension, etc...but if the actual riding you are going to do matches the bike = smiles. Buy image/style over actual use= frustration.

If With fall approaching the next 60 days should show some nice used bikes on Craigslist and other local advertisements. Get your $$$ ready and be ready to grab a good deal if one comes your way.

CLynn85

Explorer
Forget the rebel, the CBR250R could be a good choice though, depending on your comfort level/riding style. When I got my license I bought the first thing that ran for under a grand, as I really wasn't sure what I'd like, and came home with an 82 KZ440. This got me a cheap bike to play with and not worry about tearing up as a learned, and I had a ton of fun with it. From there I moved to a Super Sherpa to try dirt a little bit, and from there to a KLR650, since the little Sherpa was a chore to ride back/forth to work. The KLR's a great all-around tool, but I keep looking back at the fun I had on the smaller bikes, and have been looking at a few that might be a better compromise between size/power, like some of the newer fuel injected 250's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz