Tent trailers which is the toughest?

TheThom

Adventurer
Not a tent trailer, but I think most would agree that a kimberly karavan is the lexus or bmw of offroad trailers.

I think the cost analogy would be more accurate if you described the Kimberly Karavan as the Leer jet or Gulfstream of offroad trailers :)

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I like the A-Liner, they have a offroad version too. I do not knwo how well they would take being beat offroad but reasonalbe wheeling, it should be fine. The frame is built like a tank on the one I used to rent. I also love the hard sides and no tents. Though they are not Small by any means too.

Aspen Trails Trailers

Supporting Sponsor
Aliner is made by the brother of the original Chalet trailers desginer/builder. Who sold it due them not getting along I heard. Early Aliner models had great frames like the Chalet, but the later ones are not supposed to be as good, but I must honestly say I have not check them out, just ran into a guy in Prescott who had just broken the tongue for the third time. Had all sorts of problems getting them to take care of it. They also have a small trailer like the Chalet. They are really neat trailers. I have thought about building something like them with an aluminum frame. The cost is just too much. I would never had sold mine if I wasn't building the Tear Drops.

Bob

www.aspenXtrails.com

Home fo the strongest, most trailworthy
Off Road Tear Drop made.

wingysataday

Adventurer
I'm looking at some under $3k. I have a beefy off road trailer with a RTT right now and it's great but a tent trailer would be much more appealing to my wife and soon to be new baby. I have been looking at http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/3276277415.html http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/3271830072.html. I like the 8ft box on the rockwood and it seems to angle up on both ends which would give me better approach and departure. I think super cushy suspension will be key and newer the canvas the better. Eventually an exo-skeleton type cage around the bottom. Here's another. http://boise.craigslist.org/rvs/3216651548.html. I will check out pup trailers or whatver. Thanks

wingysataday

Adventurer
ju,ping jack might be on the list as well since I have all the goodies for RTT camping already. IT might be able to handle a little more.

OGL

Observer
Adventure Trailers uses an independent air bag suspension.

www.adventuretrailers.com/suspension.html

I looked at adopting it, but too expensive and probably overkill for my use.

There are a few "Jumping Jack" type trailers out there. Unless you get a good used one cheap, IMHO are pricey. For the same, or even less money a pop up gives you more "rv" comfort and convenience. Usually that makes for happy wife and kids.

Having said that, if I were to do it over again I'd look more seriously at the RTT on trailer option. While the pop up does provide more creature comforts, the setup/takedown times can eat into your day. And on the road minutes can be precious.

Xtreme XJ

Adventurer
Since, it sounds like you want to do this "right". I've got an idea that I'd like to see come to fruition. I'd like to see someone take the top (pop up part) of a PUP trailer and mount it on an M101 or better yet M1102. This would be a serious undertaking, but would be sweet if done right.

I knew it was out the I just had to spend some time to find it... Woods I think this is what you're referring to (maybe not)... I too want(ed) to use the lifting mech. I wanted to try it on a truckbed trailer ... this guy went a few steps further...
Cool build... http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23783-Canadian-Made-Metal-Pop-top-Trailer

Curt

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Heh Heh, mine can-but thats not my NORMAL travel routine !

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

wingysataday

Adventurer
That was an awesome video but I would like to see them set it up directly after that torture test. The build directly above that with the modified tub tent trailer is really a great set up. Very impressive.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
The best tent trailer was a "Camper DeVille" all heavy guage aluminum box, steel frame, oversize leaf springs and 14" wheels. It did float! Doubt you'll ever find one, they were built in the early 60s and went out of business in the mid 60s! My dad had a camping supply and we had two of them, probably not a dozen made and ours are long gone, you're probably drinking beer out of them by now. The old Apache mentioned above was the leader in the market at the time and the DeVille was a much better trailer and cost a little more, the Apache had smaller wheels and wouldn't track like the larger wheel fully loaded. But, if you can find an old apache the box would be good to start with.

If you want the Rolls Royce of tent trailers, I'd suggest you have it built. That's the only way you will get exactly what you want, as tuff as you want and it won't be that much more, if any more (good chance of being less, IMO) than anything you can buy that is set to the demands of the market.

All trailers manufactured are done so to meet the greatest market demand for the type, shooting out to the demand in the market witin a price point, so you'll never get a manufactured off the shelf unit that will be the ultimate in all respects, they have to play the price-demand game.

That's a great marketing video up there but I really doubt there was anything inside it......we can do that when toilets, sinks, pumps, stoves and cooking pots are made of foam rubber.....LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior