How to wire Extreme Outback Compressor

YotaPilot

Adventurer
DISCLAIMER: Please forgive my electrical ignorance. If I am completely wrong, or I am considering doing something stupid please correct me. :Wow1:

I am starting to put together the plans for my dual battery system with accessories. I am looking for suggestions on how to wire in my Extreme Outback Compressor.

Everything is being installed on a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab with the Aux battery in the bed.

My plan consists of the following:
Optima Yellow/Blue top with extra posts
National Luna Battery manager
Blue Sea fuse block

My original plan was to wire the compressor into the fuse block along with my fridge, lights, and inverter. But I ended up with the portable version that has alligator clips (jumper cables) at the end of the power cable. Obviously, these do not connect well with the fuse block.

My questions are:
1. Can I safely power the compressor through the fuse block?
1.1 If so, how do I scale down the gauge of the wire so it will fit in the fuse block?
--or--
2. Would it be better the hard wire the compressor to the battery?
2.1 If I do that, can I run a 100 amp breaker in line to use as a "switch" since the compressor lacks it own on/off switch?

Any other suggestions of ways to install/connect the compressor to a power source in a more permanent fashion (not using jumper cables) are welcome.

This is the compressor I have:
extremeaire_magnum_portable_compressor_52.jpg

This is the cable I would get to more securely connect it to the battery. The whole cable replaces the jumper cables in the image above. This allows me to keep the jumper cable in tact and still keep the compressor's portable function if needed:
goodall-12-601-cables.jpg

This is the breaker I am considering for use more as a switch in line on the cable above:
51TJg2MEphL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:

4RunAmok

Explorer
I would say that is perfect... use a wire no more than 18 inches between the battery and the breaker, and then connect the positive of the cable shown to the breaker, ground right to the battery, not the frame nor the block.

Yes, you can use the breaker as a switch.

4RunAmok

Explorer
The only other suggestion I can make is DUMP OPTIMA, they have gone to hell over the last couple years.

Stick with Odyssey 1200 series, or Deca's "Eliminator" series.

shogun

Adventurer
And the BS fuse block? No, I dont think so. Check the current ratings but I think it maxs out under 100 amps (total) and each circuit only goes to 30 amps (?). I suspect that compressor will pull 70-80 amps on start up.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Id say listen to this man.
I would say that is perfect... use a wire no more than 18 inches between the battery and the breaker, and then connect the positive of the cable shown to the breaker, ground right to the battery, not the frame nor the block.

Yes, you can use the breaker as a switch.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Check your PM'S. If you have more questions ask em we are all here to help and guide you to do it in a safe manner. the jumper cables are great what kind of connection at the compressor for the electrical contacts?

4RunAmok

Explorer
I wouldn't bother with the ANL fuse. It's something that will need to be replaced if it blows, vs just resetting the breaker. But at 100amps, if something trips the breaker, you have bigger problems anyway. The upside here is that the Blue Sea can be used as a switch without buying two seperate items.

Check your local O'Reilly's auto parts store, ask them for the Cooper-Bussman breaker. If they have it, you will find the same item as the Blue Sea (theirs is made by Cooper-Bussman) at almost half the price.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
...the jumper cables are great what kind of connection at the compressor for the electrical contacts?

The compressor has a short cable that has the male connection paired to the plug at the end of the jumper cables. It's kind of hard to visualize. I'd never seen a connection like this before I got the compressor. I'll try to take some pics of it tomorrow to better show it.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Check your local O'Reilly's auto parts store, ask them for the Cooper-Bussman breaker. If they have it, you will find the same item as the Blue Sea (theirs is made by Cooper-Bussman) at almost half the price.

I will definitely check this out. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles