Mid Sized Ducati Multistrada

jerdog53

Explorer
Took delivery of this little one last week...

IMG_0465_zps6d3e7823.jpg

Found time to put over 330 miles on this last weekend

IMG_0454_zpsa42cf8ca.jpg

So far really loving the light nimble dirt bike feel!

IMG_0464_zpsd6e2c19c.jpg

Seat hight was a little taller than expected for my 32" inseam but it doesn't put me off at all, sitting in the saddle places me a little more forward than expected but farther back than the air cooled style motard and but that feeling has gone away and I don't even notice anymore.

Engine noise wasn't anything unusual for a Duc so bonus there for the new engine design, it is diffidently smooth and quiet, soon to change....

Seat height to foot peg ratio is good with a proper bent to my knee, not too little or too much. In Touring mode you would not notice any twitchy throttle anywhere or in any mode for that matter even at slow speeds. Acceleration is nice but not as strong as anticipated even in sport mode but you must remember this is a new not broken in motor so things will only get better and the grins will get bigger. Exhaust note was pleasant not overly loud for those not interested in hearing their Duc's. Brakes are strong and comforting, i have not been able to engage the ABS so cannot comment on that. Cable activated clutch is not even noticeable the fact that it is a cable would surprise most with its smoothness, its so light. Slipper clutch does its job on some hard downshifting and did not allow the rear to skid. Found it to be very light and nimble as expected for handling it really feels like a big dirt bike which is exactly the intent! The turn signals have standard bulbs installed not LEDs which make them less expensive to replace and easily upgradable if so desired. Mirrors could be a little bigger and wider but thats just compared to what I'm used to. All in all its a very favorable package!

IMG_0474_zps2152a75c.jpg

I fully intent to Adventureize my Strada that is why I bought it and all the haters that say Ducati’s are too pretty to get dirty or say you can’t go anywhere with 17” wheels well I say they can go suck it!!

I am looking at the Metzler Karoo 3 on the rear and the Metzler Sahara 3 on the front in a 130, we are so limited in size choices right now. I would do the TCK80 with a little prodding but the longevity is my only issue and I want to give the new Karoo 3s a shot.

Suspension wise I think I’ll live with it for a while and get good and familiar with it then maybe i'll start changing things up by putting 5WT oil in the forks down from the 7 and evaluate from there with real world jeep trail testing, not single tracks

Woody’s Wheel Works here in Denver has built Spoke wheels for lots of Ducati’s on Excel rims over the years for Multistrada and Hypermotards so if need be they can be had albeit for a price.

I personally have been hounding the aftermarket folks about farkles like better sump guards, water pump guard, radiator guard, engine guards, larger foot pegs with mixed results. Venders like Touratec, Altrider, Twisted Throttle, Strada Avvneturose, Woody’s Wheel Works and California Cycle Works along with Belleview Ducati near Seattle home of the Adventure Hypermotard.

Fuel range so far on this slightly broke in motor has been pulling an honest 55 to 60 mpg which should remain fairly consistent after the break in period ends and the right grip gets twisted much more....

Have done 70 mph on the freeway and had no buffeting with my Arai XD very clean and quiet at free way speeds for my hight away way.

I rode the Rampart Range road yesterday afternoon that runs along the foothills south of Denver all dirt with wash board, gravel and had no issues with handling! The suspension was fine for my buck 50 weight and better than I’m used to. Not having much experience with well suspended bikes I don’t know what I’m missing. I did get the DTC to go off a time or two spinning the back tire and did not get busy with it enough to have the ABS go off, still getting a feel for the girl, couple of guys on big thumpers gave my quite the eye when I passed them most likely thinking what the heck is that. Lots of twistys up in that area for big grin factor as well!

Oh and on page 8 of the owner’s manual is says “this motorcycle may be used on dirt roads or for off-road riding”

You have no excuse now!

jerdog53

Explorer
Ok so a few updates and additions to the new Duc....

Added my Montana to the mix..

IMG_0531.jpg

Mounting system by Gadget Guy

IMG_0537.jpg

Also added a USB power source from 3BR to provide juice for my iPhone, iPad Mini, Scaled Rider or what ever else needs power tucked away in my tank bag...

IMG_0540-1.jpg

jerdog53

Explorer
A few bits of armor, it hard right now the bike is too new for many of the aftermarket to have created anything for it luckily some bits for the Multi12 fit sch as the Water pump guard and side stand foot...

IMG_0578.jpg

From Altrider

I have also done the canisterectomy since this photo was taken

jerdog53

Explorer
Looky here what SW-Mototech has produced for us Hyper Drivers!!!

mss_22_474_10000_b_1_sm.jpg

Sending elections from my electron sending device....

jerdog53

Explorer
Dirty Hyperstrada

You guessed right folks that's a Ducati Hyperstrada!!

DirtyDucati3_zpsc46b091d.jpg

Spent most of the day Saturday riding with a buddy and had a great time creating some dirty Ducs!

We did about 30 miles on trail 717 west of Woodland Park, Colorado, at elevations near 9K feet. These trails are pseudo single tracks that the quad ATVs can play on so nothing technical or tight but lots of whoops and some decent hill climbs.

DirtyDucati1_zps6cbfd81c.jpg

The ground was mostly decomposed granite, which you see typically in this part of the country, with a few mud holes, creek crossings and roots thrown in for good measure, but no big rocks—which was a good thing.

The bike performed flawlessly, all things considered, the front suspension could be better, but considering it's not really designed for whoop-de-dos, it was adequate just to slow down a bit.

Fueling was spot on, never a hiccup or sputter.

The bikes handle very easily in that type terrain and were very forgiving. Started in Touring mode then quickly switched to Urban with the traction off for more controlled wheel spin. I have TCK80s all around, which I'm very impressed with both on and off pavement, and they look particularly knarly in a 180 wide on the back of the Strada. According to my buddy, they are particularly foreboding with roost!

DirtyDucati2_zps227e19c3.jpg

There were several dirt bikers out on the trail that day and we were very much the center of attention, having Ducatis out on the trial like that—including the comment that a Ducati with TCK80s had never been seen before!

Last edited:

jerdog53

Explorer
So a few addition to the Strada over the weekend

Added the DP off road hand guards

IMG_1599_zps90c121ac.jpg

These units are LED opposed to the incandescent bulbs found in the stockers.

These are full on aluminum guards just like they should be.

IMG_1600_zpsd08ec7f9.jpg

SW-Mototech sump guard installed previous but without photos until now.

IMG_1601_zpsbfd592dd.jpg

Did not do a very good job washing that last time did I!

Also put on a set of the 2" Rox bar risers for a little more comfort while standing.

IMG_1603_zps850cf525.jpg

Really could have don't with 3" but then who couldn't use another inch? Not so sure the wires would be long enough for 3"...

KiwiKurt

Explorer
Man looking good.....really like those aluminum hand guards.

What mirros are those? Do they buzz like stockers?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles