Moglanders Travels - So this is South America?

Yes.........Peru is awesome. You could contact XP member Vic Hanson if you need any advice. I just talked to him yesterday in my travel thread (My Journey). He's also traveling in his rig (which he lives in full time). Vic lived in Cotahausi and Lima for about (5) years as I recall. We traveled in his 4 wheel drive van and had a blast.

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Hi Ian,

We have no Carnet de Passage. You dont need it for anywhere in South America that we intended to visit (Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Peru, Equador or Columbia). However, the RAC in the UK will issue one for an Irish reg vehicle if you need one.

Hope this helps!

Merv.

Thanks for that

mervifwdc

Adventurer
We got beaten by a bit of snow! We wanted to visit the El Tatio Geysers, north Chile, but when we set off to drive there from San Pedro De Atacama, the weather got pretty nasty, and the snow came down. We had never been in a snowstorm at altitude before (this was over 4000 metres, or 13,000 feet) so we were amazed at the temperature drop. The snow never got deep, but as it was open country with no fences or anything beside the road, we very quickly lost visability. Even though we finally got there, we were still beaten as they had closed it! Everyone gone. We did not fancy staying up there on ur own in case we got snowed in, so we retreated and went again a few days later. It was worth the 2nd trip!

MERV6018.jpg
Looks like we left the kettle boiling! We were parked by nice LR110.

IMG_0061.jpg
This was when the weather started to turn. Pretty soon everything was white, and it got way too easy to drive off the road.

MERV6110.jpg
We also stopped off in Calama to take a look at their copper mine. It's pretty big!

IMG_6110.jpg
Nice trucks too!

After this, it was time travel on, and we headed to Humberstone, a mining ghost town of sorts. That's a real nice stop over for overlanders as they will let you stay in their parking lot, and lock you in for the night. They have a pack of dogs running around at night, so it's best not to get out for a pee! :)

MERV6428.jpg
They had to make everything in and had the machines to do it.

MERV6387.jpg
Yes, I do mean they made everything they needed!

MERV6262.jpg
The factory is still standing, but rusting away slowly.

MERV6498.jpg
Brilliant trails on the way to Bolivia from Chile.

MERV6469.jpg
Nice little church in the middle of nowhere!

Ah! Just discovered there is a limit of 10 images per post! Hmmmm....

Well, there is more on our blog, including a spin down Bolivia's Death road. We decided to do it on mountain bikes instead of our truck, and I'm glad we did. It was WAY more fun, and probably faster too! We also went to take a look at the Cholitas Wrestling - Traditional Bolivian women going all out wrestling. a bit bizare, but good fun none the less.

Right now we are sort of broken down in La Paz, Bolivia. Not the truck, but the driver! I have been having pretty bad toothache, and had to do something about it. I had to go for root canal treatment in 2 molars, and am getting crowns put on next week. I was a bit nervous about heading to a Bolivian dentist, but it's working out great. Once we get that sorted, we will be on our way again.

We are also thinking about what happens after the trip, and when it might end. Gloomy stuff, but we might finish up next year. We are debating about selling our beloved truck in South America to someone else who wants to explore this brilliant place, or if we should ship it home. That will be a tough one!

Merv.

Attachments

• IMG_0951.jpg
    IMG_0951.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 23

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I looked high and low to buy a vehicle in South America before we headed off about 3 years ago. I couldn't find anything and ended up buying in the US and just doing Central and North America. So I suspect there should be a good market. There's a bunch of threads on HUBB about trying to change ownership of vehicles without taking them out of SA - probably worth a read if you haven't already. I recall something about having to take the vehicle to a duty free zone - but I can't be sure.

Sorry to hear about the teeth issue. On the bright side - I bet the work is a damn sight cheaper than in Ireland!

Ian

mervifwdc

Adventurer
We've not been slacking off, I promise! Just been too busy overlanding to keep on top of all the various web sites. We have just finished a short side trip to the Galapagos Islands, so I think that is telling me I have time to catch up on a few things.

The Galapagos Islands are a great side trip for any South American adventure. It can be as cheap as a few hundred dollars for a 2hr flight (Return), and a couple of hundred for a couple of nights in a cheap hotel and a bit of looking about, or as many thousands of dollars as you care to throw at it. This was our Galapagos Trip.

MERV98771.jpg

Before there, we had a good play around in the Jungle in Bolvia. That's a great spot to visit, though the road back to La Paz (The capital) leaves a bit to be desired!

IMG_0237.jpg
And yes, that IS a 2 way road. Some parts we could not see due to low clouds. Maybe that's just as well.

I hope the next update will not take me so long to do!
Cheers!

Timothynaustin

Observer
Thank you for sharing your Trip

Very much enjoying the photography as well as the updates thanks for sharing and inspiring the rest of us with such amazing pics and descriptions.
Stay safe and once again Big Thanks :)

photo_i

Explorer
I'd not seen that book, looks funky! Some of the landscapes could inspire that story very easily.

I guess you are not of Vonnegut's fan ( as I am ) - all his books are about dooms day brought upon us by us. :) But they are great read!

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi Folks! It's been quite a while since my last confession, but we've been as good as gold :)

We've been through Colombia and Venezuela, both without any bad incidents, and in fact, leaving us with a very positive image of each country. Venezuela has it's issues, especially right now, but the people you meet on the street - they are great - friendly, helpful and thrilled that you came to visit their country.

IMG_1364.jpg

Fuel shortage queues in Venezuela near the borders. once you are 300 kms in from the border its grand, but at the borders it is crazy.

IMG_1371.jpg

Students in Venezuela on a protest march, we met them going to other way, so we had to exit right and find a new route through the city. We got loads of smiles and waves from them, no hastle at all.

MERV2301.jpg

Shortages in the supermarkets are insane. Very hard to find toilet paper, and even then it's usually rationed.

MERV2334.jpg

The old cars were great though, huge engines taking advantage of the almost free fuel prices.

Loads more on our blog, including our trip to Angel Falls. On that blog post we have included a google map with our route through the country which was safe and easy as it avoids as many cities as we could, and still got to see load. We really liked Morocoy national park, not to be missed!

More in a while!

p.s. The mog is still for sale, now in Brazil. :)

mervifwdc

Adventurer
yup! And there were quite a few cars where there was more story than remaining straight panels! how they keep them going is amazing.

MERV2203.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94