Fox Wing + Airtop?

ab1985

Explorer
I'm in the same boat wanting a rear awning. I bought one from busdepot which works well, but I don't like setting it up. I really wish the Fred's Arm or something similar was available here in the U.S.

RedRiverGorge004.jpg

GR8ADV

Explorer
agreed had a busdepot at one time myself. Great when set up, but way too complicated for me. Good lookin fisher person ya got there.

mudshark

things change...

As it turns out, since putting up this post things have changed....a lot! First of all, I ended up ordering a Rapid Wing awning (see link) and decided to be satisfied with just one bed (inside the van) rather than going for two (one inside, one on top). This was partly motivated by my "finding" some extra space for extending the bed inside the van. Essentially the frame from a double sofa bed, it was too long to fully deploy in my short wheelbase Safari. This changed once I bought bucket seat swivels that will allow me to rotate the seats 180 degrees. With the seats facing the back of the van, I can now fully open the raised sofa bed so that the extra length extends over the lower cushions of the front seats. Satisfied that I will be able to build a full 75" long double bed, I've decided that the "upper berth" is no longer worth spending nearly $4000 on.
Thanks for your input folks. I hope my little discovery solves a problem for one or more of you too. Later...John B.

http://www.suparvaustralia.com.au/Rapid_Wing_p/rwa24.htm

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As it turns out, since putting up this post things have changed....a lot! First of all, I ended up ordering a Rapid Wing awning (see link) and decided to be satisfied with just one bed (inside the van) rather than going for two (one inside, one on top).
Glad it's all working out, John. One word of advice that you probably don't need: Follow the "have two people when putting up the awning in a high wind" advice. Don't ask me how I know this is important. ;)

globalkiwi

Foxwing

I cannot say enough good things about my Foxwing. A really great awning that I have attached to a Hilux Surf (4Runner) via a Rhino Rack roofrack. Especially useful at family days when there are elderly rello's around and they need to stay out of the sun. Or in it, depending on how well you get on with them.

It's important to use ALL the tie down points otherwise it might begin to act like an Americas Cup yacht.

Just love it - well built, much like all ARB products.

Regards,

Richard.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Any word on price? That sounds pretty cool if the price is right.
Foxwings have gotten a little cheaper over the past couple of years . . . looks like you'd pay about $550 now, though they'll be some additional cost for whatever attachment hardware you need. Seems to me to be fairly priced for what you get. In my use, it's proven a quality piece of kit that's surprisingly easy to use.

BigDan

Observer
Foxwings have gotten a little cheaper over the past couple of years . . . looks like you'd pay about $550 now, though they'll be some additional cost for whatever attachment hardware you need. Seems to me to be fairly priced for what you get. In my use, it's proven a quality piece of kit that's surprisingly easy to use.

first post for me ,

I plan to buy one of these foxwing for my 94 westfalia .....the principle behind this awning is great ! it covers so much space .....
is the recommended awning extension really usefull ?

I`m concerned about longevity of the awning fabric ...

Where can I get one ? for around $550.00 :)

thanks ,

Dan

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
just went to have a look........... $584.98 ..maybe sale is over ! ;-(
You have to actually select the awning and add it to the cart. Then the in cart total will reflect a $58.50 discount., making it $526.48. At least that's how it seems to work for me.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
got a Shadyboy...

I've owned the Shadyboy awning for about a year now. My rig is a Tundra Crewmax with the 5.5' bed. I was limited in the amount of mounting 'real estate' available. Currently, I have a Snugtop topper with a custom Bajarack. I did not want the awning case pouring over the cab of my rig. I think this is an elegant solution.

IMG_0672_zps25e8ec7f.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

There is alot of engineering that went into this awning. I recommend it highly.

Regards,

BWJ

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I've owned the Shadyboy awning for about a year now. My rig is a Tundra Crewmax with the 5.5' bed. I was limited in the amount of mounting 'real estate' available. Currently, I have a Snugtop topper with a custom Bajarack. I did not want the awning case pouring over the cab of my rig. I think this is an elegant solution.

IMG_0672_zps25e8ec7f.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

There is alot of engineering that went into this awning. I recommend it highly.

Regards,

BWJ

Setup/take down time on the shady boy?

It is appealing to me mostly because I could mount it to the rear of my j30 jeep top. I would have taken the to wing off of the side (via trees) on a few occasions. But the fox wing setup covers the side and rear door and looks to be a quicker setup (assuming light winds).

I may have to see if I can get Mike to meet up with me some day to show me the fox wing.... ;)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I may have to see if I can get Mike to meet up with me some day to show me the fox wing.... ;)
I always aspired to one day own an awning people would travel from all over the world to see. :sombrero:

Anytime you're headed near OR 217 and Walker Road, let me know and we'll arrange a demo. Choose a calm day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles