AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Is this an actual group?

I have found many videos on youtube about it etc

I am disabled & would like to join my fellow explorers

I found a website link but it goes nowhere www.disabledexplorers.org

anyone have any info?

jes3se

I'm not sure why the site isn't opening for me now. I believe, and I could be thinking of another, similarly named group, that disabled explorers is the group that someone here in Arizona started. The guy I'm thinking of goes by 1leglance. Originally he built up an fj cruiser but last I heard he had built a big full size van that was handicap accessible.
I'm pretty sure he's on expo, but I haven't really been following him lately. I used to see stuff from him on azfj.org.

Updated: he is on here, drop him a pm. I've heard lots of good things about him an he'd be the one to talk to.

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I'm not sure why the site isn't opening for me now. I believe, and I could be thinking of another, similarly named group, that disabled explorers is the group that someone here in Arizona started. The guy I'm thinking of goes by 1leglance. Originally he built up an fj cruiser but last I heard he had built a big full size van that was handicap accessible.
I'm pretty sure he's on expo, but I haven't really been following him lately. I used to see stuff from him on azfj.org.

Updated: he is on here, drop him a pm. I've heard lots of good things about him an he'd be the one to talk to.

Thanks !

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I PM'd this guy twice on here & no reply

guess its only on paper or something

maybe I should start such a group

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Sorry for the quietness as I was doing some deep thinking on where to go with DE..
and after it is all said and done I have to say I am shutting it down.
I am just not the right fit with all my family and personal time constraints and the cost are too much for someone like me who hates to fundraise.

So if anyone else wants to run with the idea then please feel free to go for it. I would be happy to relate my experiences and thoughts. What the public sees is only about 20% of the work that goes into a non-profit.

I still take folks out but it is in my personal rig...that solves the issues of super high insurance, and permits for any public land you cross. And I am working with mainly amputees, stroke suffers and para's who have a high activity level. I meet plenty of these folks though the hospital I work at and through contacts I already have thus no public postings.
The website is shut down ($200 a year saved right there) and the 503c is shut down. I looked into handoff of it but as a family we were comfortable with possible liability if the next person made some mistakes.

Again I would encourage anyone thinking of doing something like this to think long and hard about if they could achieve the same goal privately or by working with a group that is already out there.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Sorry for the quietness as I was doing some deep thinking on where to go with DE..
and after it is all said and done I have to say I am shutting it down.
I am just not the right fit with all my family and personal time constraints and the cost are too much for someone like me who hates to fundraise.

So if anyone else wants to run with the idea then please feel free to go for it. I would be happy to relate my experiences and thoughts. What the public sees is only about 20% of the work that goes into a non-profit.

I still take folks out but it is in my personal rig...that solves the issues of super high insurance, and permits for any public land you cross. And I am working with mainly amputees, stroke suffers and para's who have a high activity level. I meet plenty of these folks though the hospital I work at and through contacts I already have thus no public postings.
The website is shut down ($200 a year saved right there) and the 503c is shut down. I looked into handoff of it but as a family we were comfortable with possible liability if the next person made some mistakes.

Again I would encourage anyone thinking of doing something like this to think long and hard about if they could achieve the same goal privately or by working with a group that is already out there.

Thanks for the info

I am so sorry to hear of the troubles & it closing, however you haev my sympathy

i was lookiing forward to joining

I too am not in the position to take over anything

However just a club with disabled members would seem interesting or at least that is what I was implying

sixbennetts

Adventurer
Can I join? This is the view that I currently am, "enjoying".
20121024_131908.jpg

Cancer sucks, BTW.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
6Bennetts, I suppose I can post my thoughts here without stirring up too much trouble, I happened to see this section tonight, also noted the date you posted here. Being in California everything and everyone is subject to some sort of culpability tort. Saying your sorry isn't what it used to be. This is what I understood from the above discussion regards to such a club. Even businesses here in my community are having to close their doors due to excessive liability claims. It ruins creativity, stifles well intentioned entrepreneur opportunist, even causes otherwise viable products to be removed from shelves.

Medically speaking, anyone in this country poses a "Tort threat/Risk" even if they sign a promise to not sue, whom suffers (?) even if its family who see big dollar signs. Its daunting to most, as America a most gracious Nation, but in oh so many other ways, a community of Look the Other Way... Surely somebody else will take the initiative to act. In that respect, I have a special place in my heart for those whom work in the field with our disabled. Friends, family and neighbors' whom continue to visit, even help out. Then those that don't, and man! That right there could run into an entire book describing why folks can't or won't become involved with the disabled.

Regards to going along on an expedition, as I've described could be indicative of what we all are looking into-this Heavy photo, your October circumstances. Tell me? The bag in the photo? Is that your junk on the bunk? Meaning Possessions? You going home? No one can tell except by your description "This is what I am currently enjoying?"

In conclusion, an expedition enthusiast who'd be planning a lengthy trip into the interior with little to no communications, services, or other nearby emergency resources I doubt would wish to take such a responsibility. Heck? Just to get many jobs ah guy has to go through a ton of hoops just to be a pole climber for PG&E!

I hope I didn't upset you or anybody else regards my words. I merely thought it offered some explanation, as no other volunteered any.

I do hope you are doing much better, give us an update?

<<<

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Several times I've attempted to create a Disabled Group and offer reviews on a variety of products based on accessibility issues. it would seem that the link is dead.. But I'm willing to start something here or on Google+.. if you're interested in creating this group and having infor for others seeking support for their hobby, let me know.

My issue, First.. I happen to be fortunate to have inherited some sort of like Hypodysplasia from my father side of the family.. Then having been hit by a reckless drive in the 90's it's becoming more and more a challenge to do simply things. The Jeep's driver seats is starting to show signs of wear on the outer edge upon entry.. The Jeep has not been lifted.. but is still hard to enter anyway. Once seated.. if I turn to exit.. I could throw my back out.. So everything is timing and choreographed. In other words.. we aren't giving up the Jeep unless I simply can not enter any longer.

I hear you, I have the same issue with my yukon

I think the effort to get in & out of it, helps to keep what little mobility I have LOL

I have an online forum thats free to join & in there I have an area for disabled members to discuss issues, please join if so desired
http://expeditionnorth.forumotion.com/ & invite others as well if you want

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Although I completed my registration and entered the site.. The sites colors are harsh.. the chat window (near the top of the page) should be moved to the bottom of the page.. Because when I scrolled down the chat window increased in size not allowing me to view the forum. One issue all forums are facing is that sites like Facebook and Google (with their near instant gratification posting) are taking users away from the typical forum atmosphere. Also, there is a "Disabled Jeep owners" on Google+ but as with most who create these groups.. they simply leave the community open without moderation.. So it would appear that you have control/handle of your forum.. I'm just not interested in the overall format and colors. Thnx

So far, noone has posted in the subforum, so it's not like the colours matters that much yet. Maybe when people have posted some more and there's something to read/contribute to, the question of colours can become a point?

There is also a subforum here on ExpeditionPortal, and I think it might be slightly better in that amputees and people with other problems are a niche within a niche, and it being so, it is perhaps better to have a non-regional (sub-) forum like that?

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I couldn't care less if someone looks over my shoulder and point and laugh. Nor do I feel the need to have the disability subforum up somewhere where it is prominent/or a disabled forum solely for disabled people. I recognise that we are a niche within a niche, and as such, our "place" is somewhat natural: A subforum on a website where most are not disabled in some way. I don't see the problem, to be honest. I don't expect the world to cater to me, and if someone feels like watching over our shoulders and laugh at us, so be it. The positive side to being part of a larger website is that more brains think better than fewer, and I will not dismiss someone's suggestions, merely because he is not disabled himself.

I don't feel like I'm second-grade or something like it, and if people want to laugh at us after reading what we say, so be it. There are ************ bags everywhere, but that is the price to pay if you also want to chat with stand-up people.

In all honesty, although the subforum here is not well-visited, it is here. So what if a ************ bag happen to read one of our posts and point and laugh? We all like this general forum for talking "expeditions", equipment, and the like. It just so happens that a small percentage of us have some additional problems to cater to as well. Notice how the people speaking about their CPAP machines aren't laughed at? They are not. Okay, that is perhaps not a "disability" like not being able to move properly, but still, they are mostly here, not to talk about the CPAP machine/problems, but here to share all the other chat. Using a CPAP is just one other thing to cater to (batteries etc.).

Anyway, In summary, I think that if someone is being a ************ because you have some sort of disability, I suggest you report the post, and then put the person on ignore. However, if people want to laugh at me, so be it. I am the bigger man, and I hope they will never themselves suffer from something disabling. They probably wouldn't be able to deal with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles