Moglanders Travels - So this is South America?

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Cheers Dan, will defiantly take a look.

We are still out of action and now waiting on a shipment from the uk. Fingers crossed the local customs guys won't muck about with it, it's second hand parts.

If anyone is near esquel in the next week or so, drop by the camp site up the hill in the town, and join us for a coffee! Please excuse me if I have climbed a wall before you get here!

Merv

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Oh boy! I did not realize it was so long since updating this thread! A lot has happened, and I'll try give a brief version of it all.

We got our truck sorted, and back on the road. We ended up having to take a bus 1800km to Buenos Aires to clear the parts through customs personally as UPS wanted a large fortune to do it for us, and was going to take a month for them to get it done. Once we got to BA, and were due to visit customs, the whole city went on strike for a day so we were delayed another day. Once we got to customs, we managed to do in 3 hours what UPS said would take a Month. Still, it meant we got to visit BA which was nice and was not on our route. Blog post here.

IMG_0080.jpg
We went to see a Polo match in BA - Superb fun for a day out.

IMG_0035.jpg
Sarah checking out the famous singer, Eva Peron.

When we got back to our truck with our parts, we were on the road pretty quickly. We headed east for the Atlantic coast as we wanted to see some Pengins and Whales.

IMG_0733.jpg
Rockhopper Penguins

We had a nice stop on Peninsula Valdes, famous for whale spotting. More on the blog here. and then headed South for Ushuaia - the end of the World.

MERV2448.jpg
Us, at the end of Ruta 3 in Argentina.

Then we decided to spoil ourselves a bit and head further south, and managed to get onto a last minute deal and off to Antarctica we went! That was an amazing side trip, and one of the best things we have done so far. Simply amazing.

MERV2890.jpg
Penguins on the beach on the Faulkland Islands.

MERV3305.jpg
Landrovers on the Faulklands.

IMG_1918.jpg
Fur Seal

Antarctic blog posts here.

After that, we headed North, and are now travelling up the Carretera Austral in Chile.

MERV9273.jpg
Marble caves known as the Cathedral.

MERV8884.jpg
Sunset by a lake, wild camping just on the beach.

I'll try keep this page updated a bit more often, sorry for the big gap. Lets be careful out there!

Hola Merv! It seems like we may be quite close (though maybe too far?) We should try to meet up before we start heading east. We are meandering north towards Mendoza (in the 7 Lakes area at the moment).

Scott Brady

Founder
Beautiful images. Glad you are enjoying South America.
attachment.php

mervifwdc

Adventurer
We plan to be in Mendoza in about 2 weeks from now (before the end of March)..... Love to meet up if your still in that area.

Hola Merv! It seems like we may be quite close (though maybe too far?) We should try to meet up before we start heading east. We are meandering north towards Mendoza (in the 7 Lakes area at the moment).

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Cheers Scott! Much appreciated!

MERV9897.jpg
We visited a Rodeo, and it was quite different to the few we have been to in the USA. Both types are good fun, just different. In Chile, there is no holding area for the horse, it's just tied to a pole. Once the rider is on and is happy, then the horse is released.

3W0K3850.jpg

We've also been to the Island of Chiloe, and it's a really nice spot. It reminded us of Ireland as it's so green and wet!
MERV0610.jpg
We loved the wildlife, especially the river otters.

MERV0811.jpg
And they know how to launch boats too! Even the cattle have to work for a living here.

We are heading north again, and looking forward to some large mountains and volcanos. I'll let you know what we find!

Merv.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,

We have had quite a few new experiences since my last post, I'm looking forward to sharing them with you.

As we were traveling north through Chile on Ruta 5 from Chiloe Island , we thought we would visit a Volcano, and maybe try climb one. We were wondering about our German friends who we had parted company with when we arrived to Chiloe, and we bumped into them in the town of Pucon, so we decided to climb Volcano Villarica together.

We camped at the bottom of the ski lifts the night before our climb, and the view from there was superb. We had an early night though as the climb was supposed to be tough if you want to get up quickly.
The climb was heavy going, it was the first time we had ever used campons and ice axes. We needed them for about an hour going up the ice near the top. The view made up for it though.
MERV4649.jpg

We came down a lot quicker than we went up! you basically sit down on the ice in a channel that has been worn by those before you, and off you go!
HPCarretera-Rodeo-26-von-32.jpg

When we got down, we had to have a beer to celebrate St. Patricks day.
MERV9195.jpg

And, we had a superb sunset that night, what a day! Click to see the full blog post about Volcan Villarica.
IMG_5363.jpg

We parted ways with our fellow climbers, and went to look for more National Parks with Volcanos as the landscapes are so different than what we are used to at home in Ireland. Chile really does not disappoint. If you are interested, the sign is a Volcano warning.
MERV9288.jpg

We then crossed back into Argentina, and headed to Mendoza to meet up with fellow overlanders, Phil and Angie. We had met them some months before, and wanted to spend a few days together before they finished their few years in South America. They have since gone home to the UK, and are getting ready for a China trip.

