Building My Overland Tacoma: Plans, Progress, Perplexions

NetDep

Adventurer
Hadley -

Thanks for taking the time to stop over @ flickr!! It is a lot of fun and the truck - and assorted odds & ends - are primarily to futher my hobby of photography. Who knew the truck could be her own hobby?!?!? I will look at the other thread as well. And it is pretty strange that the bridges our respective trucks are pictured seem so similar!!

Take care and safe wheeling!!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
What do you guys think of this rear bumper?

TC6124-1.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I don't like the socket receiver being tagged-on underneath. It should be in the bumper to increase departure angle and be less of a hindrance to backing up a steep incline. I'd like to know if the body of the bumper is tubular or essentially C-channel. If it's tubular are those shackle mounts bolted to one side only, or are they bolted to both sides via welded-in bolt sleeves, and do they straddle the bumper mounting brackets so that there is no torsion in the bumper when a load is placed on them?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I don't like the socket receiver being tagged-on underneath. It should be in the bumper to increase departure angle and be less of a hindrance to backing up a steep incline. I'd like to know if the body of the bumper is tubular or essentially C-channel. If it's tubular are those shackle mounts bolted to one side only, or are they bolted to both sides via welded-in bolt sleeves, and do they straddle the bumper mounting brackets so that there is no torsion in the bumper when a load is placed on them?

The hitch is the factory hitch, which is left in place. For some reason I like having the factory hitch, instead of a bumper mounted hitch.

The shackles are where the bumper is mounted to the frame. So if you used the shackles it would pull through the frame mount, not the bumper. (Here is a link to the instalation instructions, that show the frame to bumper mounts. LINK)

Does that help answer some of your questions ntsqd?

keezer37

Explorer
Are you getting the swing-out also? I mention because I know a couple people have mentioned putting the spare back underneath.

I've had no luck with powdercoating and winter salts here in Ohio. I've been slowly coating all my heavy metal with DOM16 (Canada's answer to POR15, creative, huh?). It is very easy to work with. We're it me, I'd try to get it bare metal and rustproof it rather than powdercoat before assy.

You might need some plate lights. I use these. So far, so good.
http://www.amazon.com/030302-LiteN-..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1316985970&sr=1-1

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Link

I guess the time has come to sell my topper. Kind of hard to let it go as I have spent over 100 great nights in it. I got it in 2008, and in 2011 I took it off the truck and built a storage rack to keep it on.

It is a model 122, the high roof model. Some of the features it has are: full lining, sliding and removable front window, cargo net ceiling storage, windoors, honeycomb reinforced roof with top tracks for rack system. Oh yes, it is color matched to the silver found on the Tacoma. It cost about $2,000 in 2008, I am sure it would cost more now.

If you can come up to Grand Marais to pick it up I would sell it for $500.

Let me know if you have any questions.

75941359.jpg

img56632.jpg

img54952.jpg

1112ny.jpg

84693260.jpg

img28242.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz