MJ Auxiliary fuel tank

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Hi, I've been searching for a way to extend the range in my comanche, planning on making a trip to Alaska. I have seen some 97+ conversions put an XJ tank in place of the stock spare. Does anyone have experience with this? I have a '92 shortbed MJ, and I'm looking for maybe adding an XJ tank, or wrangler tank where the spare tire is. Any tips or advice would be great.
Cheers

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
You will never have to drive more than 200 miles between gas stations on the Alaska highway.

-Dan

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Dan Thanks for the info, your trip actually was a ton of motivation. As I both own a TJ and was born and raised in Argentina. The gas tank mod is something I still wanna look into bc my spare doesn't fit down there regardless. And someday in the future I would like to drive to Argentina in the MJ or the TJ.

1stDeuce

Explorer
I was on a ZR2 S-10 forum several years ago wherein a gentleman put a 20 gallon boat tank in the bottom of his cross bed tool box and just used a pulse-pump and switch to refill his factory tank on the fly. Seemed to work fine for him. You could also do the XJ tank thing, and use the XJ in-tank pump to refill the main.
On my '96 GMC, I plumbed and wired in a switched dual tank valve that switched the feed and return lines, and also the fuel gauge. With just a little more wiring, you could also switch the pumps on and off, and then you'd just need to T them together with check valves and you'd have a true switchable dual tank setup with one gauge reading both tanks! That would be pretty cool!! I got the switching valve from JCW. You'll need the "6-way" valve to handle the returns.

You could also consider just carrying two jerry cans, one in each front corner of the box. That's 10 gallons that's there if you need it, and portable if someone else needs it. :)
Have fun!!

Last edited:

Gaucho919

Adventurer
thanks Deuce, that true dual tank setup would be ideal. The space where the spare used to be is just so perfect for another fuel tank. I will post up whatever it is that I come up with.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Yeah I ended up using a switch from a ford pick-up with dual tanks, wiring both pumps, and used two in-line fuel check valves, to keep pressure from going back into the system that wasn't being used. I have the filler neck going inside the bed right now, but I want to put in an XJ fuel door on the outside of the bed just like the ford pick-ups had. I haven't been around my Comanche for 3 months now, miss it like crazy!

There is a picture here of where I installed the tank

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59023-Croc-Hunter-92-MJ/page17

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12