need tire size help

KELLEVRA

Observer
I've recently purchased a 1999 KR650, and am in need of some new tires. So I called down to the motorcycle tire guys here in town, and they are under the impression that there is only 1 size to fit and that is stock. I find that hard to believe. So my question is what is the largest (width wise) I can put on my KLR within reason? Thanks for the help.,and keep in mind this KLR is my DD but sees dirt every weekend:)

Cody1771

Explorer
its usually a good idea to keep as close to stock as possible, that being said that does not limit your tire selection, if your looking for a 50/50 tire i cant say enough good things about the Heidenau K60's, they are pricey (i paid $400 for set) but can sometimes be found at a deal, if your looking for something a little more agressive then athe TKC80's are good. i ride the K60's on the street a lot and they are great, and great on the trail to. with an outstanding wear life in them. run them HARD on the road though, they feel odd when run at low pressure on the road.

KELLEVRA

Observer
its usually a good idea to keep as close to stock as possible, that being said that does not limit your tire selection, if your looking for a 50/50 tire i cant say enough good things about the Heidenau K60's, they are pricey (i paid $400 for set) but can sometimes be found at a deal, if your looking for something a little more agressive then athe TKC80's are good. i ride the K60's on the street a lot and they are great, and great on the trail to. with an outstanding wear life in them. run them HARD on the road though, they feel odd when run at low pressure on the road.

Thanks, I will check those out

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The stock KLR rear size is 130/80 17

I've heard of some folks stuffing a wider tire in there, but you risk rubbing the swingarm. Not all tires are exactly the same width so you might need to do some web sluthing to find what others have used. If you plan on going with knobbies you might also have rubbing issues. When I run my Michelin T63 on the rear it rubs the plastic chain guide.

You can go taller and reduce your freeway gearing. I'm currently running a 130/90, and my RPMs are about 500 less at 70mph. The big trade-off is that it's harder to touch the ground.

lonestrom

Adventurer
If you can fit a 140 K60 on you get the solid center stripe ( not found on the 130 ).With the 140 you could probably get atleast 12,000 miles out of it !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94