Info about temporary vehicle permit and insurance for Mexico

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Let's use this thread to post information about the process for the temporary importation permit.

This can be done at the border or in advance online.

Here is the link to get it online and mailed to you:

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

Please note that the permit is valid for 6 months and you don't need to cancel it if you plan to go Belize/Guatamela and come back in Mexico (you will need however to cancel it once you get out of Mexico for good).

This is what the permit looks like.

013%20Vehicle%20Temporary%20Import%20Permit%20Receipt.JPG

You will also need Mexican insurance regardless of what coverage you have in the USA.

Here is a good company to deal with and they also have a lot of information on their site.

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/vehicle.php

If you have the permit and insurance sorted in advance, crossing into Mexico is a breeze. Otherwise everything is also available at the border itself.

Beside these, all you will need is get your tourist card and passport stamped, and voila! - you are now driving in Mexico on your way to the last great adventure of this century...!

Last edited:

kbeefy

Adventurer
Thanks for the info christian, I didn't know we could get permits valid for 6 months online. I'll be doing that for sure.

Do we need a tourist card in addition to a passport? Is that available at the border, and would we be better off getting it ahead of time?

Thanks!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thanks for the info christian, I didn't know we could get permits valid for 6 months online. I'll be doing that for sure.

Do we need a tourist card in addition to a passport? Is that available at the border, and would we be better off getting it ahead of time?

Thanks!

I believe you need a tourist card and it's only at the border. The cost for the permit is about $50 and I think $15 for the tourist card, although that will need to be confirmed.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
A little anecdote.

If you cross from Mexico into Guatemala near Tapachula, the Banjercito office is not at the border but about 5 miles before. There is a Zona Libre (free trade zone) around the border to the Customs is located outside of that zone - although on the Maya Rally we will be on the other side of the country near Belize.

We met 2 bikers who were totally angry because they had missed it and they refused to go back to do it.
I would not suggest doing that - it's much easier to cancel the permit properly when you leave than trying to fight with the credit card company later...

kbeefy

Adventurer
We got our permit yesterday. I've gotten personalized plates since I applied, quicker than I thought (DONK3Y). I don't see anywhere on the application where it specifies plate #, just vin. Does anyone know if they care or track it outside the permit? I'd like to run my new plates but I can stash them under the seat if it matters, also don't mind getting a new permit. I want to reserve the ferry and it looks like they do want the plate #'s.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
A little anecdote.

If you cross from Mexico into Guatemala near Tapachula, the Banjercito office is not at the border but about 5 miles before. There is a Zona Libre (free trade zone) around the border to the Customs is located outside of that zone - although on the Maya Rally we will be on the other side of the country near Belize.

We met 2 bikers who were totally angry because they had missed it and they refused to go back to do it.
I would not suggest doing that - it's much easier to cancel the permit properly when you leave than trying to fight with the credit card company later...

It is easy to miss it but everybody at the Guatemala border is very nice and will tell you to go back. It is really not a big deal. I have also entered Mexico from Guatemala at this border late on a weekend and still had no problems. Wait, finding copies was a problem since nobody was around to make them! But with enough begging the officials made the copies.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
BTW, everything can be handled at the border entering Mexico. There really is no reason whatsoever to do it before hand unless it gives you peace of mind and makes you happy. If you pick a fairly mellow border to cross at and do your crossing early morning you will be on your way hassle free in no time, like 2hrs tops. Crossing into Mexico is one of the easiest countries I have entered by vehicle, officials are usually very helpful and speak English. Everything you need is right there and easy to find and can be walked to in about 1 minute. It is nothing like crossing at some Central American borders!!

redlight

A few of you have mentioned the Guatemala and Belize borders... are there any similar documents required to get into either?

WorldRallyTeam

The Minority Racer
Ian is correct. They dont care about plates, if you get stopped by a Federal first thing they check is the vin numbers and permits.

If you have some personalized plates, we recommend you stash those and put some old ones on. Or use rivets instead of the easy take off license plate bolts. Kids in Mexico thing its cool to own USA plates, the personalized ones are a collectors item for them. Also nice steel tire valve caps disappear fast. :sombrero:

Wish it was more like Baja California where you dont need to get that stupid scam vehicle permit, only insurance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles