To convert to 4x4 or not? My Fuso FH does great off-highway.

micklongley

Observer
Hello Everyone, I have my Fuso FH for sale but I've been pondering whether I should just convert it to 4x4 or just leave it 2x4. Has anyone had success with converting ANY cab forward truck to 4x4. I have a rebuilt Dana 60 in the garage just waiting for the conversion but thought I would see if it sold before I undertook this project.

Here are the minor/major hurdles I see (I would love some input):
- The spring perches are 1.5" further out on the Dana 60, which means a .75" difference on each spring pad
- The brake fitting threads are bound to be a metric thread on the fuso and likely an American standard on the D60 (anyone know?)
- The front will effectively be lifted about 5". The rear will need either lift springs or spring blocks. I plan to use 4 inch blocks by removing the overload leafs and using the existing spring U-bolts. Even when loaded, the back is an inch or two higher than level - remember that the FH is an 18,000 GVWR truck!
- The U-joints on the driveline are HUGE. I will need an adapter or different yoke for a divorced NP205 that I plan to use if I go through with this. Does anyone know what U-joints are in these trucks? Anyone know how to find out?
- The transfer case will need to be shifted from outside the vehicle until a cable/servo/electronic shift mechanism is invented for this vehicle.
- The D60 uses 8x6.5 bolt pattern and the Fuso rear uses 6X8.75", unless I swapped a rear axle as well the front and rear bolt patterns would be different. As of right now I just carry a spare tire - not wheel/tire. I have beadlock wheel which allow me to unbolt the outer ring, remove the tire, and place a new tire on the beadlock. Its slightly more time consuming but its nice not having to remove the wheel from the Fuso to do this. I think I may just keep carrying spare tires without the wheels if I switched the front axle out.
- Small things like shock mounts will be needed to extend the stock shocks, or be replaced with longer travel shocks. I think I prefer stock for replacement purposes when on expedition.

It is currently on 37x12.50 tires and only rubs slightly at left full lock. I actually really like the lower center of gravity of the FH, versus the FG, and the 2 wheel drive traction has been surprising with my camper loaded. Without the camper it's a little too light to do anything too muddy or technical. One thing I absolutely love about the current front axle is the turning radius. Compared to American trucks, this thing turns hard! Turning radius would be diminished if swapped to a Dana 60. I've never needed 4x4 for the trails that I frequent in New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah, but it sure would be a nice addition for security/redundancy - and it would probably add to the overall value.

It's a real toss up for me. I can see value being added in certain ways, but lost in others. I would love to hear everyones input. You can see my ad here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/85353-Expedition-Mitsubishi-Fuso-FH-Travel-ready-and-in-Durango-CO-25-000-obo

Thanks All,
Mick

(I know I have a low post count but I have loved being a part of this community (at least in a lurker sort of way!), and would love to contribute in the future. I'm just weird about testing and knowing what I'm talking about before giving advice)

FG Surfari

Adventurer
But you are selling the truck, right?
If you were going to keep it I would say run it the way it is, as you obviously love the truck, and it seems to do the job.
I think it looks really cool too.
Converting to 4X4 would be quite involved, as per your descriptive, and in the end you would have to convince the buyer that you did the job on par (or better) than a factory Fuso FG.
I say keep it if you can, or sell it the way it is.

biggoolies

Adventurer
But you are selling the truck, right?
If you were going to keep it I would say run it the way it is, as you obviously love the truck, and it seems to do the job.
I think it looks really cool too.
Converting to 4X4 would be quite involved, as per your descriptive, and in the end you would have to convince the buyer that you did the job on par (or better) than a factory Fuso FG.
I say keep it if you can, or sell it the way it is.

Much Time and frustration is what I see if I did a project like that. Imho

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Until I was able to find my 2001 Fuso FG, I was planning on going the 4x4 conversion route with an Iveco cabover. I was planning to do as you have done, convert it to a camper as it existed (a 2 wheel drive truck) and use it. Then if down the road I felt 4x4 was worth the effort, I would convert it using a NP205 and Dana 60 just like you. Since I lucked out and found my FG, now just the camper conversion for the FG is in the cards.

I would say that reliability would always beat 4x4 hands down. The Iveco would have been a low risk project for me since I have less the $2,500 in the Iveco, a complete spare Iveco parts-truck and a NP205. Would I do a conversion on a Fuso FH valued much higher and when a factory 4x4 version is available, No.

You have experience with your truck and enjoy a reliable off-highway truck how it is set-up now. I'm sure your wheels and tires help that a lot. I don't see the conversion adding much value, although it would be 4x4, it would be a mix-match of parts that you would be well aware of since you did the conversion, but any buyer would be? ? Again they could compare that to a FG that was for sale.

I'd say enjoy your FH as it is (BTW – nice truck). And I'm sure I won't be the only one wondering. . how about giving us the info on your wheels. Are those ‘ex'-Hummer wheels? And what off-set are you using?

Thanks for you posting and info

Iveco
View attachment 124759

micklongley

Observer
Thanks for the replies guys.

Mog - I love the classic Iveco. I checked on parts for these trucks at one point and found them NLA - that steered me away from buying a local EuroTurbo for build up. I found my FH a little later and have loved the reliability since.

The tire/wheel combination are, indeed, repurposed Humvee equipment. I will start a thread on my experience obtaining, troubleshooting, and running these wheels. In short - it was a nightmare getting them and fitting them, and it has been a dream running them since. Pioneers always have struggles don't they?

Thanks for the compliments on the truck - I like the way it has turned out. I'm hoping it gets some traction soon though, as I'd like to make some space for the family.

I have been thinking about this project for quite a long time and MIGHT end up doing it if it doesn't sell in the next month or so. I'll be sure to document things for others to follow if they feel like converting a bigger chassis like the FH or FM.

I can't wait to make it to the next expo - it'll be great meeting up with some like minded people!

Mick

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Thanks for the replies guys.
Mog - I love the classic Iveco. I checked on parts for these trucks at one point and found them NLA - that steered me away from buying a local EuroTurbo for build up. I found my FH a little later and have loved the reliability since.
I lucked out in that a local mobile auto repair guy uses an Iveco as his mobile service truck, and had a couple spare trucks for part. I got his second truck, so spare everything. Plus he has figured out a lot of the seals etc that are cross usable from other vehicles. Also Tom’s Truck Center in Santa Ana has parts for the Ivecos. They are very well build trucks (the frame is 50% thicker then the Fuso), parabolic springs, etc.

The tire/wheel combination are, indeed, repurposed Humvee equipment. I will start a thread on my experience obtaining, troubleshooting, and running these wheels. In short - it was a nightmare getting them and fitting them, and it has been a dream running them since. Pioneers always have struggles don't they?
I’ve been pondering those Hummer wheels as a cost effective alternative so it would be great to hear your experience and advice regarding those. I notice you run the 8 bolt instead of the 12 bolt. Any reason other then cost ?
have been thinking about this project for quite a long time and MIGHT end up doing it if it doesn't sell in the next month or so. I'll be sure to document things for others to follow if they feel like converting a bigger chassis like the FH or FM.
If you deside to go big (FM) make sure to check out http://www.ruf-inc.com/aatrecfm.htm and http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/18812-First-Fuso-FM-from-RUF-Inc. Also we have a very active member on the portal who has one of the trucks Darrin built which they have greatly improved.

micklongley

Observer
Hey Mog, I went with the 8 bolt Hummer wheels because of price and availability. The 12 bolt wheels are pretty rare I have found out. I really need to get on that wheel thread and quite being lazy... Look for it soon :)

Still no bites, or even comments on the truck. Has anyone ever swapped to a quad cab? Or added an "addition" to their cab? That would be the best scenario for me because then I could keep this awesome truck.

Mick

FellowTraveler

Explorer
A stand alone t-case is the way to go if you do pull the trigger. An x-member w/good polyurethane bushing/mounts would need to be fabricated for the t-case, then after careful measuring the drive shaft (s) need to have yokes for u-joints welded then balanced, from here it is a choice as to which setup for shifting the t-case w/cables being the best choice to shifter. If you already have a drive shaft center bearing that is area where you place the t-case...

Lynn

Expedition Leader
//snip// Has anyone ever swapped to a quad cab? Or added an "addition" to their cab? That would be the best scenario for me because then I could keep this awesome truck.

Mick

I've been pondering the possibility of a cab swap such as you mention. The only example I have seen was the guys that did the Octamog. They started with a funky military surplus 8x8 (Esarco), removed the cab, and replaced it with a modern civilian standard cab. IIRC they used an Isuzu cab.

octamog.jpg

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Hey Mog, I went with the 8 bolt Hummer wheels because of price and availability. The 12 bolt wheels are pretty rare I have found out. I really need to get on that wheel thread and quite being lazy... Look for it soon :) Mick
It looks like TrailFab has both the 8 and 12 bolt wheels with Fuso centers (well Rockwell -6x8.75- centers). They quoted me a 3-4 week delivery for non-powered coated wheels. Available with 2.5" to 4.5" backspacing.

Has anyone ever swapped to a quad cab? Or added an "addition" to their cab? That would be the best scenario for me because then I could keep this awesome truck.
The cost of a DOKA Fuso cab might be expensive even as a wreck-recovery (unless a rear-end, the cab would probably have taken a beating). You would have less problem mounting the quad cab then us FG guys since you don't have a stepped frame. If you need extra seating, how about adding a semi sleeper cab. These can be had for in the $300-$750 range, with a pretty wide used selection. And you could probably keep your tilt cab feature (a great plus in my book) which you would loose with a quad cab.

Photochop version created by mhiscox, 'borrowed' from this Expo thread ( http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/27257)
View attachment 125831

BTW- Where did you get your cool extended front fenders? Are those off an FM ?

Lynn

Expedition Leader
The cost of a DOKA Fuso cab might be expensive even as a wreck-recovery (unless a rear-end, the cab would probably have taken a beating). You would have less problem mounting the quad cab then us FG guys since you don't have a stepped frame. If you need extra seating, how about adding a semi sleeper cab. These can be had for in the $300-$750 range, with a pretty wide used selection. And you could probably keep your tilt cab feature (a great plus in my book) which you would loose with a quad cab.

FYI, I once found a new Isuzu crew cab (cab only) advertised on Craigslist for $1000. Someone had ordered a replacement cab and never installed it. Probably the only one out there, though...

micklongley

Observer
I'm really digging all of the creative ideas. The sleeper cab is a fantastic idea - I'll have to keep my eyes open for something that I can adapt.

A few things that I love about the FH is the ability to fit 37's with minimal trimming, the huge frame, and the air brakes (onboard air). My FH is totally stock, the fenders are standard on the FH.

Thanks for all of the cool ideas guys, I'll be sure to keep you up to date with progress on the 4x4 or sleeper cab conversions if it sticks around for a while.

Mog - the front wheels have 4.5" BS and the back are 2". The tracking is about 2" off on each side, which hasn't proven to be a problem at all so far. The front wheels stick out quite a bit and I wish I could be closer to 6.5" BS but that is impossible with recentered Hummer wheels. In stock form they have about 7" BS on an 8.25" wheel. The biggest hurdle with these wheels are the bore size. I'll post up the info as soon as I can so you can be the second to try recentered Hummer wheels :) I'd love to hear how they work out for you!

Mick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94