MERV9456.jpg

We had a few great days touring the wineries, and even decided that our trucks were a bit big, so hired some alternative transportation. Clickf you want to see more of our Mendoza Wineries by Tandem.
IMG_0394.jpg

We then went to visit the Finca of a couple of ex-overlanders who have settled in Argentina. They now own and run their own fruit farm, and we went to visit for a few days, which ended up as a fortnight. We got to help out a bit, and were involved in everything around the place, which was fantastic!

MERV9570.jpg
Going picking fruit at dawn with their 1940's Fiat tractor.

MERV9584.jpg
Local people in helping with the plums.

MERV9889.jpg
Carrying the grapes up the ramp to the truck.

There are loads more photographs on the Finca which was one of the highlights of Argentina for us, as we were treated as family instead of travelers. Click here if you want to learn more about life on a Finca in Argentina.

From there, we went back into Chile, and we are now parked up house sitting a house on the coast for a friend of ours who has flown to the Overland Expo in the states. Which means, no more travel tales until she makes it back!

Until next time!

mervifwdc

Adventurer
We have been pushing hard to get to Bolivia. It is not easy to leave Argentina and Chile, they are superb countries to travel in. Still, we got into Bolivia for a wee while, and it was brilliant!

MERV2608.jpg

We have been through the famous Salar de Uyuni and went the back way through to San Pedro de Atacama. What a drive! it has to be one of the epics. It took us 7 days to do it, but we went a slightly longer way than we had to.

IMG_0411.jpg

Working backwards (I really should update this thread more often!) We had a bit of a squeeze on a narrow mountain pass on our final push up through Argentina. I think this is the tightest track possible for a Unimog Camper. We made it, but I know it's not the smartest thing we ever did.

We were in Salta for the annual Goucho festival, basically an Argentinian Cowboy festival. It was more about religious ideals than rodeo, but it was a super insight into what makes these men and women tick.
MERV1209.jpg

From here, we plan to go a little more north in Chile, and then head back into Bolivia for a few weeks. We have a leaking air brake valve, so these long downhills are a bit interesting! Good job we can keep changing down gear to keep us slow enough. We went about 18 miles down a mountain, and in those 18 miles we dropped about 1.75 miles (Very roughly!). Till next time!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
OMG.....thank you for sharing....the video was awesome particular the narrows. Yes you should update more...I almost forgot that I was subscribed.
That was a great update.....once again thank you. I am so glad you are having so much fun. I in particular want to spend lots of time in Bolivia. We will see....it could take 2 years just to plan......need lots of frogskins to do this!
I'm planning to do it in an XJ....call me stupid....go ahead.
bD

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Merv - A paperwork question. Did you get a Carnet de Passage and if so - where did you get it in Ireland?

Thanks

Ian

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi Ian,

We have no Carnet de Passage. You dont need it for anywhere in South America that we intended to visit (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Equador or Columbia). However, the RAC in the UK will issue one for an Irish reg vehicle if you need one.

Hope this helps!

Merv.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
This is one the geeks might like. We got a chance to visit ALMA - the largest astronomical site in the world. I'm not sure how we managed it, but we had a great afternoon there. We even got to park the truck right by some Antenna so that we could show the scale of these Antenna in the photo.

MERV5648.jpg

And we got to see their transporter, a proper 28*28 truck. A bit wide for most trails though...
MERV5681.jpg

We stayed for over a week in and around San Pedro de Atacama, and found there was loads to do. The highlight for us was the Valley of the moon both in the evening light, and the early morning light. It was stunning!
MERV5583-Edit.jpg

As an overlanders location, it is well worth spending a few days in this area, it's simply stunning! We've been brought back to earth with a few service jobs to do to our truck, we have a nasty air leak that empties the air tanks in less than an hour when stopped, and since we need air for brakes, gear changes and lockers, I think it's time to sort it out!

Merv.

Nice pictures and trip report. Thanks for posting. I've been on several climbing trips in that area, Aconcaqua in Argentina and Tupungato in Chile. Also spent nearly (2) months in Peru, Chile and Bolivia climbing with XP member Vic Hanson when he lived in Peru. Loved every minute of it. I would love to do what you guys are doing. Wish you safe travels.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Cheers for that! We are not climbers, but can see why it must be high on any climbers list of places to go. We are looking forward to Peru, Everyone says it will be one of our trips highlights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne