1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

Area56

Personally, I would step up and plumb in a frame mounted RV propane tank, and put some armor around it. A tube like on the old VW buses will easily run your grill and a propane lantern for a few days. One for sized for a Class B motorhome will obviously last longer.

The advantage is it's hidden, protected in a crash, and out of eyesight of thieves. Since propane is heavy a leak won't flow down and pool in the vehicle when somebody is sleeping in the back. You like repeat customers, right?

On the flip side you can't just swap one out like you can a BBQ tank thrown on the rear rack. It can be quite a hassle finding a place to fill it while on a trip. Maybe a hybrid of some under frame hidden coleman tanks that you can pick up at the local Walmart no matter what town you're in would be the solution.

Of course, I can't find my links to a manufacturer I'd been looking at, but here's a pic of a similar style on thesamba:

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/793075.jpg

pro-rallye

This build is unbelievable! Good timing too, I just happened upon a 72 Scout II and will be drawing inspiration from your build throughout my own. Now if I could just fab on your level I'd be set!

FWIW, I looked into those composite tanks a while back for my LPG truck as a spare and many of them got recalled for various reasons. They may have resolved the issues they were having by now, I'm not sure.

Keep it up, I look forward to the next update!

rube bonet

Adventurer
Personally, I would step up and plumb in a frame mounted RV propane tank, and put some armor around it. A tube like on the old VW buses will easily run your grill and a propane lantern for a few days. One for sized for a Class B motorhome will obviously last longer.

The advantage is it's hidden, protected in a crash, and out of eyesight of thieves. Since propane is heavy a leak won't flow down and pool in the vehicle when somebody is sleeping in the back. You like repeat customers, right?

On the flip side you can't just swap one out like you can a BBQ tank thrown on the rear rack. It can be quite a hassle finding a place to fill it while on a trip. Maybe a hybrid of some under frame hidden coleman tanks that you can pick up at the local Walmart no matter what town you're in would be the solution.

Of course, I can't find my links to a manufacturer I'd been looking at, but here's a pic of a similar style on thesamba:

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/793075.jpg

I've actually used the westfalia tank on another truck I worked on, mounted underneath,behind the rear bumper, protected by a skid plate.

P101000725.jpg

you can see the outlets for barbecue and stove in the holes in the bumper center section
P10100019.jpg

It was nice to use, but was a PIA to get filled, especially in remote places. The problem with this is that on the Scout there is really no room left underneath for it. The rockers aren't deep enough to hold it, even if I wanted to put it there. The rear is full of the fuel tank, exhaust is running down the inside of the rails to the rear axle...

You make a good point about it leaking down while someone is sleeping....hmmm, I'll definitely have to give this more thought. Of course, I never gave it much thought before now, generally throwing all the propane cans in an action packer and forgetting about until it was time to cook.:campfire:

Area56

Well that looks a hell of a lot better than the one in my head. :)
I did have an old vw bus, and the downside is absolutely getting it filled. It was thus empty most of the time.

generally throwing all the propane cans in an action packer and forgetting about until it was time to cook

I think that's pretty much what 99% of all of us do when camping. Those little things are so durable, but in reality they're still expensive little bombs. Would be nice to have an secure, convenient, AND economical way to get propane.

Reminds me of an old joke. Guy jumps out of a plane and his parachute just won't open. As he's struggling with it, hurtling towards the ground, he sees that there's a man shooting up straight towards him. As the other man rockets past he yells out "DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PARACHUTES???". The other man screams back "NO! DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PROPANE?"

-- I just remembered that I've seen those little stainless grills they mount on the railings of boats that look like mini backyard bbq's. I wonder how they handle it.

rube bonet

Adventurer
I got the parts to finish the air intake system, decided to do a cold air/ mini snorkel set up. It will be easily changed to a full snorkel when the conditions require. The Scout had enough room in the fenderwell to run 4 inch diameter tubing with plenty of room. I used aluminized steel tubing because of the availabilty of some tighter mandrel bends and its durability, especially if the fender started getting mashed for some reason.

I used a 5" to 4" 90 degree rubber elbow to go into the UMP filter housing
IMG_2012_11_15_7466.jpg

I then snaked it through the cowl, and gave it room to exit next to the codrivers spotlight
IMG_2012_11_15_7468.jpg

The top of the intake will get a rain cap (ala HMMWV) with a quick release hose clamp facilitating snorkel extension and hood opening.
IMG_2012_11_15_7470.jpg

I had to massage the hood rest stop position, and I still need to finish in the cut in the hood. I also need to trim the intake down to the correct, lower height, but I am waiting until the new intake hood comes in.

rube bonet

Adventurer
And the best part....it is starting to look like a Scout again! Trimmed fenders on, grill mocked up...it is time to build a front bumper!

IMG_2012_11_15_7469.jpg

rube bonet

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words!

It's Friday afternoon, I thought I would alleviate some major concerns that many others, on this board and thru other means, have had with some of my fab work.

The holes in the fold down tables do NOT allow your beer to fall thru. On the contrary, the dimple actually matches the bottom of a coors can perfectly, even allowing a "spherical" type motion enabling you to level your beer out, just in case your parking spot is not perfectly level.:victory:

IMG_2012_11_15_7473.jpg

That is what I was concerned with (the jumping castle thing). I like the hard abs ones, http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2157 But my seat mount is 3/4 inch the wrong direction to allow that too fit:oops:

Thanks for all the nice words everyone!

A little sneak preview of the fold down tables on the back of the swing aways. I think this is a sign I am itching to build another race car; fold down food prep tables are .090 aluminum, dimple died, weigh less than 4 lbs for the both of them, and can support 200lbs. I'm pretty sure my OCD manifests itself in extreme weight reduction :sombrero:

One side holds stove and gear, other side is big enough for a large cutting board, leaving the back of the vehicle open.
IMG_2012_10_16_7308.jpg

They will be supported by coated aircraft cable (load rated)
IMG_2012_10_16_7307.jpg

I still need to put the latch and rubbber bumpers in place
IMG_2012_10_16_7309.jpg

Ok I thought of a funny caption for this pic: "Honey I finished up the tailgate stuff but I sure wish I could figure out some way to keep this darned lift gate up." "I know I will get you a new stick of wood" :)

rube bonet

Adventurer
Ok I thought of a funny caption for this pic: "Honey I finished up the tailgate stuff but I sure wish I could figure out some way to keep this darned lift gate up." "I know I will get you a new stick of wood" :)

Hey, my liftgate prop is a piece of steel strap! Mostly because the stick is currently serving as the hood prop:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior