Looking for Van with 4x4 and Diesel

Lynn

Expedition Leader
A related thought...

Many State borders (passing from one State to the next) have 'weigh stations.'

RVs are not required to stop, but if you are driving something that looks like a commercial truck the police may chase you down and ask why you didn't stop. It wouldn't be anything to worry about, but would just delay your journey.

Also, since the Oklahoma City bombing, if you park a truck-like vehicle in front of a government building or large public gathering, you might get hassled.

mosq

Observer
2 Lynn, thanks for your law links. Now I see that there must be no problem at all for me and my car.
I will start going to embassies of every country approximately in 1 year before the trip. Some laws may change for the next two-three years, so I will start learning them closer to the date of my departure to the trip.
And now I need to choose a car and next two years build it and make a 'test-drive' of it before it will take me to the voyage :)

add:

well , if the van will look like my current car, I believe, noone will think it is commercial :)) my car is presented on the first page of this thread :)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mosq said:
Yeah, that truck is great!! But I wanna see that traveller who want to drive it in some european city, where streets are just several meters in width :) I believe, it's unreal :)

Here's where you can buy one:

http://www.kingsleycoach.com/

I lived in Korea, Spain, Germany, and Turkey, (plus have visited about 30 countries) so I know a little about tight roads. I loved the street in downtown Toledo, Spain, where the cement wall of a building had a ~ 1/3 meter depression from car mirrors hitting it over the years. My friend had a Fiat 600

fd1007ced443c779fb893031f323c40b_525.jpg

that didn't have any problems getting around... but American cars would be parked.

But even here in the US I can't figure out how someone could drive that monster around. At least the commercial trucks that size are 'articulated,' so that they bend around the corners.

Oh, and they only cost about $750,000, or so.

Tell you what, just fly over, buy one of those, and you can leave it with me when you leave. That way you wouldn't have to worry about border crossings and importing vehicles!

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mosq said:
well , if the van will look like my current car, I believe, noone will think it is commercial :)) my car is presented on the first page of this thread :)

The expedition stickers and stuff should help distance you from the 'I'm a terrorist with a truckload of explosives' image!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Make sure you don't skip over that SilkRoad link that Rhode Trip mentioned above.

My belief is that any vehicle you deem acceptable for the rest of your journey around the world will certainly be suitable in the US. However, a US vehicle is probably not suitable for the rest of the journey.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Hey, I found a picture of that wall in Toledo Spain I mentioned above!

Toledo2.jpg

Notice the notch in the wall just to the right of the car?

I'd like to see that Kingsley Coach come anywhere near this street.

Most of the tiny little cars that DID drive around in Toledo kept their mirrors folded in. I think I heard that about 10 years ago they closed this street to vehiclular traffic.

EDITED: I grabbed the photo off of the web, and now feel I should point out that that pic appears to be taken well before I lived in Spain!

At least a couple years :0

Last edited:

mosq

Observer
My second car is Daewoo Matiz, so I know what is to drive small car and have no problems with parking and driving the narrow street. :)) I can turn around with 5 meters radius, no other car can do that.. Except of Mercedes Smart :)

Ok, I'll be looking to all that sites closer today and tomorrow. Too much information for one day :)

Thanks all! I'll be back :)

mosq

Observer
i've reviewed all sites... uhh... didn't think it would be so hard to choose, because one that have diesel and 4x4 is a heavy weight, and one that is light has too small space for the stuff.

PS: just thought if anyone used Hummer H1 to travel? :)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
mosq said:
PS: just thought if anyone used Hummer H1 to travel? :)

Again, do you want to be able to get parts outside the US?

(oh, and maybe the Middle East, if you don't mind burnt parts :))

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94