bigger tyres under an 80

Kenn13

Belgium
Hi Guys,

I want bigger tyres under my FZJ80. I was thinking about 315x75x16. Is this possible for an 80? Or is she getting slowly then?

What with the automatic transmission? I don't want it to break.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
What size engine do you have and whats the gear ratio in the axles?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sempertoy

Explorer
I had 315 70 17"s with stock gearing and now have 35 12.5"s. I feel like it handles the tires fine. I wouldnt worry about breaking the tranny, they are very stout.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I have 285/75/16s on mine now and did not notice much of a power loss over stock, handling is close also but off road performance improved greatly. I think with larger sizes you start to feel it more at the gas pedal.

Kenn13

Belgium
I have the 1FZ-E engine.

My tyres now are 255x85x16.

But I have to wait for tyres, in Belgium is it almost impossible to get big tyres. ************** government.

KevinMLee

Wannabe
I wanted to go bigger too... but I'm pretty happy with 285 75 16, They are plenty big...

The second photo has a US Quarter coin in the tread.

PhotoSep1713106PM.jpg

PhotoSep1713121PM.jpg

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
KevinMLee, how much lift do you have and did you have to do more? Caster correction etc? Also do you have a build thread, I want to your rear bumper too... thanks

KevinMLee

Wannabe
KevinMLee, how much lift do you have and did you have to do more? Caster correction etc? Also do you have a build thread, I want to your rear bumper too... thanks

Well I'm using OME 850/863 combo. I was using 860 for the rears but ever since I added a second gas tank the GVW was more than the 860 springs rating... so I jumped to 863 which is rated for constant load (heavier). I personally wouldn't go any higher than 2" lift because then it requires everything to be changed. With the combination of the suspension lift and the tires being bigger, it really does equate to 4-5" in overall lift. With the roof rack, I fit under 7'4" which is only half of the garages here in San Francisco.

Slee makes a full kit of various heights with the best components made for this truck. The kits include everything you need to get the truck lifted and corrected.... minus the speedo healers/speedometer gearing.

As far as a build thread goes... I actually never thought to do something like that... I may after I finish overhauling this truck. The bumper that I have from Kaymar is a special edition bumper. There are only 100 in existence. It's made of a tougher alloy than Steel and because of how it's shaped (1-piece) there are no welds which made the production cost skyrocket. Thus they only made 100 of them. Otherwise, kaymar is awesome... it's been hit before with nothing but a scratch. I would recommend their products for sure. Ben at Outback Proven is a direct representative of Kaymar and would gladly help you out.

fjrohrs

Adventurer
They will fit just fine with a minimal lift or look small on a 6" lift (like mine). I am re-geared to 4.88's and the power band is pretty good with this setup. I wouldn't want to be driving around on anything but flat land without a regear.

TheGreenBeast

315 75 r16 fit under my 2.5" lift with stock gears. it loses some power on the up hill but if you can work the momentum and "pwr" button right its really not bad. Gas suffers some. Never had much rubbing either. Just came back from Overland Rally in North Carolina and had tons of fun up and down the mountain roads (gravel/dirt/pavement) plus slightly rough trails near Tellico on private land. I even get better gas milage than my friend on 255/85/r16s. Though he has more weight in the back than I do.

Kenn13

Belgium
The 315 75 16 BF goodrich A/T is it still availlable in your countries? It isn't for sale in Belgium anymore.

Maybe new mud tyres then but bigger then 255 85 16.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

How to get your LC up any hill at 65 with AC on, 35's and stock gears. Im also pulling a trailer in the video.:ylsmoke: The hill is 7% and 3+ miles long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier