Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sportsmobile and All Terrain Warriors team up

haven is offline Expedition Portal Moderator Expedition Leader

Default Sportsmobile and All Terrain Warriors team up

I'm posting this news in both Sportsmobile and Mitsubishi truck forums.

All Terrain Warriors and Sportsmobile West have agreed to a partnership. Under the agreement, ATW will ship campers to SMB for assembly on USA-legal truck chassis. The first two chassis will be the Ford F450 and the Mitsubishi Fuso Canter.

ATW is working on an all-new camper design. The ATW web site says the new camper is different from current ATW designs, and that it will be a "super tough off-road and international tourer." The web site gives a hint of what the design will look like: "The first unit will have an electric-lifting hinged roof, but there will be a later option of a hardtop that can be removed for shipping in a container." Read more here:
    http://www.allterrainwarriors.com.au...tor-homes.html

The first SMB-ATW products will be available next Spring, hopefully in time for the next Overland Expo.

Here's the press release
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehicules/camper.html

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    I foresee doom. It will never work, because ATW always puts the doors on the wrong side.

Current: 76 E-250, bubble-top, self-contained|couple of old Yamaha enduros
    Previous wheelers: 41 Willys|78 FJ40|78 Bronco|84 Bronco|74 Ramcharger|78 Ramcharger|79 D150 PowerWagon|77 D100|79 D400 dually, converted to 4WD, utility bed, 10' Lance|75 Westy|69 Scout, RHD|bunch of others|bunch of bikes|couple of boats|couple of motorhomes|blah blah|so what|not my idea|just doin' what I'm told|wank wank|this space for rent|candy is dandy|but liquor is quicker

Well I can tell you that having visited both shops, meeting both owners and knowing the people who work at both places....anything that comes out of this partnership will be very cool and worth owning.

Sportsmobile West knows the US market and has years of experience along with plenty of factory space.
    ATW has proven their skills building rigs for mining and tour operations...both of which beat rigs to death.
    There is no way this can anything less than exciting for us in the USA.
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

Quote Originally Posted by dwh View Post
    I foresee doom. It will never work, because ATW always puts the doors on the wrong side.

dwh....It's OK mate. We have Photoshop now.

Hey Lance.
    Last edited by whatcharterboat; 09-02-2012 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1leglance View Post
    Well I can tell you that having visited both shops, meeting both owners and knowing the people who work at both places....anything that comes out of this partnership will be very cool and worth owning.

Sportsmobile West knows the US market and has years of experience along with plenty of factory space.
    ATW has proven their skills building rigs for mining and tour operations...both of which beat rigs to death.
    There is no way this can anything less than exciting for us in the USA.
    I was glad to see this news and hope it delivers us some great choices.

As much as I love the SMB, I'm approaching a stage in life where more interior room and comfort are necessary.

My understanding is that sleeping capacity will be up to 6 with full interior bath. Just what I need.

I'm girding my wallet for what comes next.

R
    2006 Sportsmobile EB51 4x4, 6.0psd.

2005 Jeep Wrangler LJ with some mods.

2015 JKUR: AEV 2.5", Cooper ST-MAXX 255/80/17, AEV tire carrier, KC LEDs, Frontrunner cargo slide and interior shelf.

2001 Honda xr400 dual sport.

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcharterboat View Post
    dwh....It's OK mate. We have Photoshop now.
    Hah! You got me! I spewed a bit of coffee on that one.

I guess you can fix anything with duct tape, baling wire, JB Weld and Photoshop.

Seriously though...where's the pics? Really looking forward to seeing what you blokes come up with.
    Current: 76 E-250, bubble-top, self-contained|couple of old Yamaha enduros
    Previous wheelers: 41 Willys|78 FJ40|78 Bronco|84 Bronco|74 Ramcharger|78 Ramcharger|79 D150 PowerWagon|77 D100|79 D400 dually, converted to 4WD, utility bed, 10' Lance|75 Westy|69 Scout, RHD|bunch of others|bunch of bikes|couple of boats|couple of motorhomes|blah blah|so what|not my idea|just doin' what I'm told|wank wank|this space for rent|candy is dandy|but liquor is quicker

Quote Originally Posted by dwh View Post

Seriously though...where's the pics? Really looking forward to seeing what you blokes come up with.
    I posted what you see below on this page in the Mitsubishi Heavy Truck section.
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ile-Fuso/page6

I am sure this will generate some interest. Last week at the SMB factory. Photos posted with SMB's permission. Planned launch will be next years OvEx but hopefully there will be some appearances at key shows before that.

Attachment 189514

Attachment 189515

Our guy training SMB staff in the assembly techniques that we have developed especially for this project.

Note the second unit in the background awaiting final assembly.... Sides and roof are shipped loose to aid in fitout.

Attachment 189516
    Last edited by whatcharterboat; 10-05-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks, John!

Here's a screen grab from the third photo John shared. The photo shows the ATW camper exterior shell in the background, and the interior being assembled in the foreground. It appears that the floor, sides and roof of the shell are separate pieces. The interior is also composed of separate modules. It seems to me that the advantage to the ATW modular approach is that it's easier and faster to design campers for different size vehicles, and for different markets. To make a model appropriate for USA, with entry door on the other side of the vehicle, a new set of sidewalls would have to be made. But the floor, roof and interior modules could remain unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by haven View Post
    Thanks, John!

To make a model appropriate for USA, with entry door on the other side of the vehicle, a new set of sidewalls would have to be made. But the floor, roof and interior modules could remain unchanged.
    Hi Chip...hope you are well.

No. The sides are the same. We have a door on both sides . We also have a special locker designed for Maxtracks and other recovery gear that goes behind the door on the directly opposite side to the entry door.

Actually the floor is a completely different part on the LHD version. The toilet cubicle , vanity and basin are also different but mirrored versions of our RHD models. All else is the same. There is also a moulded subframe that is designed to marry to the FUSO FGB71 and 72 which is very different to suit the Isuzu NPS we use more commonly in Australia.
    Last edited by whatcharterboat; 10-06-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Well, OK then! No special advantage to the modular approach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast