Looking for Van with 4x4 and Diesel

mosq

Observer
Hi guys! Nice to meet you, I am new here and came from the nissanoffroad.net forum with the big question.

In 2010 I am planning to make a round world trip and looking for the proper car. I think, it will be a van with 4x4 wheel drive and diesel engine. It's a plenty of vehicles there: Ford, Chevrolet, MB Unimog, Iveco, etc. But I want to hear your voice what can you advice for me?

I will start from Moscow, Russia and go across the Europe and Africa, then plan to get to South America by the boat, go to North America and Canada, then to Japan, Australia, India and back to Moscow. The car must be not unique so I could get parts for it in every country, and it must be acceptable by USA customs :) Because your emissions law is much stronger than in other countries and they can not let me drive into USA..

Recently, in July 2007 I made a trip from Moscow to Baikal lake and Altai mountains. All trip was for 17000kms and I've got many photos from it, which you may review here:
http://nissan-4x4.ru/photos/nashe-raznoe/Baikal2007/mos/

There's a brief translation of my story about this trip, if you won't kill me for the terrible english, you may read it here :)))
http://www.mosadventure.ru/tmp/baikal2007eng.htm

Looking forward for your answers about the van!

Thanks
Eugene
mosqua@mail.ru

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Welcome, Eugene! This is a good looking rig:
IMG_0499.jpg

Thanks for posting your pictures, I enjoyed seeing them.

mosq

Observer
:)) this car I use to travel across the Russia. I could go outside Russia by this car too, but I think other countries policemen won't understand "what's this" :)))

mosq:
Hello. Welcome. I have similar plans though not as extensive as yours, mostly, around North/Central/South America.
Are you referring a an American full size Van?
Check out www.sportsmobile.com.
Have you asked yourself, why a van versus, your current platform?
I believe there is some limitation of a van chassis versus that of other plaltform.
Reason I want a van platform is because I currently have a 2 wheel rear drive full size van for urban boondocking and like the arrangement but it is not suited to go off road in its current setup.
I like the van for the full enclosure going about doing your daily business
and the inclusion of the cab chassis doing double duty as part of living quarters.
My neighbor suggested a pickup truck with a pop up truck camper. He said the truck chassis is much better suited for the task than a van chassis,
but that type of arrangement makes for separate living quarter from cab chassis, unless you get a crawl thru.
I also like the van for the internal storage.
As for sleeping, you can install a pop up like that shown on the sportsmobile site, and for full stand up height inside, or make for sleeping arrangement inside the van, with keeping existing roof, but you lack full stand up height inside van, or keep existing roof, install a roof top tent and maybe make a hole (sunroof) for exit/entry into the roof top tent, like from www.autohomeus.com (Maggiolina).
If on a Ford/Chevy full size van, I do not recommend a installing a fiberglass raised roof as it may not hold up to the torsional twisting/flexing when going off road or on the trail.

There is the Dodge sprinter chassis with full height van from factory. I believe they are 4x4 capable in Europe but not yet in the States. Also, I believe it is a 4x4 lite system and will have limititation for trail driving.

Good Luck.

Keep us posted of your search.
Also, check out sportsmobileforum.com

Last edited:

mosq

Observer
I travelled a lot with my Ford Maverick and I know now that it is small for such trip as I plan. After I got to baikal and back, drove 17000km with tons of stuff in my Maverick I see that the worldwide trip car must be at least twice bigger BUT it can't be a heavy truck (MB Unimog, for example) because they have many limitations in cities and it can't be used as a regular car.

So the van-body car is the best choice to take any stuff I want with me.

Also I want diesel engine (I mean, mechanical fuel pump only, and not that new commonrail systems) because diesel is much cheaper, is more widespread out of civilization (it can be found in any farm which has a tractor) and diesel engines has fewer parts that can be broken. I want diesel with minimum electronics (such as 7.3 turbodiesel from, if I'm not wrong, Chervolet Suburban)

Also I want 4x4 formula only, because it will give me more freedom and I will see more interesting places which are hard to get on the regular car. I don't plan to do all trip by the asphalt road.

It also can be manual transmission, because it will be easier to repair it. But it's not necessary, as I know, that automatic transmissions are also reliable. I will think about this later, it's not such important thing..

That's the car I search. :)

I found some site - www.quigley4x4.com
Do they sell 4x4 vans or they just install their parts on other cars?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Welcome Eugene!

I know you will get lots of good info on this site.

I'm curious, however, as to why you seem to be emphasizing a US vehicle. I've seen European vehicles here in the US, including a MAN-based world expedition rig and a Mercedes-based (4x2) camper, as well as many other cars with foreign license plates. I don't believe customs will prevent you from temporarily importing a non-US vehicle for short-term, personal use. It might grease the cogs if you can show proof that you plan on taking it with you when you leave, like shipping papers. Do you have information otherwise? For a US citizen, importing a non-US vehicle is at best difficult, and more-than-likely impossible. However, I don't think there are many limitations on tourists bringing in their own vehicles. Especially if you are planning on driving in from Mexico. I beleive that all you will have to have is a passport, visa, vehicle registration (in your home country), and insurance.

I wanted to say all this because if you are not limited to US vehicles, than your options are much better. We have a serious shortage of small- to medium-sized diesel-engined vehicles, and anything that you CAN get here, like the Quigley conversion you mentioned, is going to be a maintenance nightmare in any other country.

From what I understand, Mercedes seems to have the best worldwide service. Would it be possible for you to pick up an older Mercedes 4x4 van, something like the 814 (which was never imported here)?

ang030_m.jpg

I assume you are planning on a camper conversion. If you are interested in getting a European van and doing the conversion yourself, you might want to visit the UK Self-Build Motor Caravanners Club web site:

http://www.sbmcc.co.uk/

If you query European sites like that one, you might be able to connect with other non-US folks who have done exactly what you are wanting to do, and who will have the first-hand experience that we lack.

Also, a US site for 4x4 camper ideas and questions is:

www.expeditioncampers.com

For example, I think there was a recent post on that site listing all the fill adapters you would need for refilling Propane tanks in different countries.

Enjoy your trip, and if your travels happen to bring you through Austin, TX, let me know!

haven

Expedition Leader
another approach

Eugene,

You might also consider a vehicle like this

goanna-tracks-2a.jpg

It's a Mitsubishi Canter 4x4 cab and chassis with a camper added. The camper's pop-up roof allows the vehicle to fit into a standard overseas shipping container if you air down the tires a bit.

goanna-tracks.jpg

This vehicle was built for an Australian couple who used it to drive from Magadan across Siberia and Mongolia to Moscow and western Europe. Their journey took four months. You can read about their travels here
http://goannatracks.bigblog.com.au/index.do?ppg=0

Mitsubishi is represented in 165+ countries world-wide. Isuzu makes a similar medium-duty cab/chassis truck called the NPS 4x4. Isuzu also has excellent world-wide representation. Either company's vehicle would make a great choice for your expedition.

Chip Haven

mosq

Observer
Wow! Thanks guys! I'll take this evening for the review of all that sites you written about.

Regarding the customs limitations, I didn't learn it too close, but I've heard that every car that enters USA must compile several rules, including optics, speedometer, emission ratio, saloon construction, etc. I know that there are special companies, called Registered Importers, who customize imported cars to compile all rules.

Well, you may be right that if I am foreigner and use my car just to crossover the country, then that rules don't apply for me...

Do you know any customs site with automotive importing rules? So I could read official documents regarding this subject..

mosq

Observer
2 haven,

As I see, this Mitsubishi is more than 3500kg weight, so it will be determined by police as a truck with certain limitations in cities.. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mosq said:
Do you know any customs site with automotive importing rules? So I could read official documents regarding this subject..

Here's the first one I came up with:

http://www.foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/3customsinfo-nonres.htm#vehicles

Added:

(CUSTOMS)When a vehicle accompanies a traveler crossing the border a bond generally is not required. However, a CBP officer can require the importer to post a bond. You can obtain a Customs bond from a surety company. A list of sureties is available on the Treasury web site under publications, circular 570.

Generally, diplomats, foreign military, and nonresidents temporarily importing a vehicle through a land border do not have to file a Customs bond. However, a CBP officer has the authority to request a bond be filed.

(EPA)E. Nonresident
The vehicle is temporarily being imported by a nonresident for personal use. The importer must qualify to be a nonresident according to Customs criteria. The vehicle must be exported within one year, or upon the nonresident departing the U.S., whichever comes first.

No Customs bond is required; however, written EPA approval must be obtained before clearance at Customs.

The importer must file with U.S. Customs, upon entry, an EPA Form 3520-1, and declare code "O" on that form.

For US residents it's really difficult to bring in a foreign vehicle, but for visitors I really don't think it's much more than filling out some forms when you get to the border station. Assuming you are driving in (which I beleive is your plan), aren't staying more than a year, and are going to take the vehicle with you when you leave. The 'tough' laws are only for vehicles that are going to be staying in the US for more than a year.

Do you have a US Embassy you could go to? Try to get copies of the regulations they give you, and written explanations. I suspect that you should do that for all countries you are planning on visiting?

Last edited:

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
Lynn said:
Here's the first one I came up with:

When a vehicle accompanies a traveler crossing the border a bond generally is not required. However, a CBP officer can require the importer to post a bond. You can obtain a Customs bond from a surety company. A list of sureties is available on the Treasury web site under publications, circular 570.

I think you are going to find that a Carnet is required for other countries, if not for the US.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mosq said:
2 haven,

As I see, this Mitsubishi is more than 3500kg weight, so I will be determined by police as a truck with certain limitations in cities.. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Chip (haven) may have more info than I on this one, but I'm going to answer anyway... ;)

It would be simpler if your vehicle's registration lists it as a 'motor home,' not a commercial truck. Motor homes are not as limited as commercial trucks. I don't have any idea what your rules are, but here, pretty much anything that has a toilet and stove can be registered as a motor home.

Even if you had a Mitsu Fuso (Canter) or other 'small' truck you wouldn't see many legal limitations in cities.

For instance, even these monsters:

index021002.jpg

are registered as motorhomes, and the driver only has to carry a 'passenger car' driver's license. If the same vehicle were hauling cargo, a commercial drivers license would be required.

However, it would probably be easier to convince the Border Patrol agent or a police man that you are a tourist if you are driving something that 'looks' like a motor home (like a van). Of course you could always invite them inside... No matter how your vehicle is registered, though, you should call it a 'motor home' when talking to them.

Last edited:

mosq

Observer
Yeah, that truck is great!! But I wanna see that traveller who want to drive it in some european city, where streets are just several meters in width :) I believe, it's unreal :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior