Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

slooowr6

Explorer
Nice rig can't wait to see your platform setup. :) you might want to take a look at the Taco TSB on rear suspension. As your build progress the truck will be come heavier and our Taco is known for it's weak rear leaf spring. I read 07 Taco is now included in the TSB

Overland Hadley

on a journey
slooowr6 said:
you might want to take a look at the Taco TSB on rear suspension. As your build progress the truck will be come heavier and our Taco is known for it's weak rear leaf spring. I read 07 Taco is now included in the TSB

I just read that on your thread. What are some of the details? What do I need to watch for? Thanks for the heads up.

Nice pic of the truck in Yosemite valley. I was just out there this spring, amazing country.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
That looks great. Good job. I'm very familiar with that LEER model. Loved the extra room but never liked the vertical windows. The windoors are perfect!

I agree about the weak suspension. Mine bottoms out on the highway with just my shell + 150lbs of gear. Add my RTT + camping supplies and it's like a hardtail chopper. I'm trying to find a Deaver, OME or similar setup that will keep my ride height as close to stock as possible yet still be able to handle a heavy load.

slooowr6

Explorer
Thanks, I really like Yosemite been there more than 15 times. :oops:
The TSB # is SU006-7. PM me if you want a copy of the TSB. Here is a thread on Toyota Nation on TSB for 07..
My camper is 800lbs so I did a lot of study on what to do with the rear. OME Dakar is nice but it lift the rear 2.75" with no load. I contact ARB and the response from ARB AU is that they tested the Dakar with 400kg (880lbs) in the bed and it give the Taco about 25mm-30mm lift in the rear. But I'm more worry about when at full drop my 5100 shock might not be long enough. I hear good things about the custom Deaver TACODOC has a 12 pack on his Taco but I hear they all squeak, I guess it's a "feature" :), if you have the load on your truck full time then it's a great setup and forget solution. I'm going to get Firestone airbag after I get the TSB done. My camper is MUCH heavier on the driver side. Airbag give me the ability to level the truck side to side.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I was just reading a Dirt Sports & noticed this product: "Light Racing Jounce Shocks"
Light Racing was founded by the designer of all of the McPherson Chevrolet Desert racing trucks ('Big Mac', 'Little Mac', etc.).

Anyway, this seemed like a good place to link them.

'96-'04 Tacomas

'05 up Tacomas

Nice looking truck, I too will watching to see where you go with it and where it takes you.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
TSB for 07 Tacoma

slooowr6 said:
The TSB # is SU006-7. Here is a thread on Toyota Nation on TSB for 07..

Thanks again for the info!

I read what they had to say over on Toyota Nation. A four leaf set with an inch of lift sounds like it would help a lot. Plus I can get that flimsy gate reinforced, I have thought it would break just standing on it. Now I just need to drive the five hours to get the truck to my "local" Toyota dealer.

Any other TSB for the 07 that I should know about. Anybody know anything about the seats getting discolored after they have gotten wet?

I will post pics when I get the new leafs on.

I got the new leafs on my 05 and they are a huge improvement! I don't think you will be able to get the tailgate reinforced unless your dealer has the parts in stock, which isn't likely. But, this isn't a bad thing. Toyota is coming out with a new tailgate TSB in Oct/Nov that is going to replace the entire tailgate with a new design, and not just reinforce the old tailgate. I would wait for that TSB. Just watch the activity on ToyotaNation and you will see when it is out.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Very nice setup. I was going to ask you why you had that big box up on top of your truck when the bed was empty, but now that you have the shell, I guess it's a moot question.

Love the high rise. I have a cab-high and it's not good for camping. Not enough headroom. Still for $150 (craigslist special) I can't complain, I guess. But eventually I'll probably get the high rise. The windoors are sweet. I hate having to crawl into mine to get something from the front of the bed. My knees aren't that good and it's just not fun.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
TSB for 07 Tacoma

Well, no luck for me with the TSB. I called Toyota and gave them my VIN number and they said that it was not for my truck. ? Not sure why, I looked and I have dropped a fair amount with just the topper, and with a little weight in the back the bump stops were getting close, but not hitting. So I guess I will have to stay with the 3 leaf for now, and upgrade sometime in the future. I wish I knew why some 07's can get the new leaf pack and some can not. Anybody know anything?

My standard 3 leaf.

2004963995048282191_rs.jpg

slooowr6

Explorer
Dealers are not all equal. The one 5 mins from my house wouldn't touch my truck unless I remove my air bag and 5100. The one 30miles from place order the parts after 1 phone call.
If 07 has been included in the TSB your truck should be cover. Call a couple more dealer see what they say.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Another piece of equipment

Ha ha, another piece of kit. Picked this up at a friends place, I am helping build his house. I am hoping that this along with a set of WAG bags will count as "a hard sided toilet system" for camping on BLM land. And yes that is just mud, nothing else.

My hard sided toilet system.

2003529585584805390_rs.jpg

Overland Hadley said:
Ha ha, another piece of kit. Picked this up at a friends place, I am helping build his house. I am hoping that this along with a set of WAG bags will count as "a hard sided toilet system" for camping on BLM land. And yes that is just mud, nothing else.

My hard sided toilet system.

2003529585584805390_rs.jpg

See that is what happens when you drink the water.

Needed a good laugh. Yeah no point in spending a crap load on a toilet when you can just make one. I have been slowly getting my 07 Tacoma up to where I want it. I put camburg 2.5 coilovers on the front and will be putting on custom alcan the rear next week. Two weeks from now I will add a custom rear bumper with a swing out tire gate, gas can holder, and high lift holder from CBI. I would love to have a basket like your set up on top of my truck for suff like shovels and the likes but I carry sea kayaks so no go. I have yet to travel a long distance in my Tacoma, we will next year when we move back to New England. How do you like it? It is great to see another access cab by the way.

By the way, I put 265/75/16 BFG ATs on my truck and they did not rub... at first. When I put on aftermarket wheels with a different backspacing they rubbed. I had to do some cutting. So if you are staying stock then no they will fit great.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Streakerfreak said:
Two weeks from now I will add a custom rear bumper with a swing out tire gate, gas can holder, and high lift holder from CBI.
Please share pics when you get it finished!

As for the toilet... A cheap (<$10) toilet seat from Home Depot will fit perfectly on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Line the inside with a small plastic trash bag and fill with a couple inches of sand or kitty litter. After use, store the small plastic bags in a large, super-heavy-duty Hefty bag until you get to an appropriate garbage can.

scottg

Observer
looks good man, the topper is a great start!

what size rack is on it? Do you really plan to load it up enough to need 4 crossbars?

ScottG

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Super sweet ride - and WELCOME - sorry for the late entry here but I just got back from a road trip to Montana via Yellowstone.

I have a concern about your topper and your plans. Mine is a SnuggTop with a roof reinforcement. I added the Yak track system and Load Warrior basket but even still, I do not think it can support much weight at all. I was hoping to put my high lift and gas up there, but was cautioned against it by many here as well as the topper dealer. The main concern is the rough side to side jolts that come from being off pavement. I fear that it could pull the topper apart. Perhaps yours is a different setup, but I would advise you check into it a little before you load it up. Just my .02

You take some mean photos too - thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94