KTM 1190 Adventure R first photos

haven

Expedition Leader
Here's the R version, with 21 inch front wheel, crash bars, smaller windscreen. 148 hp, 92 ft lb, 9000 mile service interval.

KTM1190AdventureR_zps3d59e039.jpg

NothingClever

Explorer
Sigh....sometimes I wonder if my plot in life is to be the forum party-pooper although I'm much happier making others happy (ENFJ on the Briggs-Meyers test).

56 lbs heavier than the 990? Good gravy.....I foresee many "Adventure Riders" with one leg perched victoriously on their downed bike while flipping off the camera. All, of course, on a completely flat road with a single stone present and light scree on the road. It all rather escapes me. This new BMW-R1200GS competitor offering from KTM is disappointingly akin to the 8 ton MAN vehicle which an "overlander" slides off a muddy road requiring an entire village to recover it.

The only thing adventurous about this bike I'm seeing is the glossy marketing, the purchase experience and the ride in the rain to Starbuck's. I switched from BMW to KTM because I was tired of more capitol being spent on marketing than engineering. Looks like KTM is headed the same direction :( .

Frank

Explorer
Something tells me the more power, better suspension and traction control will alleviate the additional 60 pounds.

I will admit lifting 60 additional pounds will suck. :)

Clutch

<---Pass
Sigh....sometimes I wonder if my plot in life is to be the forum party-pooper although I'm much happier making others happy (ENFJ on the Briggs-Meyers test).

56 lbs heavier than the 990? Good gravy.....I foresee many "Adventure Riders" with one leg perched victoriously on their downed bike while flipping off the camera. All, of course, on a completely flat road with a single stone present and light scree on the road. It all rather escapes me. This new BMW-R1200GS competitor offering from KTM is disappointingly akin to the 8 ton MAN vehicle which an "overlander" slides off a muddy road requiring an entire village to recover it.

The only thing adventurous about this bike I'm seeing is the glossy marketing, the purchase experience and the ride in the rain to Starbuck's. I switched from BMW to KTM because I was tired of more capitol being spent on marketing than engineering. Looks like KTM is headed the same direction :( .

You can probably loose 20 pounds by looping off that cat/muffler.

Switch from BMW to KTM because of KTM's lack of glossy marketing...ah ok? KTM has more promotional products than any other company out there, have you not looked through their hard parts catalog or the casual clothing line catalog lately...do we really need a KTM coffee maker....or toaster, or dog bowl, or....

IMG_3229.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
Here's the R version, with 21 inch front wheel, crash bars, smaller windscreen. 148 hp, 92 ft lb, 9000 mile service interval.

KTM1190AdventureR_zps3d59e039.jpg

Not diggin' on the low slung exhaust or the high fuel tank...

I believe the new engine is a detuned RC8, that is found in their super bike.

146_0806_04_z+2008_KTM_RC8_1190+1148cc_v-twin_engine.jpg

Found a picture of the version in the ADV.

ktm-1190-Adventure-engine-599x403.jpg

2013-KTM-Adventure-1190-Adventure-R-3.jpg

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
You can probably loose 20 pounds by looping off that cat/muffler.

Switch from BMW to KTM because of KTM's lack of glossy marketing...ah ok? KTM has more promotional products than any other company out there, have you not looked through their hard parts catalog or the casual clothing line catalog lately...do we really need a KTM coffee maker....or toaster, or dog bowl, or....

View attachment 121974

They do have KTM dog stuff. I saw a water bottle for dogs. I have two KTMs because they make niche bikes. They find a void in the market and fill it well. This turns their owners into fanatics. My little 200 is perfect for my needs. Size of a 125 with the power of a 250. It has great everything and weighs 220 lbs making it a single track dream. I live in an area that has miles of tight single track. The big Ktms are just a hooligans toy. Perfect!

Cody1771

Explorer
your question should be why do we not need a KTM coffee maker? i personally like the bike, its a bit on the heavy side but im hopeing the suspension relfects that for guys that like to load up there adventure bike like a truck. i will be intrested to see the price point on it. since in Canada the 990 is around 17K new, any higher and it will be competing with the 1200gs and the super T, which are both nicer bikes imo.

Clutch

<---Pass
They do have KTM dog stuff. I saw a water bottle for dogs. I have two KTMs because they make niche bikes. They find a void in the market and fill it well. This turns their owners into fanatics. My little 200 is perfect for my needs. Size of a 125 with the power of a 250. It has great everything and weighs 220 lbs making it a single track dream. I live in an area that has miles of tight single track. The big Ktms are just a hooligans toy. Perfect!

Yeah my riding buddy goes ape over Orange, even painted the inside of his entire house orange...

Oh, I have had a couple few KTM's, never got into the whole branding thing, though.

I am more excited about the new 2T Betas...

http://www.americanbeta.com/

527570_349551055130503_614458530_n.jpg

Cody1771

Explorer
well to be honest there are a ton of "adventure" bikes out there and KTM is rarely at the top of the list, the 990 never sold well (especially here where they've had the same 3 in the showroom for 1.5 years now without selling) i can understand there viewpoint, as has been stated here before KTM is a niche market, and ADV riders are far from a niche. yes there is a street version of the new 1150, but there is also a dirt version, a little heavier a lot more powerfull i would buy it if i didnt love my strom so much. i think its a good move for KTM

NothingClever

Explorer

I switched awhile ago when the Hard Parts catalog had tons more upgrade components bred from race technology while BMW simply had key fobs, stainless steel coffee mugs and so forth. Like I said, it looks like KTM is headed the same direction that BMW went in the 90s....the prioritization of talent seems to be shifting to their marketing department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior