Difference between Hilux & Tacoma

Joash

Adventurer
Beyond cosmetics & the availability of a diesel engine, what is the difference between the two?

Why is the Hilux preferred?

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
The best summation to the differences that I have seen was this:
The Tacoma is made for nice places like the US, where it needs to drive and ride nice. IT sometimes gets tough jobs like carrying Mtn Bikes or wet dogs. When it gets banged up, its sent to a body shop and the bad stuff is unbolted and replaced.
The Hilux is made for everywhere else in the world. Its born into the working class. Its destined to haul anything under a ton over, around and through just about any place. The trade-off is that its rougher around the edges- doesn't ride and handle as nice. When it gets banged up, in many places its just hammered until straight again.
That doesn't mean the Tacoma is a prissy little weakling. Sure, the plastic bed is less than ideal, but otherwise it can be made to do most of the things the Hilux does. In the end it might give up a little sooner- maybe 400k instead of a half million miles.

Reactions: bkg

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I believe the Tacoma also has a higher tow rating as North Americans are more likely to use a truck to tow something. I believe the Tacoma is also a bit bigger.

Mrknowitall has accurately described perceptions of the two trucks. I don't know that a Hilux is necessarily preferred, but it certainly has a longer reputation of durability.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
All of the above. The Hilux will haul a ton (literally) but reportedly rides like it, too. The Tacoma is built for the more 'improved' parts of the world where you're more likely to be pulling 2000lbs on a trailer than hauling it in the bed. Needless to say, each truck's character reflects its intended market. As far as which one is preferred?.. The grass is always greener on the other side, lol, so the Hilux is almost desirable by default just like all the Toyota diesel powertrains we don't get.

In the end that's not stopping a ton of Taco owners in North America from going to remote places in their truck. Diesel motors aside, I think I'd rather spend a day of interstate highway travel in a Tacoma, and that's the reality of our market.

DorB

Adventurer
. In the end it might give up a little sooner- maybe 400k instead of a half million miles.
700k+ km on the odometer without opening or replacing the diesel engine is very common for hilux.
500K is considerd "normal" for 97' models and common for 98+.

DorB

Adventurer
, I think I'd rather spend a day of interstate highway travel in a Tacoma, and that's the reality of our market.
Aftermarket suspension makes a world of difference in living quality on/off road with the older hilux (solid front, pre 98 models), and the 98+ (independent front) are much more highway friendly.

Containerized

Adventurer
Had the choice between both, have spent a bunch of time with both, went with a Taco.

Honestly, the two are different in a hundred different ways. One big difference is that Hiluxes operate in environments where things like rattles, falling-apart interior, etc. don't matter to the owners (which are often oil companies, NGOs, etc. who are going to drive them until they get abandoned somewhere). The Taco is built to be loved a bit more, and you see that in where the money gets spent. Now, it also means it takes some work to beef up the Taco, but that's the fun part...

That said, I drove from northern Uganda to South Sudan in an utterly terrible Hilux with more rust than paint a year ago, it's odo had failed at 320000kms... and the drivetrain felt solid.

Joash

Adventurer
If Hilux has a higher payload and Taco can tow more, how is this accomplished? Also, what do people in other countries carry in the bed that is so heavy other than people?

Newtac11

Observer
A couple thing I noticed in this set of pictures of a 2009:

1. While it looks very similar to the new 2012 interior, That Sat nav in the dash wasn't offered untill this year in the Tacoma.

2. HAND BREAK! I really wish I had that in the Tacoma

3. It appears to be a manual 4x4 engagement lever, not the electronic turn dial on the Tacoma

4. The 2 12v accessory plugs, and 4 switch holes are darn near flush with the dash (as in the 2012 Tacoma) It may not seem like much to you until you have to lean over to find the A-trac switch. Again... at least 3 years ahead of the Tacoma.

5. The D4D engine. while it is only 170 HP, the torque and simplicity(ish), along with the ability to get the fuel everywhere, is what we Expo members want to see. That being said,there are a lot of folks overseas wishing they had 300hp gas engines, calling the diesels "gutless"

I drove a very basic Hilux in Iraq for a few months. I loved it. I did notice that the HP was less than my Tacoma. I also was able to fix/jury rig anything we broke, as just about everything on it was mechanical. (again, a VERY basic model) Parts are very easy to get, as the entire world - the US, has the Hilux.

It is frustrating to not be allowed to import one of these in the US, so that you can modify it to your personal specs in your own time, for the purpose of traveling the world...

anyway, Heres a nice ittle write up on one... http://topgear.bloguez.com/topgear/1510711/The-Toyota-Hilux

CZ Brat

Warning: IMHO rant. This is just my opinion. It is only an opinion. It won't hurt you or do any harm. Please respond to it accordingly.

Everyone says they wish Toyota (and others) would make available xxxx model in a diesel engine for the US. Which is great, except, it can't go more than 100 miles south of the border. So though it sounds like the perfect Pan-Am rig, it won't work. Gasoline on the other hand, works all over the world.

Until the industries figure out how to make USLD only engines work in the 3rd world, modern (2007+) diesel's are worse to have than gas. IMHO.

This concludes the pure opinion section of my post. Thank you very much. :wavey:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The 1VD-FTV seems to be able to meet both requirements, EURO IV emissions and 500 ppm capability. I don't know if they are fitted with the same parts or what, but the engine exists in both markets and even on the same continent. South Africa gets ULSD versions while other African countries I believe don't.

Also, correct me if I wrong, but wasn't (and may be still) the quality of gasoline a concern? A 1982 20R will run on some pretty sketchy gasoline while a 2017 2GR-FKS might not be so tolerant of dirt and rat droppings from a 55 gallon drum of gasoline.

I don't necessarily want a diesel to drive the Pan-Am, I'd like my Tacoma not to get such dismal MPG more than anything.

Last edited:

Mattm94

Observer
The Taco is designed and built to satisfy the NTSB, NHTSA, and EPA, as well as the US consumer market. The Hilux isn't.

The D4d won't satisfy the EPA without a DEF system, no matter how clean it burns without it. Where is a guy gonna get DEF south of the border? The new diesels are a pain in the butt, at best. Hilux would also likely have troubles in the rollover and side impact categories.

If they sold the diesel Hilux here and the gas Taco everywhere else, everybody would want the gas Taco instead. Its natural to lust over what you can't have.

FJOE

Regular Dude
I think a big part of it centers around what Containerized said above. I have noticed around the world that pickups in general are not normally driven as average-Joe personal vehicles. The Hilux was made for utility, and you almost never see one in a capacity that we as American pickup owners consider when selecting, purchasing, and utilizing pickups. For example- I brought my damn near pristine T100 to Israel. Immediately when getting it inspected and insured, I was told it would have to be classified as a "commercial vehicle". I explained to them that it wasn't, and that it was a light duty passenger vehicle, and that I was a private citizen registering the vehicle for non commercial purposes. "But it's a pickup, like the Hilux" they said. "You will use it to carry things, and do work". I had a tough time explaining to them why I wanted to own and register "such a large utility vehicle" for private purposes. You can tell that the cultural interpretation of the pickup truck is different, because if I registered it as a commercial vehicle, it would need different tags, special reflective placards on the back, etc. I am probably the only one in Israel with a pickup without those commercial identifiers.

I also think that a large part of it as to do with how people and cultures in other parts of the world see vehicles in general. In western Europe, like the US, vehicles are a major investment. They are a symbol of status, independence, wealth, and they are a large part of how people express themselves. We buy cool stuff to put in them/on them, go to AutoZone and spend a Saturday buried in the engine, or pay lots of money to have someone do it for us. When they get bumped or scratched, it's off to the body shop. We insure them so that when they become significantly damaged, we can get them fixed or get a new one. We pay a lot of money to make sure that our investment is protected. I have been other places where vehicles are just simply a conveyance. People will get the cheapest, smallest thing they can find, that will move them from A to B. They don't clean it, maintain it, or generally care for it in any manner other than oil and fuel. They keep it until it can't run any longer or it becomes a significant financial burden, and then they try to find the same thing all over again. I've been plenty of places where vehicle accidents are disregarded by police, and unless someone is hurt, it's malicious, or there is a fire, it's largely considered a civil matter.

Back on topic-
The Hilux is a work truck. It's marketed and sold to people who are using it for commercial purposes. People don't purchase it to go to the grocery store and drive the kids to soccer practice, because they can get a Skoda or Renault or some flavor of Honda or Toyota sedan to do that for much cheaper, and besides "I'm not a carpenter!". I'm not saying that American pickup owners aren't using their trucks, but that the cultural interpretation of vehicles, value, and utilization are much different.

My own opinion-
Having driven many variations of Hiluxes and Land Cruisers and US Domestic trucks and SUV's, I will agree that the Hilux and the LC are nice vehicles. Am I yearning for them to come to the states? Not especially. The vehicles that Toyota markets in the US are just fine. I've been a lot of places in stock vehicles, and some with modifications that the manufacturer would not recommend, in countries that I never wish to visit ever again. One thing I can say with relative certainty is that most of the time, it ain't the vehicle. Case in point the Toyota Corolla at a bush bar in Nigeria that I could only access on a Kawasaki Brute Force 750.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne