Toyo OPEN COUNTRY A/T II

BCHauler

Adventurer
Finally finished up an epic brake job on my wifes c240 and while backing it out of the driveway for a test drive, promptly drove over a ratchet with oddball sized torx head socket needed for removing the rotors. Flattened the tire, broke the socket, exercised my vocabulary.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm just taking a better look at the tires and realize that they gave me the older version AT and not the AT-II tires...
...commence pissed-off feelings...

EDIT-Update:
Called the shop and they're going to replace them with the right tires. They're a good bunch at Discount Tire in Alpharetta.

Another EDIT Update:
The AT-IIs are on national backorder and Toyo sent the wrong ones knowing that... ...I get to keep these older version and replace them with new ones in two months.
Discount Tire didn't know the difference and had ordered the right tires.

Last edited:

High_Country

Adventurer
Backorder...i was kind of worried about that.

I'm hoping that when my current tires wear out - maybe another year or so - that the AT II's will be more available. Then again, I suppose the jury is still out on whether or not the AT II's are any better than the original AT's. I wonder if a guy should buy the AT's while he still can or wait to get the AT II's?

Probably not a BIG difference but I'm guessing that the AT II's will be better.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Looks like I'll get about 6 weeks with these older version ATs before the ATIIs arrive; I'll be able to subjectively compare them.
The sidewalls on the newer version look better for use in our slick mountain clay and I hope that doesn't hinder me before I get the new tires...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Toyo ATII's next.

I miss the Toyo AT's I ran prior to my Toyo MT's. The AT's were on national backorder last Christmas and I was on maypop status so I went with the MT's. Killer strong,precision built tire which worked great in UT and locally in Borrego but overkill for me.

It's going to be a longtime before the MT's are worn out as I've got 15/32" left after 15K,but the Toyo ATII's will be next.

Discount always gives me the Stinkeye when I request Toyo as they are a Nitto dealer,but they advertise they'll match any price out there...You can't beat their replacement certificates.

DMT

K7DMT
Toyo pricing anomaly

Hi, I am new to this forum - just joined. Howdy everyone!

So I was buying some new Toyos for a passenger car this morning at my local Les Schwab and while waiting checked pricing for replacement Toyos for my '94 Diesel Suburban. What I found kind of interesting is that the 35/1250-17 ATIIs are priced slightly less than the somewhat smaller 285/75-17s. $294 per tire for the 285s and $283 for the 35s. In terms of size comparison, the 285 ATIIs are 33.9" tall and 11.3" wide and the 35 inch ATIIs are 34.5" tall and 12.50" wide. So quite a bit wider, but just over a 1/2 inch taller.

Right now I am running 295/70-17 M/Ts which are on their last legs-- about 20% tread life left after about 44K miles with frequent rotating. I have no complaints with the M/Ts. They work extremely well offroad, handle wet roads well, are reasonably quiet and wear very well given their open design thanks to the ludicrously deep rubber. Still, I am intrigued by the ATII and am looking forward to checking them out when Les Schwab gets their first shipment in in mid-October, esp. the 35s which are about $50 less per tire than the 295 M/Ts and are expected to last at least 60K miles. Two of the Les Schwab technicians are planning on switching to the ATII 35s from the 295 M/Ts on their rigs. I'm leaning towards the same plan.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Welcome aboard, DMT,

I got the 285/75-17 ATIIs for $250/tire (including the price they would've cost shipped) by Discount price-matching. Unfortunately the 35s won't fit my truck without different wheels...

My old 295/70-17 Cooper STTs were $225/tire last year. Free shipping and a $75 Visa card to boot.

hoser

Explorer
What I found kind of interesting is that the 35/1250-17 ATIIs are priced slightly less than the somewhat smaller 285/75-17s. $294 per tire for the 285s and $283 for the 35s. In terms of size comparison, the 285 ATIIs are 33.9" tall and 11.3" wide and the 35 inch ATIIs are 34.5" tall and 12.50" wide. So quite a bit wider, but just over a 1/2 inch taller.
The 285/75R17 is a bit of an oddball size. The 35/12.5/17 will probably outsell it 3:1. Compare the 35/12.5/17 in the 18, 19 and 20" versions and I'm sure the price will go higher even though theoretically, the 17" version should require less material to manufacture.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just had my Discount Tire shop check on the new ATII's in 285/75R18 and they're 6-8 weeks out minimum. $320ea.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Thanks Hilldweller...they've matched for me before but you saved me the search time. And you found an incredible price to boot! :clapsmile

Allof75

Pathfinder
I went to the Off Road Expo in Pamona CA this weekend, and while touring the various booths (Shoutout to anyone there!) I stopped by Allen tire to get a quote, as I needed some new tires (mine have flat spots from the PO), and after giving them the tire size I needed, 245/75r16, they gave me a quote of $131 a tire on the new Toyo Open Country AT II. Needless to say I was quite intrigued and pulled the trigger on that bargain! So now I am going to get them installed tomorrow, and reflecting you guys' comments regarding issues getting the AT II, have specifically confirmed that the tires in question are the AT II. I'll throw up some pics when I get them installed tomorrow (hopefully).

Last edited:

Halligan

Adventurer
One thing I have read regarding the new Toyo A/T II is certain size tires will have an "Extreme" tread while other will be standard tread. The "Extreme" will have a more agressive sidewall and deeper tread. I wish Toyo would list these "Extreme" tires on their website. I'm thinking about this tire in 285/75/17 for my truck and would like this size to be Extreme.

hoser

Explorer
If tread depth is an indication of extreme, that size has a tread depth of 17/32.... the range of tread depth for the ATII is 12 to 17/32nds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke