Which impractical purchase should I make?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm suffering from a severe case of new moto-itis. Unfortunately, I've come to limit my choices to two bikes, both of them impractical and non-overlandy. My last few bikes have been very logical choices. For some reason I seem to be leaning the other way. I've already ruled out a KTM 950 and a BMW 650GS. This is going to be a frequent daily rider around town, a few short escapes to ride my local twistys, and other short duration diversions. If I do anything extended it will be on mountain bike or with my wife in our little Jeep.

Option A: BMW R1100S
bmw.jpg

Option B: Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
griso.jpg

The BMW I have in my sites is in ridiculously clean condition with only 8,000 miles.

What's your most impractical bike in your garage? How did you justify it, or did you even try?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
What a completely unexpected day. I decided on the Beemer. My wife and I met with the owner of the motorcycle and his lovely wife. ********-chat ensued and it turns out the seller went to high school with my mom in Kansas. My grandfather was his doctor as a kid. Anyway, I got an insanely immaculate Beemer out of the meeting and we made some fun new friends.

Must have been in the cards to get the Beemer, and holy crap is it amazing. To say it is perfect is a gross understatement. I can't believe it ever saw the open road, it's that clean.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Anything that makes you smile and feel alive is not impractical. Impractical is the life the average joe lives.
Edit: you were announcing the new member of your familily while I was typing. Congratulations!

sandalscout

Adventurer
Nice, the local dealership had a Boxercup Replika for sale for a good long while, really opened my eyes on BMW street bikes.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
She's a real stunner, this one. The seller's wife said her husband would freak out if he thought he'd get caught in a rain storm. He cleaned the tools and the panel under the tools. I'm pretty particular and a proper neat freak, but this thing is unreal clean.

bmwr.jpg

Here's the advertised flaw on this bike. There's a little bluing on the headers, and it's not uniform on both headers. That...is the flaw he brought to my attention. Not even any dirt in the bolt heads.
blue.jpg

Frank

Explorer
Its always awesome to find stuff like that.

When its that clean, usually its either a) they are hiding something or b) they really are neat freaks.

I think you have choice B.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Trailsurfer, that sounds like a great idea! I was torn between a GS and this bike. I think I will get a dirt appropriate mode eventually, but probably something smaller. I got a new road bike last week and a new moto this week. Lucky me.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
bmw.jpg

First ride report:

This thing is amazing. So precise. So refined. Not much more to say. Well done Bavarian Motor Works. Well done.

By the way, I have a confession. After almost 22 years of riding motorcycles, I went to roll this bike off the center stand today, and my gloves slipped off the tail rails of the bike. I frick'in almost set the bike down in the drive way. It was in slooooow motion, and I don't even know if the head guards actually even touched the concrete, but I somehow saved it. What. An. Idiot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier